Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Zeppelin seat vs Russell Day long seat seat Height comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 584 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Road Zeppelin seat vs Russell Day long seat seat Height comparison?

I usually ride on a HD hammock seat. I recently got a HD Road Zeppelin seat. It sits me up higher but is not as comfortable as my hammock. I'm gonna sell it and buy another seat. Been thinking about send the stock seat to Russell Day long and having the seat redone but am concerned about the seat height. The Road Zeppelin seat is as tall of a seat as I can ride and still get my feet to touch the ground. Is the Russell Day long any taller of a seat? I read that they are really comfortable for the long haul. anyone used both? opinions are appreciated.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:39 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I have the Hammock and the Daylong, but not the Zepplien...maybe this will help

The daylong sits higher when you’re in the “pocket”, but they cut the nose section in such a way that you kind of rock forward out of the pocket at stops. The height is similar to the Hammock when you rock forward out of the pocket. It’s not that big of deal, and you’ll actually will do it naturally after a while. That being said, I think if the zepplien didn’t present any real problems, you’ll be fine (and much happier comfortwise) with the Daylong

I highly recommend the daylong seat. My wife and I love ours . I use the Hammock when my daughter rides or for charity rides where there is a lot of stop and go

Last edited by lyork; 05-27-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 91 Posts

Russel Day Long is custom made to your measurements. You can have it made to sit you as high or as low as you want to be. It is made to fit you and your desires. I dont own one but my bro has one on his goldwing and does iron butt rides on it and highly recommends it. I have been considering but just not ready to spend the $$$

Old 05-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When you order a Russell, you will supply photos of you and your co-pilot on the bike. They use these photos to build your seating position. SO.....I would suggest that you DON'T take the pics with the Zeppelin seat on. If the stock seat is the right position, use that for the photos.
Ed

Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

From their website...and this is pretty much true in my case.

“On the other hand, a rider’s ground reach is usually not degraded by the “Day-Long”, with this one proviso: It may become necessary, especially for a shorter legged rider, to develop the habit of moving his crotch forward on the saddle so as to straddle it at its narrowest point in order to achieve adequate ground reach. In other words, stand up out of the pocket of the saddle when coming to a stop. Settle back into the pocket again once you’re underway.”

https://day-long.com/faqs/

Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,811 Likes on 4,203 Posts

I wrote to Russell day-long seats and told them I have a 31" inseam and was concerned about all I've read that says their seat suspension system WILL raise the seat height. I also asked for the seat dimensions...

Here was their reply:

"Hey Bernie,

Our seats do tend to interfere with your ground reach. We give you more support down your thigh for long range comfort, but it also gets in the way of your leg going straight to the ground. We can trim this area back a little bit, but it will affect your comfort.

Each seat is built custom to the person who orders it. The starting width would be about 15 ˝” wide. The size of the seat will be determined by your height, weight, inseam and waist measurements, also a picture of you sitting on the bike. Our seats flex when you sit on them which also makes them a little bit wider.

Russell Cycle Products Inc

4917 Shasta Dam Blvd

Shasta Lake CA 96019

(800)432-9566"

Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 584 Likes on 424 Posts

kinda sounds like it will raise me up even more. I tried a cop seat on a guys bike and it was definitely to tall. To bad thats supposed to be a real comfortable saddle. I may have to stick with the hammock. I can do a fairly long day on them. Thanks for the comments.