Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: One foot down or two?
One foot down
26.86%
Two feet down
73.14%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

When you stop at a stop light

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:13 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Why is this important, are you writing a book? It is a rare day in Oklahoma when the wind isn't blowing and gusty, so both feet are mandatory,as the wind shifts the bike from one leg to the other. Rumor has it that the police in Sturgis expect to see both feet down or you can be ticketed for an incomplete stop. Doesn't agree with the MSF, but whatcha gonna do? If you follow the MSF recommendation, will they come and pick up your bike if it blows over on the other side?

Last edited by btsom; 06-20-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Really never paid attention to what foot/feet or when or how long. All stops and conditions are different so im sure its not a constant for me. As long as I stop and dont tip over, its all irrelevant.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Whitecloudjr
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It depends, like many have said, road conditions etc. I took an advanced ridding course from a motorcycle cop and went through their training exercises they do in an 80 hr program with a very high failure rate. He is a rodeo winner. He told us that many of the drop outs are early in the program from injuries where the bike fell on an ankle. For stops, They train to have in gear, aligned behind a tail light left or right, right foot on rear break, and left foot down. (Well that’s my paraphrase) He showed us once simple thing to build a habit of: Angle your left foot down with toe pointing out at an angle (say 45degrees. 90 would be hard). Because if the bike goes over you can step out and the knee naturally bends outward over your toes and your leg doesn’t get trapped under the bike and not roll your ankle and onto the side of your shin. When the bike goes over and hits your knee and foot at an angle not designed to bend, it just knocks you over sideways and your foot stays planted and under the bike. Same thing for if the bike goes down in a slow speed maximum turn, your habit of putting your foot down with the toe forward traps your leg. Habit of toe outward, you step out and off the bike. I’ve been practicing my muscle memory. Glad you posted this though. I need to get better at my smooth controled stops which got worse before better. Focusing on this has highlighted that fact making me get better at overall control of the bike in many other areas. Those slow speed things that i don’t do as often or find a “cheat” for aren’t used much but makes my skills improve all over by learning the techniques.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whitecloudjr:
cficole (06-20-2018), Graham UK (06-22-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by 47Norton
I happened to be following a Illinois LEO the other day. When he came to a red light his left foot went down. I believe that LEO motorcycle cops are probably trained to do many things the same way. Maybe that's one of them.
It is.

Originally Posted by Whitecloudjr
It depends, like many have said, road conditions etc. I took an advanced ridding course from a motorcycle cop and went through their training exercises they do in an 80 hr program with a very high failure rate. He is a rodeo winner. He told us that many of the drop outs are early in the program from injuries where the bike fell on an ankle. For stops, They train to have in gear, aligned behind a tail light left or right, right foot on rear break, and left foot down. (Well that’s my paraphrase) He showed us once simple thing to build a habit of: Angle your left foot down with toe pointing out at an angle (say 45degrees. 90 would be hard).
Good tip.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:22 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh Jesus. Just do whatever feels safe for you.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:32 AM
brian4.2
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Left foot down unless my wife is on the back, then its 2 down.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:41 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

While I'm still getting my biking faculties back after many decades away, I put both feet down and usually hold the front brake even if on level surface. I figure the brake lights make me visible-er!

Don't know if this is the best way but I most always sit in neutral with left hand off the lever. As the time to start rolling nears, I clunk into first and away I go

Last edited by GittinThere; 06-21-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,816 Likes on 1,761 Posts

I usually start by putting my left foot in, then I put my left foot out, then I put my left foot in, then I shake it all about.

Then sometimes I do the right foot in a similar fashion. I've heard that's what it's all about.

The following users liked this post:
Gozzie (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

no feet down, i ride a trike now ! Oh Yea ! i only have one foot now too.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM
GittinThere
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
I usually start by putting my left foot in, then I put my left foot out, then I put my left foot in, then I shake it all about.

Then sometimes I do the right foot in a similar fashion. I've heard that's what it's all about.
😂

Quick Reply: When you stop at a stop light