Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issues seem to be getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 PM
brohoss
Tourer
Veteran: Navy
Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts
Default electrical issues seem to be getting worse

I've tried doing a search for this problem, but to nothing so far. So, i'm asking.
Started off last week with the right blinker not turning on when the button was pressed. When the blinker did come on, it wouldn't shut off when pressed, but would when coming out of a right turn. Then i noticed the radio front was flickering, for just a little while, at the same time the turn signal issue was playing out.
Also at the same time frame, the get gas light, when it came on, would flicker, it wasn't a steady light.
To compound the problem, ignition issues have now cropped up.
Turn the ignition, hit the button, nuttin. Dash lights come on, fuel pump, all sounds good, wont turn over, just nothing. Turn off switch, repeat the process, nothing. Like a dead switch. Started last week, steadily getting worse. One time, rocked the bike from side to side, it started up.
Tore into it today. Battery connections were good. Starter wires were tight. Took off front fairing, had a look see, nothing wrong there. Going to get my service manual from the storage unit tomorrow mourning, pour thru that.

Yalls ideas would be great help

hoss

Old 06-23-2018, 09:41 PM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

When electrical issues pop up- and seem to be getting worse and worse- i always suspect the battery. Im not sure how old your battery is- but if you could borrow a good one from a buddy, or bite the bullet on a new one off the internet (or even walmart nowadays), i'd try that first.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:51 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by brohoss
I've tried doing a search for this problem, but to nothing so far. So, i'm asking.
Started off last week with the right blinker not turning on when the button was pressed. When the blinker did come on, it wouldn't shut off when pressed, but would when coming out of a right turn. Then i noticed the radio front was flickering, for just a little while, at the same time the turn signal issue was playing out.
Also at the same time frame, the get gas light, when it came on, would flicker, it wasn't a steady light.
To compound the problem, ignition issues have now cropped up.
Turn the ignition, hit the button, nuttin. Dash lights come on, fuel pump, all sounds good, wont turn over, just nothing. Turn off switch, repeat the process, nothing. Like a dead switch. Started last week, steadily getting worse. One time, rocked I'm the bike from side to side, it started up.
Tore into it today. Battery connections were good. Starter wires were tight. Took off front fairing, had a look see, nothing wrong there. Going to get my service manual from the storage unit tomorrow mourning, pour thru that.

Yalls ideas would be great help

hoss
That one sentence makes me think you have a problem with a wire(s) in the harness. I've read fairly frequently of people having symptoms similar to yours and it being a wire broken inside its insulation inside the harnesd.

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

I've had wiring bad in the main harness up to the nacelle. My 89 blew the main by rubbing thru the insulation. Seems Oradtech is on to something.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:27 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Electrical issues can be tough to diagnose. I would start with the ignition switch harness because it controls most power when switched on. I recently had a problem with cruise power that I thought was the switch but now I’m sure was the connector between the switch and main harness. When I pulled it apart it was dirty and some prongs looked corroded. You could open the fairing and pull connectors apart and clean with contact cleaner.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:33 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar issue a couple of years. The root cause in my case was water in the front left blinker housing. I took the blinker cover off and soaked up all the water that was in the there and reseated the bulb. The problem went away. In my case the water seeped into the housing from riding in the rain. I periodically check the housing for any new pooling of water inside.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Check grounds.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:14 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Pretty good article on basic electrical troubleshooting as well as the basic tools to help.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ba...roubleshooting

Old 06-24-2018, 04:21 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Sence your problem started with the turn signals I would start with them. I had a problem with mine that turned out to be a broken filament inside a bulb that would make contact when sitting but with the motor running was interment.
KenK

Old 06-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

You don’t say what year your bike is.

Buddy was was having issues like this on his 05 ElectraGlide and also the bike randomly shutting off or not starting. Turned out is was a wornout ignition and a corroded negative main cable from the battery. Also, corrosion between the two cables on the starter post. If you have an older bike I’d check those things first.

Quick Reply: electrical issues seem to be getting worse