Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My throttle RPM increased by itself, looking for assitance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My throttle RPM increased by itself, looking for assitance.

Today I went to slow down and the rpm stayed up around 1500 or even more. I was surprised and thought I just needed to clear the set point by turning the ignition switch on and off 5 times withing 45 or 60 seconds, anyway I have done that before over the years and the idle returns to what it should be. BUT this time it did not, and also the symptom is slightly different, I find I can lower the idle by twisting forward on my throttle, this returns it to the proper speed, BUT when I release the grip it goes back to a high idle.

I do have the "fly-by-wire" system
this is an 08 street glide.
I have not turned a wrench on it recently which would explain this problem.

Bike runs and is perfect other than this dangerous condition that I can not resolve.

Anyone heard of this and know where I should start looking to fix it?

Bob

Last edited by NiteOwl; 05-30-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:17 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Had this happen more than a couple times, including on my 17... I like to change grips.

Being able to lower rpms by twisting the throttle forward means your grip may be too tight or is just sticking. Try loosening your grip assembly and adjust so your grip is a bit looser before retightening. If this doesnt work try removing your grip and doing a little cleaning. I generally apply a very small amount of silicone grease on the mating surfaces before reassembly.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter

its interesting, BUT i have always been able to roll the grip forward a wee but, its how you engage and disengage the "Parade mode", it has never had an effect on the rpm until today.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:37 AM
dang_jayhawker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fly by wire bikes will develop a memory with throttle position. If you use the thumb switch to turn your bike off and don't have the throttle all the way up this can happen. Always turn your bike off with your throttle hand by the center switch so it forces you to take your hand off the throttle. There is a way to reset the throttle position. Do a search in the forums and it will pop up.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter

Hi, thank you for that suggestion, I do know about the memory thing for the fly-by-wire and the throttle, I never shut the bike off with my switch on the handlebar I always take my hand off and use the power switch in the center of the console. I have reset my throttle memory just in case but that did nothing this is something new that has developed which I have never seen before I suspect it might have something to do with the throttle positioner. I'll take it apart and clean it up a bit but I'm just was hoping that someone else knew exactly what this is does the sensor need replacing or?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I was off-Island for about a month and my 2000 UC had this issue when I returned. Of course it is an M&M but the cure was cleaning the ports in the top of the throttle body with carb cleaner. I also cleaned the shaft on the cold idle solenoid. Adjusting the Throttle position sensor may also help.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:29 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 464 Likes on 355 Posts

I would loosen the throttle clamp screws first just to see if that cures it.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:41 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteOwl
Today I went to slow down and the rpm stayed up around 1500 or even more. I was surprised and thought I just needed to clear the set point by turning the ignition switch on and off 5 times withing 45 or 60 seconds, anyway I have done that before over the years and the idle returns to what it should be. BUT this time it did not, and also the symptom is slightly different, I find I can lower the idle by twisting forward on my throttle, this returns it to the proper speed, BUT when I release the grip it goes back to a high idle.

I do have the "fly-by-wire" system
this is an 08 street glide.
I have not turned a wrench on it recently which would explain this problem.

Bike runs and is perfect other than this dangerous condition that I can not resolve.

Anyone heard of this and know where I should start looking to fix it?

Bob
Try pulling the main fuse or unhook your battery for a minute or so. That may reset it also. I was gonna suggest the normal procedure but i see you have tried that with no luck so maybe removing main fuse or unhooking battery will reset it. Worth the try. Could be just needing a cleaning as someone else suggested

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-01-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:45 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

You state : "I find I can lower the idle by twisting forward on my throttle, this returns it to the proper speed, BUT when I release the grip it goes back to a high idle."
Any chance at all that some free play/binding is being experienced between teeth on inside of grip and teeth on throttle position sensor at handlebar.
To be clearer..could a tooth or debris be causing binding at position sensor on handlebar.
The position sensor has gear like teeth and those match the teeth on inside of grip.
Remove grip and take a look at inside of the grip and clean bar area.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter

thank you all for the suggestions.
I took off the throttle grip cleaned it in there didn't seem too dirty made sure everything was moving properly put it back together and it works exactly the way it's supposed to. I did not actually find something definitive that would be the aha moment but it's obvious that something must have been binding. Perhaps even where was clapping to the grip maybe something moved and was giving a bit of resistance it wouldn't take much. Anyway thanks again it gave me an opportunity to go into an area I've never been into before, and I'm very happy with the way it's working now. Bob