Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six speed Trans cover question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018 | 02:12 PM
pdbuzz
Club Member

Originally Posted by skydude426

This is the second cable I've had do this and they were both LA Choppers cables. I'm replacing it with a Magnum cable.
Aw, crap! I put an LA Choppers clutch cable on with my new apes. Ok, well, I'll keep an eye out. I am already seeing the braiding start to turn from the fluid, so I guess it's just a matter of time!

Old 05-31-2018 | 02:49 PM
skydude426
Club Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Came in late here but seen what I was going to comment on. I went through 2 after market (Drag Specialties/Motion Pro) braided stainless clutch cables that both leaked at the crimp. They are poor quality cables that will leak every single time and are marketed under a variety of names, all usually run around 60-70 bucks. I spent the extra coin and got the Magnum Shielding cable and now no leaks and a far better clutch. Just lube the hell out of it with spray silicone, especially the lever end, or else it will be real stiff to use. Magnum uses seals inside the transmission end of the housing to prevent the trans oil from running down inside the housing and leaking out through the braiding and crimped end.
There is a tag on my new Magnum Shielding cable that specifically says not to lubricate the cable.

Old 05-31-2018 | 03:36 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

my 2 cents.
had the leak ,looked like gasket, cable idk....the oem cable bolt had cracked inside the cover. replaced cable, remove pipes or losen them tough to call over the internet

Old 06-01-2018 | 08:26 PM
Ultra Pearl
|
Tourer

So it turns out the clutch cable may not be leaking after all. I think some oil from one or more oil changes may have spilled onto the mesh clutch cable protective cover and gotten soaked. I cleaned up the oil and it doesn't seem to be coming back.

Old 06-01-2018 | 11:48 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skydude426

There is a tag on my new Magnum Shielding cable that specifically says not to lubricate the cable.
Mine said that too but it was so stiff to pull the clutch it was almost unusable. Sprayed silicone down the clutch lever end, worked the clutch and sprayed again and been perfect since.

Old 06-01-2018 | 11:50 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
So it turns out the clutch cable may not be leaking after all. I think some oil from one or more oil changes may have spilled onto the mesh clutch cable protective cover and gotten soaked. I cleaned up the oil and it doesn't seem to be coming back.
Hopefully you got lucky, but if there was oil around the crimped part of the cable, its leaking oil through the housing.

Old 06-02-2018 | 06:43 AM
skydude426
Club Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Mine said that too but it was so stiff to pull the clutch it was almost unusable. Sprayed silicone down the clutch lever end, worked the clutch and sprayed again and been perfect since.
Hopefully I can get it back together today and ride. Work and responsibilities always get in the way. My new Magnum cable moves freely inside the jacket. I'll see what it's like when I get it back together.

Old 06-02-2018 | 09:38 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Ultra Pearl
Hopefully that's the case buddy. I would clean mine all up and it would look great but by the next oil change it was saturated again. That cable leak was more of a seep rather than a leak. Just keep an eye on. Hopefully you got it taken care of tho.

Old 06-02-2018 | 10:19 PM
skydude426
Club Member

I rediscovered a lesson I learned in the past but had forgotten. If you change a clutch cable with one of a different brand, even if they are the same length, you will have to do a complete clutch adjustment. I changed my leaking LA Choppers cable for a Magnum Shielding cable today and I had to readjust the clutch pack under the derby cover to get more slack in the new cable.
Cables of different brands may not have the same length of free cable sticking out of the jacket even though the jackets are the same length apparently.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (06-03-2018)