Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini beast 5 horn problems....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Harglide
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mini beast 5 horn problems....

I am in the middle of a trip just like last year at this time. I have the mini beast 5 air horn, made by Custom Dynamics....
For the 3rd time in about 2 1/2 years, after going through a rain storm, the tri-sounding air horn has stopped working, and now only has one tone, and weak at that! Last year, i lost rhe whole sound.
Again, I have been in contact with the company again, as last year.
Last year, they sent me a replacement while on the road to mass. I just paid for like, $12 shipping.
This horn has been fine, strong, and well worth it, however a rain storm in Colorado a week ago, knocked it out, only working on 1 tone.
Now the company is telling me that 1) they have not experienced the problem I have been having with any other customer, and 2)they want me to buy another, sending in the old one, and if it does check out bad, they will refund me the money, sending another replacement! This horn costs $159! I cannot see why they do not trust my word, and wanted to know if anyone else on this forum has had this problem with this horn.
I finally got the "returns" department to agree that I will send the current horn back, and if it checks bad, they will send me yet, another!
Anyone out there have this experience? If so, have they let then company know that an air horn should not be giving out due to a rain storm.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Pretty normal all around, I think. Air horns don't like water, in my experience, and it's also normal for the manufacturer to check out the allegedly faulty equipment before they make an adjustment. You might consider yourself trustworthy, they are probably not so trusting. I'll bet somebody lied to them once, and they've never been the same since!

This company is known as having excellent customer service. Before I'd go down the rabbit hole of complaining about a well respected company's reputation, I'd just do what it takes to get your horn replaced. Typically, on this forum, these sorts of threads have not worked out so well for the original poster. To me, Custom Dynamics seems to be checking all the boxes well, although you seem to be displeased about it.

Last edited by Veekness; 06-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ybnorml (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Harglide
Advanced

Not really sure where you are coming from.
I asked simply if anyone else has had the same experience. I have had this ongoing problem times 3. There is a problem.
Didn't know I would find a sympathizer for the company!
I also stated my intentions. Perhaps you should re-read my post before you opine on what think i was saying.
I appreciate any info and any other experiences other customers have had. Not really sure you are helping out in any way.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

When you post on the World Wide Web, you open yourself up for a lot of different reactions. Some you will like. Some you will not like.

If you come on here expecting everybody to line up behind you for some company hate, that may not happen. Many of us have been treated well by the company you reference. I believe they are treating you well.

Your thread doesn't seem to be generating a lot of interest at this point. There may be a reason for it. No reason to take it personal, or get excited about it.

Just sayin'...

​​​​​

Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Harglide
Advanced

To each their own. You are one person, and really am considering whether or not, that you work for the company.
I too have been treated ok by them, but the truth is, that for $160, I expect a product to work the way it is supposed to! Not to flop Every time it rains!
And, no I don't expect everyone to line up with my concerns, but am LOOKING to see what other folks have had in experience, and what they have for input.
For the second time in a year, the horn is craping out again, while I am out in the open, and traveling.
Need a dependable source.
Your impractible view that I am on the hate wagon for the company, could not be more false!
Please save your holier-than-though, show for someone that cares to receive it....

Last edited by Harglide; 06-05-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,495 Likes on 2,680 Posts

I took a more expensive route to solve the anemic stock horn problem: I bought an M8 FLTRU. The horns on the 17+ bikes will wake the freakin dead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
TwiZted Biker (06-05-2018), ybnorml (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 4,114 Posts

OP,

You may feel like this is a great horn. But, the fact is you have had three horns go bad due to rain. Obviously, this horn doesn't like water. How many of the same horn will you buy before you realize it's time to buy a different horn?

Here's another alternative. Mount it in a different location so it is less likely to get wet.

The following users liked this post:
ybnorml (06-06-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Harglide
Advanced

They replaced 2 horns for repeated problem. I bought one at the start, the original. The warranty is the issue here. Will only mount it where it is supposed to go. Soon enough if this falls through I will invest in a much better, water free horn....

Old 06-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Harglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I took a more expensive route to solve the anemic stock horn problem: I bought an M8 FLTRU. The horns on the 17+ bikes will wake the freakin dead.
That's great, but will it fit a 2011 ultra classic?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts

best horn I had was on a 94 BMW K1100 LT - no rain issues. Not pretty though. I wonder if I could hide one under the cow bell?

Quick Reply: Mini beast 5 horn problems....