Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowers VS. No Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:37 AM
TXSLEDS
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had lowers added to my '06 Street Glide when I purchased it new. I ride with them on year round. I do appreciate some of the modification tips in this thread.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:25 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,809 Likes on 2,263 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I just spent 30 minutes searching, but can't find it.... damn, and I thought I saved it too...

Either this Forum, or the other one I read.... a guy did a back to back test on the same route, with some challenging aspects tha varied rpm & load. He was using his PowerVision in gauge mode, to monitor engine temps. He found his engine actually ran cooler (twin cam air cooled engine) with the lowers on , than with the lowers off...

Sorry I couldn't find the link, so for now it's just hearsay..... FWIW...
I proved that to myself with my 1989 UltraClassic. Used an infrared thermometer to check temps and the lowers lowered the engine temp with forced air cooling. I know other have done the same thing. The riders may feel cooler without the lowers, but the engine won't.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

So does it really hurt the bike to ride without? Probably not. My bike was sold to me without lowers and I add them for winter riding. I remove to be cooler not to make the bike cooler or not.
Several of my friends and I have talked about this before, I think it’s personal preference.
when you’re rolling down the road I don’t think a few degrees is going to make that big of a difference except the amount of air coming to me. My wife also likes it better with them off so that trumps everything...lol.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Had a little extra time, so I re-installed my lowers that have been off since the day I bought it.
Went for a ride and first thing off was the transition from my pegs, set just so I leave my heels on the floorboards, to shift or brake. Every time I moved my foot I contacted the Lower - both sides. Then it was hot as hell on my right leg. After a short run I got caught it some rain, perhaps my legs didn't get wet as fast, but before I got home I was soaked from soles to the knees.
Bottom line, if there was any improvement, I didn't find it. Lowers going back into storage.