Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowers VS. No Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 PM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a pair of Desert Dogs years ago and love them. I keep my lowers on for cold weather riding but take them off and keep the Desert Dogs in my bags in case of rain. Harly use to make an air deflector that mounted to the front forks that did a great job of eliminating the rush of air from below when the lowers are removed.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:45 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,262 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
no issues. they actually direct more cooling air to the fins. it may feel hotter to the rider, but the bike will like it...
I just spent 30 minutes searching, but can't find it.... damn, and I thought I saved it too...

Either this Forum, or the other one I read.... a guy did a back to back test on the same route, with some challenging aspects tha varied rpm & load. He was using his PowerVision in gauge mode, to monitor engine temps. He found his engine actually ran cooler (twin cam air cooled engine) with the lowers on , than with the lowers off...

Sorry I couldn't find the link, so for now it's just hearsay..... FWIW...

Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I understand the MoCo did extensive wind-tunnel tests during the design. What was difficult was the aesthetics, some like 'em, some don't. On a long haul they are an advantage for several reasons; additional storage, wind break, water break,

Old 06-01-2018, 05:46 AM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Lowers on year round is the ultimate. Especially when riding elevation changes of 7,000+ ft with temp swings of 50 degrees.

I cut back the doors a couple inches to allow max air flow through vents. And trimmed the bottom portion of the lowers to allow more airflow to the pipes. Still lots of protection and airflow for summer temps.

I like this idea. I wonder if I can find me a second set of doors to try this on. Then swap them out during cold weather.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I am the opposite, I take mine off for the summer.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 606 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
I removed the vent doors because they were a pain in the @$$, but left the lowers on. all is good. You buy an Ultra for a reason, tot to take all of the xtra's off
Thats what I did also.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:18 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280Ruffian
I like this idea. I wonder if I can find me a second set of doors to try this on. Then swap them out during cold weather.
These are eBay knockoffs and cost only $50. Are yours HD?

Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Durwood 1
Advanced
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I just spent 30 minutes searching, but can't find it.... damn, and I thought I saved it too...

Either this Forum, or the other one I read.... a guy did a back to back test on the same route, with some challenging aspects tha varied rpm & load. He was using his PowerVision in gauge mode, to monitor engine temps. He found his engine actually ran cooler (twin cam air cooled engine) with the lowers on , than with the lowers off...

Sorry I couldn't find the link, so for now it's just hearsay..... FWIW...
I did this testing as well and noted that the ET was lower according to PV with the lowers installed, but further testing showed that despite the lower ET the Rear Cylinder Head Temp was significantly hotter with the lowers on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Durwood 1:
Campy Roadie (06-02-2018), hattitude (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Durwood 1
I did this testing as well and noted that the ET was lower according to PV with the lowers installed, but further testing showed that despite the lower ET the Rear Cylinder Head Temp was significantly hotter with the lowers on.
I believe it. If you look through the vent opening on the right lower, the cow bell hangs directly in the airflow path through the vent, to the rear cylinder. I adjusted the cow bell to be almost horizontal and the air flows unobstructed to the rear cylinder now. Although I never took RC temps, I could easily feel the difference of airflow to the RC when riding with my hand placed near the RC fins.

btw - still enjoying the 57's.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
These are eBay knockoffs and cost only $50. Are yours HD?

My lowers are Advan Black. I actually have an entire extra left side lower, I would just need to find the right side vent...

Quick Reply: Lowers VS. No Lowers