Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&s bottle jack failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Not bad mouthing the J+S because I have never used one, guess my point was the craftsman has worked so well for me that there is no way I could justify paying $460 more than I paid for the craftsman. I have used it in every way, removed stock wheels/tires and put new front and rear wheels on, a lot of maintenance done to my bike on the craftsman and I lift my bike about every other day to wash it, I have never even thought about putting a strap on it. I'm sure the J+S jack is a fine product, but for me, the craftsman does everything I ask of it and for $460 less. No bad mouthing here, just my opinion.

My bad.... thought you were taking a shot at J&S jacks, because of a bottle issue.....

I got a solid 10 years of service out of my Sears jack, with my softail..... It certainly gave me my money's worth....!!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

the jack failed on my cousins last year after 6 years of ownership called them up and I think he paid $60 priority shipped for replacement

Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Yup, J&S probably a fine product, but like others have said, my $100 harborfreight jack has done me fine for almost 12 years on at least 6 different bikes. From rebuilding front ends, tire changes, cleaning, etc. You can always spend more, and if you use it daily, you should, but for me I would rather spend that extra $ (that ain’t always easy to come by) on the bike it’s self.

Just 0.02.....

Old 06-29-2018, 12:07 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

MY RGCVO weighs 942# ready to ride. throw in a few tools, extra shirt or vest and whatever the wife feels is necessary bringing the total weight to 975#s give or take a few. The J&S is stable at these weights. The thing I like best of all is when letting my bike down it's smooth as butter. Not a sudden drop to the floor. I can easily push my elevated bike around my shop with no problems. I used a friends cheaper jack once and promised God I'd never do that again if just this once my bike would be safely back on the floor. I carefully released the the bypass and the bike literally fell to the ground. Jiffy stand was in the correct position so the bike stayed upright. The bike was my 2012 RGU that weighed in around 850#s. I ordered the J&S that day. On lighter bikes I'm sure most other jacks work just fine, but for me I believe the J&S is the most suitable for the heavier bike.

The following users liked this post:
ridgebackpilot (12-24-2023)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Frank's Deluxe
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you mentioned that use it with a Softail. I have a 2017 Deluxe and wasn't sure about the shock interfering.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Not to hijack, but if you plan to keep your bike up for any period of time, it is a good idea to buy a dolly.
Super solid and nothing to leak. Crank the bike on it, mount your bike on it, roll it easily all around.
Extra safe.
Mine is the K/L Dolly, lift the bike with any lift and set it on it - done.
Great platform for safely checking over your bike or whatever.
The dolly is 40 seconds into the video and may be purchased without their jack.
Stout.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 664 Likes on 408 Posts

When I bought my J&S jack, 5 years ago, I also bought an extra bottle jack from them just as a "back-up" should I ever need it. I think I paid about $25 for it. I haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know I have a backup. IF and when, I no longer ride, the jack and the extra bottle will be listed on Craigslist and I'll get at least some of my original money back....a win win!

Old 05-01-2020, 05:44 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Last year I replaced the original J&S bottle jack since it was 11 years old. It never leaked, but I didn't want to take any chances just in case and ordered another OEM one. Today I was going to take the bike down off stand for the riding season and the bottle had no pressure when I tried to pump it? Luckily I never threw the original away and had a "Oh Sheet" moment hoping bike wouldn't descend down like a brick! It didn't, but a seal was bad and it sprayed oil 10ft across my garage floor. Guess it's time for a new bottle? J&S Jacks is currently shut down due to the covid-19 and I don't have original receipt of purchase anyway. I'll call and leave a message and see if they get back to me in the near future. Or should I just go to Tractor Supply or Rural King and buy another a new 6 ton one for under $30 and drill new holes and be done with it?

Last edited by wagsrk08; 05-01-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:43 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought a J&S in 2007 and have to replace the bottle jack only once several years ago. I was disappointed with bottle jack issue when it occurred.

Totally great lift and has worked perfect for lifting touring, softail, dyna and fxr frames; don’t know about Sportsters as I don’t own one.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:59 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

I lucked up and bought my J&S off a guy that had stopped riding due to medical issues, he purchased the jack new and had it 2-3 years. I have had the jack for 6 years myself and it has always been flawless for both by WideGlide and RGU until a couple of months ago. Jack would not build pressure or build pressure very slowly, bleeding it per the J&S vid worked for me but after a week or so it would have the same issue. I researched and tried every bleeding trick around, as well as changed out the fluid, each time it would work a few days then go back to not building pressure. Of course the easiest remedy was just call J&S for a new bottle jack but they were shut down due to Covid, so I looked for a replacement. You have to find one that has enough room on the base to drill the two bolt holes to attach the bottle to the jack. I found one at Lowes that appeared to have enough room on the base to drill the needed holes. I did exactly that and its perfect, below is the one I found at lowes that will work out great
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black...Jacks/50273039

The following users liked this post:
slippin_jimmy (06-17-2020)

Quick Reply: J&s bottle jack failure