Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with gasket placement 07 road king

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018 | 08:49 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Tappetts

on an 07 twin cam 96 touring do the lifter or tappet holes face out? I marked them but lol I can’t remember if it was the front or the back. There is nothing in the manual about the tappet holeIt just talks about if you disassemble to mark them

Old 05-31-2018 | 08:53 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sworrix222
on an 07 twin cam 96 touring do the lifter or tappet holes face out? I marked them but lol I can’t remember if it was the front or the back. There is nothing in the manual about the tappet holeIt just talks about if you disassemble to mark them.

It doesn't matter and if you don't remember your markings there's no guaranteed way to put them back the same. Best you can do is look for any matching marks to lifter and bore. If you find one that's looks like a match, go with that. If not, just put them in. You probably won't be able to tell anything though. If it's low mileage no worries - if high mileage, cheap enough to replace and eliminate all worries. Doesn't this thing only have like 7k? If so, I would run them with no concerns whatsoever.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-31-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2018 | 09:12 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Lifters

I know which bore each lifter goes into. I bagged those and tagged them.I made a mark on Front or back of the lifter When I disassembled. I just forget but most likely was for the front. So I am talking about the oil hole on the side of the lifter I marked what I think was the front which would put the oil hole on the lifter pointing out away from the engine.The bike has 30,000 on it

Old 05-31-2018 | 09:18 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I know which bore each lifter goes into. I bagged those and tagged them.I made a mark on Front or back of the lifter When I disassembled. I just forget but most likely was for the front. So I am talking about the oil hole on the side of the lifter I marked what I think was the front which would put the oil hole on the lifter pointing out away from the engine.The bike has 30,000 on it
Oil hole is not directional on Twin Cam - look in the case and you'll see it doesn't line up either way you put it in. It was directional on EVO. If everything looks great and the rollers/bearings are good I'd run them.

Old 05-31-2018 | 09:19 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Me, "I'd run Indy on it." An old boss I liked, "That means it only has to last 500 miles."

Old 05-31-2018 | 09:22 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Lifter

Thanks again.I’m getting close I don’t want to risk anything. I appreciate it once again

Old 06-01-2018 | 10:21 PM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Rocker arms

is it normal for the rocker arm assembly to be lifted on Front or back side like it doesn’t want to sit flush both push rods are at the lowest point and it wants to teeter back and forth it will sit flus on the springs but will be lifted on the pushrod side

Old 06-02-2018 | 02:41 AM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

Ed So I just started working on the bike again I got all the parts and everything.Have had no time to mess with it. Today while trying to put the heads on somebody walked in the garage and distracted me I put the head on The rear cylinder and Started to torque it down realized the first step is to inch pounds. I had it set to foot pounds.I’m not sure how tight I actually cranked it definatley more than I was supposed too.I realized and immediately broke it loose In the order you’re supposed to .i pulled the head off and realized I didn’t even put the gasket on.At least I don’t think I did .I was so frustrated I look down and see it laying on the ground. I guess it could have came off with the head and fell off. I’m really not sure.Do you think By torquing it with no gasket or overtorquing it with the gasket I have hurt anything?definatley not risking a bad head gasket so I called the bike shop and they actually put a set of head gaskets out in the mailbox for me because they were closing.So I’m going to put new gaskets on it do you think that I need to replace the cylinder base o- rings or anything else?obviously everything is brand new. And it has not been started. This thing is fighting me every step of the way. I don’t know why.
me and you are one in the same man. Sounds just like what happens in my garage.

Old 06-02-2018 | 06:56 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member

is it normal for the rocker arm assembly to be lifted on Front or back side like it doesn’t want to sit flush both push rods are at the lowest point and it wants to teeter back and forth it will sit flus on the springs but will be lifted on the pushrod side

Normal that's why your saposed to go back and forth tighting them up. Also saposed to let bleed off before turning motor to do other cylinder, should be able to turn push rod before moving on

As far as the rocker cover bolts go I only use torgue wrench on the ones I can get to and from it with wrench to calibrate arm and do the others , I don't consider these bolts that critical to buy a dog bone for

Last edited by xcbullet; 06-02-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2018 | 10:39 AM
Sworrix222
|
Cruiser
Default Rocker arms

Thanks I figured it was normal and there was a little pressure I didn’t want to bend a pushrod...I figured it was normal and there was a little pressure. I just didn’t want to been a pushrodthe manual calls for loctite on breather assembly but doesn’t specify on the rocker arm bolts. Would it hurt to put some blue loctite on the rocker arm bolts?

Quick Reply: Help with gasket placement 07 road king