Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOMTOM rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOMTOM rider

ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz

This thread is gonna get Me in trouble with Mama!!!I've been wanting the 550 for a while now and this thread is making it worse.You guys are allot of help.
funny how that happens. lol
I always have my wife be a big part in decideing what to buy, then I buy the one I want. But, it has to be her idea.
chappy

Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

Get one that is waterproof.
I agree, that's one of the points that swayed me towards the zumo 550
chappy

Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
mja51
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waswondering with the garmin zumo 550 ........after selecting a destination is there a choice for a route that doesn't involve highways or does it give you the most direct route????????

Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Wags1
Tourer

mja51,
First you may want to select a font size that is a bit smaller...we do tend to be a bit longer in the tooth here but we aren't blind...

The Zumo 550 has a number of settings that you can use to determine the type of route it selects. First is route preference. You can select from "Faster Time", "Shorter Distance", or "Off Road". I tend to like the back roads when I am on my bike so usually have it set to "Shorter Distance". In addition you can set "Avoidances" and you can tell it to avoid one or more of the following - "U-Turns", "Highways", "Toll Roads", or "Traffic". The last one only kicks-in only if you have XM Traffic info. connected and active. I usually have all the avoidances selected. Using those settings I find that it usually routes me on the exact kind of roads I prefer when riding my scoot.

You can find lots more great information and help about the Zumo here - http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/

Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 AM
outofcontrolj
Intermediate

well it seems that the Garmin unit gets the nod but I have a couple of quick questions. I have a 2007 Streetglide and it looks like an option to have the GPS installed internally on the bike, has anyone done that as part of the radio system?? how does it work? How expensive is it???

Also I wonder if anyone is using a bluetooth headset with any of these units?? I have a nolan helmet that has the option for blue tooth.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 AM
FinnGlide
Advanced

Outofcontrolj : Go with the separate GPS unit,like Garmin. I think that even that Garmin 550 is cheaper than that option gps youcan buy for your radio system. Plus sides also includethat separate unit is MUCH easier to use,much betterdisplay,you can use it also in your car, much easier to service and get updates for your mapsetc etc...

I also just bought Garmin. but mine is 500, not sure if it´s available in US? (I´m from Finland,Europe). It´s basically the same unit as 550 ,also w/bluetooth but I think it doesn`t have as much memory as 550 so here 550 comes w/european maps installed but with 500 you have to use SD memory card to have those maps(although those european mapsare includedin 500, in CD).500 has only scandinavian map on its memory, Also there´s only motorcycle mounting devices w/500, all the car stuff you have to purchase separately unlike in 550. Have to install thatthing maybe on weekend and see how it works...

I also have Garmin(Nuvi 350) in my car, after a trip last september to Europe w/borrowed Tomtom 900something in our RV I was convinced NOT to buy any Tomtom-products...It was a piece of sh*t, we had a"back-up" gps program in our Nokia cell phone which was way better that that tomtom. Much more precise, you could have that cell phone in your pocket and just listen to the directions,when using that Tomtom you had to listen AND look to the screen cause otherwise you couldn´t be sure when to turn...Also issues w/charging That Tomtom etc etc...

Also if you need to send your unit to service, you have to ship TomTom units to Holland, there isn´t any service available in Finland...Garmin hasservice here so it´s a big plus..(Of course you guys over there in US have both services available...)

Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: outofcontrolj

well it seems that the Garmin unit gets the nod but I have a couple of quick questions. I have a 2007 Streetglide and it looks like an option to have the GPS installed internally on the bike, has anyone done that as part of the radio system?? how does it work? How expensive is it???

Also I wonder if anyone is using a bluetooth headset with any of these units?? I have a nolan helmet that has the option for blue tooth.

Thanks
I bought the Scala Rider Team set to go with my Zumo 550. The riders headset is bluetooth for connection with the Zumo so that I get the voice commands. The passenger headset is radio connected to the rider headset to provide a wireless intercom. Both units recharge quickly & last all day. The result is a wireless connection to both the GPS & my wife. Nothing like having two female voices telling me where to go......

For scenic routes you can load your own from your laptop to the Zumo. It has a reasonably accurate fuel guage (if you're honest about your range when you set it up), & will give you directions to the nearest gas stations at the push of a button.

I found the best price at the time I purchased at Abe's of Maine, but prices change daily so a thourogh search is a good idea.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 AM
murph3204
Road Master

another vote for the 550. I've had mine for a few weeks and like it a lot. I ordered a front fender tip light cable from HD, plugs right in to my existing harness behind my headlight. Spliced that into a quick disconnect two-wire connector and it just takes a few seconds now to disconnect the cradle from the bike. Still trying to figure out how I want to hook up for sound though.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
outofcontrolj
Intermediate

I am confused. It looks like the Zumo 550 is about 700 brand new which is close to the same price as using the built in service from Harley??

Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
EXTERMINATOR
Advanced

i have the tomtom one for the car. had to buy one when moved to dallas. very easy to use and read. i looked at some of the other brands but the display looked the best and for 300 at target well worth it.

Quick Reply: TOMTOM rider