Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with gasket placement 07 road king

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018 | 11:05 AM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by xcbullet
As far as the rocker cover bolts go I only use torgue wrench on the ones I can get to and from it with wrench to calibrate arm and do the others , I don't consider these bolts that critical to buy a dog bone for
Dog bones are cheap.

I wasn't able to get to them all, and did take my chances on a few. That was over 40k miles ago. Next time I might buy a 1/4" tq wrench. I realize money is relevent.

Old 06-03-2018 | 11:41 AM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Oil

Old 06-03-2018 | 11:45 AM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Oil

I’m getting ready to start the bike for the first time after the rebuild with the new rings and everything will this oil be sufficient? This is from AutoZone I do believe or advanced auto parts. I know I’m going to be changing the oil In a short amount of time. Which is going to lead to my next question also break in on the new rings.

Old 06-03-2018 | 01:24 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Before you did everything with the rings you could’ve just used any oil to run it and dump it that’s when you were looking for debris. Now that you’re going to be breaking in new rings you should just run good standard oil the kind you would run all the time.

you can leave the existing oil filter if its low mileage and youre going to dump it relatively soon

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-03-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2018 | 08:14 AM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Break in

Ed what’s your recommendation on break in knowing everything that I did to the bike.

Old 06-04-2018 | 09:05 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sworrix222
Ed what’s your recommendation on break in knowing everything that I did to the bike.
Start with quality oil that you will be running - initially you weren't doing rings but now you are.
Since you're just breaking in rings and not the bottom end, I would do a few heat cycles, then ride it like a human. When riding it, a combination of acceleration and engine breaking is good as it works the rings both ways. Going up through the gears, and allowing it to lightly engine break at times is good. Don't run it to 4,000 and coast to neutral in gear, just some light engine breaking to vary the load. Don't flog it or go out on the highway and set the cruise at one speed for an hour. I will attach a link from S&S that has a procedure on the last page that won't steer you wrong. The only thing different for me is that I typically start the engine and let it run for 30 seconds, then go stone cold. Start and run to a minute, then go stone cold. repeat up to 2.5 or 3 minutes, then go ride it. You will find hundreds of posts of methods on breaking in engines. I do not subscribe to beating them up and riding them like you stole them for break in.

Just don't let it overheat, beat on it, or run it to redline for a few hundred miles. Ride it normal - don't over baby it or abuse it and you'll be fine. Change the oil and filter in 500 miles due to your previous concern and break in.

Here is the link. https://www.sscycle.com/docs/default...6.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2018 | 08:38 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default First startHave a small leak on the front jog but isn’t it normal to have a little seepage?. And being use the lifters could it possibly take a while to pump them up I was not going over 1700 rpm’s for the initial wrong time

So I decided to follow your instructions did my first start 30 seconds it made a little noise for about 3 to four seconds then had What sound it to be some lifter noise shut it down checked everything no leaks let it cool down started the second time for 1 minute let it run lifter noise or whatever still there but not as bad. Shut it down check for leaks started up a third time to run for 2 1/2 minutes still a little bit of noise coming out of the right side Near the breather.Sounds like lifter noise. I have a small leak on the front jog but isn’t it normal to have a little seepage?. And being used lifters could it possibly take a while to pump them up I was not going over 1700 rpm’s for the initial run time.

Old 06-04-2018 | 08:48 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

If you really oiled the cylinder o-rings they may weep a little. Shouldn’t be a running leak.

Lifters will clatter at first. Should quiet down to normal by the time you take it out. Once in a while you get an uncooperative one. One trick is to simply start, turn off, start, turn off, start. Have found that initial shot of oil quiets them down quicker than idling and waiting.

I wouldn’t worry if its just a little ticky right now while heat cycling. As long as you properly adjusted them you should be fine.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-04-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2018 | 09:04 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Successful

I think this is Going in the right direction so far. Each time I started it in heat cycle it was quieting down. It’s dark out now I’m going to wait till tomorrow to take it out for the first ride. I will update tomorrow once I take it for a cruise. Didn’t you say it’s normal to have a little seepage on the base gasket oh rings?just being paranoid I was so scared to start the thing up. Just nervous over the whole deal...But I think everything’s gonna be OK.Ed I do appreciate all of your help . I would’ve never made it this far.

Old 06-05-2018 | 08:09 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default First ride

Got off work tonight and decided to take the bike for a ride when I first started it up I still had the ticking noise. Went for a short 2 mile ride got back and the bike is running great the noise went away. Everything seems fine. I appreciate everybody’s help Thanks Ed.... I’m back on the road thanks again...

Quick Reply: Help with gasket placement 07 road king