Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Twin Cam overheat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018 | 06:29 AM
blackxpress
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyjames123
I did put a new frame filter 500 miles ago.
Did the problem show up after you did that? If so, there ya go. Iknownot asks some good questions. I would also ask when was it’s last service and what kind (weight) of oil was used? We already know about the filter. Can we assume you changed the oil at the same time?

Old 06-22-2018 | 11:15 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

I would ditch the filter for sure. Buy a quality replacement. Also, what oil are you running, and did by chance you put something thinner than 20w50 in it?

Old 06-22-2018 | 11:30 AM
harleyjames123
|
Novice

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Welcome to the forum.
But a lot of unanswered questions here that need to be answered.

1) How many miles on the bike?
2) What mods have been done?
3) Has the bike ever been tuned?
4) Do you have the tuner (and what tuner?)
5) Are you the first owner?
6) What oil are you using?
7) Is your EITMS activated?
8) Is this your first Harley?
9) How good are you at working on the bike?

There are probably some I have left out, but this will give us some background to work with.

You live in a warmer area.
Yes, given the reputation of the Harley oil pressure gauge and the design of the Twinkies, once fully warmed up in hot weather the gauge could read close to if not at zero at idle, but 20 psi at 3000 rpm seems a little low.

First you need to answer all the above questions, but I will give you one scenario that you could consider:
The oil pressure relief valve spring could have weakened over time.
You would need a special tool (Fueling makes one, http://www.feulingparts.com/products.../Camplate/9010)
and there are instructions and YouTube videos that show how to use it.)

Personally I would not (did not) buy one for a presumably a one-time use (when I needed one I rigged something out of Plexiglas and clamps, but it was not as accurate and I don’t make a living doing this, but it did the job.)

Perhaps you could find an indie or dealer that could test your cam-plate for you.
The oil pressure relief valve spring could have weakened over time, especially if exposed to constent high temps. The valve and/or the valve bore could be damaged and/or have debris obstructing them.
(Which is why, FWIK, most reputable builders will inspect the valve and bore, and just as routine replace the spring with something like a Baisley spring to avoid problems down the line.)

But, depending on your answers to the questions asked, and the results of the cam-plate testing, your problem could be resolved by something as simple as replacing the oil pressure relief spring (along with the gaskets and labor needed) or it may be more complicated.

What was found when the cam chest was pulled?
Do the cam bearings need replacing?
Lifters, cam, cam chain tensioners, oil pump?
(Do not forget to check your cam run-out once you open the cam chest.)
Is your engine running too lean?

Also, unless you really like the air temp gauge, HD has an oil temp gauge that can replace it (if you have the desire and the money.)

Good Luck finding an answer.
​your right I didn't give a lot of info to work with. It has 40000 miles, the eitms is off by default. I live in san diego its cool all year long have Vance Hines pipes with sensor blocked off. I recently changed the ET sensor , but never changed the crank position sensor. Ot does rough idle and pop while riding sometimes. Could it be a cps I'm confusing with being lean?i wasn't sure if it could be the cps because it happens only after about 20min of riding, I'm also the 2nd owner and I believe it was tuned ,thats what the guy at dealership I got it from said it was said

Last edited by harleyjames123; 06-22-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2018 | 11:34 AM
harleyjames123
|
Novice

... .

Last edited by harleyjames123; 06-22-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2018 | 10:31 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleyjames123
I did put a new frame filter 500 miles ago.
Well, that might be the place to start...was it for a Harley?
My 02 Ultra and I just came back from a 3700km round trip.
At hwy speed and warmed up/hot it would read 30psi and at idle it dropped to under 5psi according to the oem gauge.
Wouldnt stall though.
Does your check engine light come on and stay on at any time before during or after?
There might be a few more hints your ride is telling you to check.
Top tier fuel or mid grade?
Just spitballing hints or things to look at .
Rob

** edit**
have back read a couple of things.
1) remove and clean the cps as it is easy enough to do.
remove screw and pry out and wipe end off and re-install.
Do not use a screw drive to remove it
2) remove the speedo sensor and clean the end off and re-install.
Again, just a couple of tips/hints , but have learned a few things along the way becoming intimate with my girl.

Last edited by CndUltra95; 06-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2018 | 11:43 AM
harleyjames123
|
Novice

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
Well, that might be the place to start...was it for a Harley?
My 02 Ultra and I just came back from a 3700km round trip.
At hwy speed and warmed up/hot it would read 30psi and at idle it dropped to under 5psi according to the oem gauge.
Wouldnt stall though.
Does your check engine light come on and stay on at any time before during or after?
There might be a few more hints your ride is telling you to check.
Top tier fuel or mid grade?
Just spitballing hints or things to look at .
Rob

** edit**
have back read a couple of things.
1) remove and clean the cps as it is easy enough to do.
remove screw and pry out and wipe end off and re-install.
Do not use a screw drive to remove it
2) remove the speedo sensor and clean the end off and re-install.
Again, just a couple of tips/hints , but have learned a few things along the way becoming intimate with my girl.
UPDATE : PUT A NEW CPS in yesterday. Things are back to normal. I'm guessing bad CPS made it run lean, thinning the oil. check engine light never came on, would of been helpful if it did. Maybe that's only when it can completely fails .Thank you all

Last edited by harleyjames123; 06-23-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2018 | 04:03 PM
holytown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
The first thing I'd do before riding the bike again is to replace the FRAM filter with a Wix or OEM filter designed for a Twin Cam Harley. Especially if that's the only thing that's changed and you had no problem before. I run a Baisley spring in my 2002 but that's really only an issue for early Twin Cams. You have a different oil pump and I don't think that's it.

Yes... FRAM is SHITJUNK!!! Believe it or not the stock HD filter is actually pretty good, and has twice the plies as the FRAM.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-27-2018)