Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bars/controls without PTT causing audio issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM
wuneyewilly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bars/controls without PTT causing audio issues

Upgrading bars, chrome controls and deleting the PTT button because I dont use it. I already had removed the CB unit, the console panel atop the tank, etc.

Not having the PTT button in the new controls is affecting the radio (AquaticAV color model). Old bars\controls plugged in, everything works. New bars plugged in, no radio controls work, even on the HU itself. I narrowed it down to the left side and assume it's wanting something from the PTT "loop". With the orig bars right side connected, the right side controls work. Once I change the left side from old bars to new controls pigtail, the issue begins.

Looking at the left side harness, It's missing two wires the book says are to the PTT...V/Blk (13) & O/Blk (14).

Any one else changed controls and omitted the PTT? What step am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2009 UC and the switch works off 4 wires. One is common and the others are dedicated to each function of the switch SQ+/PTT/SQ-. Some of those wires are tied into the volume. I have a Sony headunit and a Biketronics module for the hand controls. I bumped the SQ- after the install while riding and the volume went down. I looked in the electrical manual and sure enough it shows they tie into each other at some point before reaching the radio.

As for the other wires from that switch that tie into other wires I believe they would have an effect on the head unit when activated. I have the wires pulled from the first connector on the switch side of the PTT switch for the SQ+ and PTT function for use with my garage door opener.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 PM
ssgunny
Tourer

Originally Posted by ssgunny
I have a 2009 UC and the switch works off 4 wires. One is common and the others are dedicated to each function of the switch SQ+/PTT/SQ-. Some of those wires are tied into the volume. I have a Sony headunit and a Biketronics module for the hand controls. I bumped the SQ- after the install while riding and the volume went down. I looked in the electrical manual and sure enough it shows they tie into each other at some point before reaching the radio.

As for the other wires from that switch that tie into other wires I believe they would have an effect on the head unit when activated. I have the wires pulled from the first connector on the switch side of the PTT switch for the SQ+ and PTT function for use with my garage door opener.
My bad, it is the SQ+ that ties in to the Vol - circuit as in the diagram.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM
wuneyewilly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It seems the V/Blk and O/Blk are the ones I am really missing since I have the other two coming out of the volume switch. My two missing run back to the radio. Not having these two causes all radio function, via controls and on the HU, to do nothing.

I am not electrically inclined but seems like some loop is open or something.

Not all bikes came with the CB and PTT switch right, but had the same radio? There must be a way to override what I'm missing without adding the switch and two wires. I have the manual but no training in wiring schematics to fully comprehend what I'm tracing.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:14 PM
ssgunny
Tourer

Disconnecting the V/Blk wire (common to all the switch functions) and the O/Blk (specific to the PTT function) I am not sure are your issue. You removed the inner switch panel which has some connectivity with the radio also and may be part of the problem.