Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Chart,Tank Bag or GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM
tonyd2017
Road Master
Received 435 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Roll Chart,Tank Bag or GPS

What form of navigation do we use. Me i look at a map put a route in my head and head out. I do use a tank bag and write the directions on paper and read on the bag. I have use a roll chart in my enduro and turkey run days, it works fine. and the GPS when i drive. I just need something for my Road King. I would like a tank bag but cannot seem to find one. Any direction would be good as long as the road has curves and no cars. If someone made a tank bag with map window i would try it. With the roll chart it is more work but more compact.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Roll chart for events that use them. Usually dual sport type rides.

GPS for specifically getting from point A to point B. Also lets me know where I am, and where home is.

Tank bag and paper map for creative travels and finding interesting looking roads.

Nothing for when I just don't care.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:26 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I use my smartphone mounted to my handlebars or in some cases keep it in my pocket and listen to verbal directions. Been looking at this as well: http://www.motomappers.com/

Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM
tonyd2017
Road Master

there are so many choices, I do like the tank bag/ map holders, and i have heard the issue with the RK ignition switch. A GPS is not my speed. 2019 is my run out so i do have time to get it right

Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

GPS for nearly all. I plan my exact routes and typically have them well memorized before heading out, however the GPS is a nice back-up in case I wander off in thought to remind me my turn is coming up.

Tank bags are nice as well. I have one, but rarely use it. My o/l uses it more than I do because she is on a softail with no GPS. I don't know why you can't find any. Kuryakyn and others have them. I just use a large microfiber towel between it and the tank.

Just look at all of the tank bag options out there:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...w=1007&bih=596

Old 06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I use the GPS on the bike but I plan to get a phone mount also since the Boom system sucks for trying to find anything fast.

I was just at that same spot last Thursday by the way lol. Rode out to Mt. Mitchell as well.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM
tonyd2017
Road Master

i did use the phone for a few days, used up all my data and had to pay extra. so phone for me is out of question.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyd2017
i did use the phone for a few days, used up all my data and had to pay extra. so phone for me is out of question.
Not if you download a stand alone navigation app. There are many, including many of which are free. Personally, my stand alone choice is maps.me, but I've also got Scenic installed.

The likes of Google is dandy, but not only does it eat some data, but if you ride outside of cell coverage frequently you can find yourself driving off its display map.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:48 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Not if you download a stand alone navigation app. There are many, including many of which are free. Personally, my stand alone choice is maps.me, but I've also got Scenic installed.

The likes of Google is dandy, but not only does it eat some data, but if you ride outside of cell coverage frequently you can find yourself driving off its display map.
Actually, the Google Maps app does download 'offline maps' now (at lease on my iphone it does), so depending on how far out of range of cell service you are, you may not run out before it is able to reconnect.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Actually, the Google Maps app does download 'offline maps' now (at lease on my iphone it does), so depending on how far out of range of cell service you are, you may not run out before it is able to reconnect.
This is how I do it if I know I’m going to be in an area with no service. You can download a huge area and it takes up minimal space.

Quick Reply: Roll Chart,Tank Bag or GPS