Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six speed Trans cover question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018 | 06:00 PM
Ultra Pearl
|
Tourer
Default Six speed Trans cover question

Hey guys another question...
I have an oil leak on the o-ring clutch cable housing, coming out of my transmission on my 08 Ultra.
Is it possible to remove the cover without removing the exhaust? There's not much room there.
If you could do that to change that o-ring, would the clutch need to be re adjusted or could you just take up slack in cable?

Old 05-30-2018 | 06:19 PM
skydude426
Club Member

I'm not sure about the exhaust on your 08. I can get it off on my 2012. All you can do is try. Removing the heat shield is a must on my bike. As far as the clutch cable, slacken the cable up with the adjuster, remove the cover, remove the cable, and replace the leaking O-ring, put it back together and tighten the cable back up so there is an 1/8th inch free play as per the service manual. You shouldn't need to get into the primary unless it's been a long time since adjusting the clutch, this might be a good time to do it. Don't over tighten the cable fitting into the transmission side cover. It should only need about 50 ft/lbs. of torque. Those fittings break easily, ask me how I know.

Old 05-30-2018 | 06:20 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member

some have done it without removing the exhaust, then at least half said never again. exhaust comes off quickly unless you find frozen bolts/nuts. You should have no reason to adjust clutch.

Old 05-30-2018 | 07:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skydude426
Don't over tighten the cable fitting into the transmission side cover. It should only need about 50 ft/lbs. of torque. Those fittings break easily, ask me how I know.
i think you mean inch/lbs?

Old 05-30-2018 | 08:06 PM
skydude426
Club Member

Originally Posted by skratch
i think you mean inch/lbs?
Yes, I meant inch pounds! Thanks for the correction.

Old 05-30-2018 | 08:22 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I was able to just remove the heat shield and loosen the exhaust a little bit on my '03 RK with Rinehart True Duals......

Are you running stock exhaust with the cross-over pipe? That may add a twist to it.

Old 05-31-2018 | 09:13 AM
Ultra Pearl
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I was able to just remove the heat shield and loosen the exhaust a little bit on my '03 RK with Rinehart True Duals......

Are you running stock exhaust with the cross-over pipe? That may add a twist to it.
Yes, stock exhaust.
It almost seems like the oil is coming from where the cable is crimped rather than around the nut screwed into the cover. The perforated protective cover that's over the cable is soaked in oil, but you don't see any coming out where it's screwed in. I may not be the o-ring.

Old 05-31-2018 | 09:52 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
Yes, stock exhaust.
It almost seems like the oil is coming from where the cable is crimped rather than around the nut screwed into the cover. The perforated protective cover that's over the cable is soaked in oil, but you don't see any coming out where it's screwed in. I may not be the o-ring.
Yup, sounds exactly like what I had. Replaced the Clutch Cable and Shazam! leak was gone! Night and day clutch action after that too......

Old 05-31-2018 | 12:04 PM
skydude426
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
Yes, stock exhaust.
Funny you should mention that. I'm currently in the middle of changing my clutch cable because it's leaking at the crimp. Same deal, no fluid up by the tranny cover, but oily below the crimp. This is the second cable I've had do this and they were both LA Choppers cables. I'm replacing it with a Magnum cable.

I had a little issue though. My tranny cover is powder coated wrinkle black. I bought it from a powder coater on eBay. I ordered the cable so I would have it by Memorial Day weekend. Pulled the cover Friday night. Removed the cable, whiped the cover down then cleaned it with hot soapy water. I towel dried it, then blew the water out of the cracks with compressed air and a few big chunks of powder coat went with it.

Now I'm waiting for a new cover I ordered at the dealership to get in. I really wanted to ride last weekend too. The fun of owning anything mechanical.

Old 05-31-2018 | 12:21 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Came in late here but seen what I was going to comment on. I went through 2 after market (Drag Specialties/Motion Pro) braided stainless clutch cables that both leaked at the crimp. They are poor quality cables that will leak every single time and are marketed under a variety of names, all usually run around 60-70 bucks. I spent the extra coin and got the Magnum Shielding cable and now no leaks and a far better clutch. Just lube the hell out of it with spray silicone, especially the lever end, or else it will be real stiff to use. Magnum uses seals inside the transmission end of the housing to prevent the trans oil from running down inside the housing and leaking out through the braiding and crimped end.

Last edited by Guntoter; 05-31-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Six speed Trans cover question