Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to drain a battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts
Default RE: How long to drain a battery?

Voltage was always reading right at 14.5 under load. I have no security system, so that's out.

I just picked it up and they say they checked everything EXCEPT the battery itself. Apparently having the bike all day long wasn't enough time to charge it and test it. So they sent me home with a shop battery until they can test it tomorrow. I'll feel much better if they tell me it failed.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: stro1965

Voltage was always reading right at 14.5 under load. I have no security system, so that's out.

I just picked it up and they say they checked everything EXCEPT the battery itself. Apparently having the bike all day long wasn't enough time to charge it and test it. So they sent me home with a shop battery until they can test it tomorrow. I'll feel much better if they tell me it failed.

Well the alarm is out. I've had a period before putting mine on a tender that the battery was real weak after sitting in the garage for a bit over two weeks with the alarm on over the winter.

I'd think that the battery never had a real good initial charge. I'm thinking that they have it on a full charge cycle at the shop and are going to run a load diag before giving it back to you.

If it fails then it will have to be replaced. Just be sure that they one they give it topped off with a complete full charge.

A lot of batteries gone out the door not totally charged, its not necessarially that the battery maybe bad, just not totally charged in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I hope it's that simple. I'll feel better with a new battery though.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM
fatboyemt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On average a lead acid battery will self discharge at a rate of 5% per month. So a fully charged battery at 12.9 voltswill self discharge to 11.4 volts in aprox 10 weeks. Temperture will effect the rate also. The higher the storage temperture the faster the discharge. For the battery to discharge in three days the storage temp would need to be around 3000 degrees. In that case you'd need to replace more than the battery.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

personally, i think the battery tenders are a marketing gimit to get us to spend more $$$$
if a battery REALLY needed to be connected to a tender, then why doesnt every auto owner have one? HMMMMM!!!
My SUV sits in the garage for weeks at the time, this time of year and starts up no problem
My bike might sit for a few weeks (2 or 3) at the most in the winter time with out a start, then fire up first time.
If you are not getting over a couple weeks without a battery draining to the point of not being able to start the bike (or a car) then you have either a bad battery or more likely a current drain.
Remember if you have a EG with a radio, the memory in the radio that keeps the clock and pre-set stations uses a small amount of current, the factory alarm also.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
louiep
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted in general so I won't go into all that again, but how long should a new battery last on an Ultra, assuming nothing was left on, before the battery goes dead? Months? Mine lasted 3 days and the dealer says nothing is wrong and I should have had it on a tender.
THREE DAYS? That dealer should be put out of business. It should last without a problem at least 3-4 weeks if not longer with no porblems.
The battery tender is a good bet if you don't ride it regularly.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

I have to ask you what dealer you are using. I am in Omaha and I cant imagine my dealer ever telling me something like that was normal.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

The test showed a bad battery. It has been replaced by the dealer under warranty. Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:45 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

The test showed a bad battery. It has been replaced by the dealer under warranty. Thanks for letting me vent!
Glad they made it right for you

Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, it's all good. The only thing that got me going in the first place was the implication that I was a dumbass for not using a battery tender every time I park it for a couple of days. Never needed one on my Fatboy (but I did buy one yesterday). I'll use it if I know it's gonna sit for a week or more.

Quick Reply: How long to drain a battery?