Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra glide for short rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Chiphorst
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra glide for short rider

I’ve been riding Harley’s for several years now. I’ve just stepped up to a 2006 Electra Glide. I’m 5’4” and I’m estimating that I’ll have to lower the bike about 3” so that I can be flat footed, with a slight bend at the knee for better stability. The seat that’s on the bike is very comfortable, and I’m hesitant to get a different seat that would lower my stance. My question is two part: 1) what are the best rear shocks to achieve this? 2) Do I need to drop the front end as well? If so, what the best way? Also, I plan on having my (5’11”) wife ride with me, so I’m looking for a good balance of lowering the bike that will be stout enough to support the added weight, while maintaining the comfortable, smooth ride, that I currently experience with the factory shocks.

Last edited by Chiphorst; 06-13-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 06-13-2018, 09:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

my answer is gonna be 3 parts:

1. ohlins 2-2b shocks are 12'' shocks but with the sag set, actually sit a little lower, but yet still have a decent amount of stroke for comfort.
2. being an 06, the most common way to lower the front would be the progressive mono shocks. lot of folks like them, i have never used them.
3. being an experienced rider, you do not have to 'flat foot'. i'm just shy of 5'4'', and i've never been able to flat foot any of my touring bikes. you just really have to be cognizant of your surroundings. don't park nose down in a parking space. even 'regular' height guys can have problems with that. to give you a frame of reference, the ultra low model has 12'' shocks as opposed to the stock 13'', and the front forks are lowered 1'' as well (which you could achieve with the mono shock) if you wanted to go lower than that, you would be giving up a lot of your lean angle. before you go to such drastic measures, try it with a conservative drop and see how you like it.

ok, i lied, 4 parts. 4. your wife is tall (well compared to us, and for a woman). let her be your outriggers when you come to a stop. you just keep your feet on the floorboards

The following 2 users liked this post by skratch:
Chiphorst (06-14-2018), Lucher (05-10-2021)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

I don't think lowering is bad. But not sure about 3". I have concours, which is really tall. I am more careful about wear I park. I also don't think you need to be flat footed on both feet.

You should lower the front. My 01 came with a lowering kit in rear and standard shock.That is supposed to be the wrong way to do it. It does ride rough, but it has 77k. I That does lower it alot. My 07 I went with progressive 440s and maybe 12.5ss. Better shocks then factory will give you a good performance with less travel. But don't go to short. Progress ive salesman told me 12.5? at Sturgis. E-mail the company ask what the lowest you can go without losing comfort. See what they say.

A corbin seat will give you a narrower stance.

Lower it to much and you will lose comfort.

I do plan on updating the front end at some point. Salesman did tell me it is best to do them together. Over 100k without though. But I am not a real aggressive rider.

The following users liked this post:
Chiphorst (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Anthony Nalli
6th Gear

I just picked up a '10 Street Glide and being 5' 4" had exactly the same issues. I got a Super Reach seat which moves me forward and down. Some complain it squashes the 'nads but while it's definitely a snug cradling I'm okay with it. I also had the front suspension lowered 1". The Street Glide already comes about an inch lower than other touring models so they didn't do anything more in the rear. I was a little disappointed but thought I'd give it a try.

I found parking and specifically reversing was tough on tip toes. Since my previous Softail had Shotgun air shocks I looked for the same for the Street Glide and came up with Legend Air-A adjustable air shocks. I HAD to have them, and now I do. Essentially I slam it flat when parking and can now just about flat foot. When riding I inflate to about 70 PSI and still have a low but comfortable ride. I can easily adjust on the fly if I feel like I'd like more air.

LOVE them!!!! And the slammed look when parked looks awesome too!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:24 AM
dab102999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you get the horned shaved by a good seat person (Mean City Cycle or equivilant) it will allow you some more leg room without giving up any comfort, and actually they can make it even more comfortable if you want. I am a little taller then you but I found stock seat made me uncomfortable, once I had horn shaved and a couple other things but mainly horned shaved it made me way more comfortable with the bike. I didn't want to lower unless I had to since I knew it would sacrifice some ride quality. With your height I would think you will have to lower also.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,079 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Lowering a 2006 3" and still having any ride or handing left is a tall order.

If you would get a 2009 up...you can buy a drop seat frame section, that lowers it 3.5 inches in the drivers seat area only...leaving the suspension untouched..that is the way to go.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM
KSRGU
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I’d like to add to what was said about Mean City Cycles. I only have experience with them, and it was excellent. They talk with you on the phone before you even send them the seat. For me, I had them lower my stock seat (‘17 RGU) 2 inches, pad me forward a touch, install gel, install a seat heater, and shave the horn. Absolutely a deal maker for a short guy. You have to schedule your seat on their calendar, send it there to arrive before the appointment, and on that day they get it done and ship it back. If you have an extra seat, you can still ride. If you don’t, you have several days to clean your shop. Can’t overstate what a difference that made, and the quality of their work.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:02 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,646 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'm only an inch taller than you, and I've had tall girlfriends/passengers. There really isn't anything wrong with letting them hold the bike up. Other than the times you forget to put your feet down, they aren't on the bike, and you fall over. Not that I ever did that!

I've got what may be a reduced reach Comfort Stitch seat myself. I've tried several other seats, including the Corbin Close, a newer reduced reach seat, and one or two others. I keep coming back to that old Comfort Stitch. I do stuff a bottle in the split as that helps push me a little bit forward on the eat.

I played with lowering shocks and not. I like the reduction in my height, don't like the reduction in ride quality though. I also don't like the reduction in ground clearance. In the end, I ended up at stock height with the suspension.

Buying a reverse gear was the best choice I made. I can keep the bike upright just fine on sorta tippy toes. Just can't push it around that way. With the reverse gear, I can walk it backwards out of anything. So I don't fret where I park or stop.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Paying attention to where you park helps. Unless walking an extra 20 feet is a big deal.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Chiphorst
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply. I’m a little confused. The last bike I had was an 02 softail heritage. I had NO problems with my stance. Not realizing that my 06 Electra Glide was air ride, I bought the bike based on the stance I had before starting the bike. As far as I’m aware, there’s no feature on the 06 that allows me to drop the bike on demand. However, that would’ve been amazing. It would be great if the bike had smart technology that dropped it as the speed decreased, slamming it at a dead stop, then lifting it back up as speeds increased. Kind of how the radio works. The faster you go, the louder it gets. It’s seems as though the majority of the replies suggest lowering the front and back, as well as replacing the seat. I know how much seats are. I have a pretty good idea of how much rear shocks are, which I could replace myself. However, I don’t have a clue how much it would cost to lower the front. (parts and labor). Also, is this something I should have my local Harley dealer take care of, or is it simple enough for either myself, or a non-dealer mechanic to do?

Quick Reply: Electra glide for short rider