Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOMTOM rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOMTOM rider

ORIGINAL: Wags1

ORIGINAL: chappy

Thanks Wags1
Can the voice prompt be plugged into the "AUX" on my Ultra Classic radio so the sound will come thru on my fairing speakers or the plugged in headset?
many thanks
chappy
Short answer is yes. Long answer below was taken from the "Installation" section over on the Zumo forum (a great resource for all things Zumo) - http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/

The complete FLHT installation guide can be found here - http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=226

D. GPS VOICE NAVIGATION HOOK-UP

1. The audio voice navigation information comes out of a 3.5mm stereo jack on the left side of the motorcycle mount under the rubber cover there.

We used this patch cable to connect the GPS audio navigation information from the GPS to the bike radio Aux input jack (covered by a small rubber plug), part number SP-SPSC-7 from:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSC-7 This cable has nice right angle connectors and has gold plated ends.

NOTES:

a. This cable is available in various lengths, get the one that seems right for your installation.

b' Using this cable will result in GPS navigation audio to all four speakers on your bike and a nice looking right angle connector going into the radio.

c. We routed the excess audio cable thru the fairing handlebar opening.

2. GROUND LOOP/HUMMING & BUZZING SOUNDS: If after connecting the GPS audio output to your radio you have humming/buzzing sounds coming from your speakers you likely have a ground loop problem.

To fix a ground loop problem you will need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm isolating patch cable to replace the patch cable from paragraph C.1. above from here:
http://www.tesseractcorp.com/products.html

I have not heard of or seen any posts confirming ground loop problems with the Zumo thus far but there have been ground loop issues with other Garmin GPS units mounted on FLHT’s.

NOTES:

a. There are two different isolation cables, make sure you get the correct one which is: 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

b. With this cable alone you will have the GPS navigation audio sound in your two left speakers only. If you want the audio navigation sound from all four speakers you can add Radio Shack adapter part number 274-374 to the end of the cable that goes into the radio Aux plug.

This cable color is gray, you can use a black Magic Marker to darken it.

Hello Wags1,

I can'tsay thanks enough to show my graditude for all the info you provided me as well as the links.
I have been stumbling trying to ask the right questions and on the most part getting along very slowly. This thread has hepled to make up my mind for me, It's going to be the Zumo550 for me.

Thanks to wags1, Hack and all the others that had input. You all helped me to understand better.

chappy

Old 06-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chappy,
Glad to be able to help. I have learned a ton from others hereand on the Zumo forums and so I'm just trying to give back....that's what these forums are all about!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 PM
madurodave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cyclegod

thinking about getting a Gps Navigation system. Looked at tomtom rider,and Garmin.
Dont known a lot about or witch is better for motorcycle use.Any coments ,good our bad .
Cycle World just did a product review of both! Garmin Zumo got the nod, although it costs $150 more.

I plan to go for a Zumo when I buy one - under $700 on-line.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
cyclegod
2nd Gear

Thanks to all the replys . I am going to order a zumo 550

Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cyclegod

Thanks to all the replys . I am going to order a zumo 550
me too !

chappy

Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 PM
crp5
Cruiser

Ok, so several of us are sold. Where is the best place to buy? PCnation.com deal is back to $700...missed that one while trying to justify$670to myself. Ebay is $700 with shipping, can't find on buy.com. Anyone have a good source / link?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: crp5

Ok, so several of us are sold. Where is the best place to buy? PCnation.com deal is back to $700...missed that one while trying to justify$670to myself. Ebay is $700 with shipping, can't find on buy.com. Anyone have a good source / link?
Best thing to do is use one or more of the shopping search engines. Here are some of the ones that I usually have good luck with -

http://www.nextag.com/
http://www.pricegrabber.com/
http://www.bizrate.com/
http://www.dealtime.com/

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
TimAT
Advanced

ORIGINAL: TimAT

I've got 3 different GPS units- The HK on the 07 SEUC, (sort of sucks), a Tom-Tom in my pickup, and a Garmin 295 for the airplane. The Tom-Tom is somewhat better than the HK, but still leaves something to be desired. The Garmin is more user friendly, but since it's avaition related, it really sucks as far as road stuff goes. The newer Garmin units are way better.
Hi TimAT,

When you say "newer" how new are you talking?
The 2610 has been out for maybe 4 or 5 years and still seems to do what I need.
But, like I said earlier, I am impressed with the zumo 550, but it's just alot of money.
I am trying to figure what the difference is after I add the cost of all that I will need to mount it on my bike. If it's only $200.00, maybe I'll spring for it!!
Just not sure at this point.

Thanks for your reply
chappy
Hey Chappie, I got that garmin 295 in 2001 so it's been out long enough for them to discontinue it. I apologize, when I said "newer" I was thinking of the aviation stuff. The new one has color NEXRAD radar, XM Radioand terrain info- serious airplane stuff. I was looking real hard at the H-D one, since it was so close the the 295, but ended up with the SEUC that has the HK GPS..

Tim

Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

I've got 3 different GPS units- The HK on the 07 SEUC, (sort of sucks), a Tom-Tom in my pickup, and a Garmin 295 for the airplane. The Tom-Tom is somewhat better than the HK, but still leaves something to be desired. The Garmin is more user friendly, but since it's avaition related, it really sucks as far as road stuff goes. The newer Garmin units are way better.
Hi TimAT,

When you say "newer" how new are you talking?
The 2610 has been out for maybe 4 or 5 years and still seems to do what I need.
But, like I said earlier, I am impressed with the zumo 550, but it's just alot of money.
I am trying to figure what the difference is after I add the cost of all that I will need to mount it on my bike. If it's only $200.00, maybe I'll spring for it!!
Just not sure at this point.

Thanks for your reply
chappy
Hey Chappie, I got that garmin 295 in 2001 so it's been out long enough for them to discontinue it. I apologize, when I said "newer" I was thinking of the aviation stuff. The new one has color NEXRAD radar, XM Radioand terrain info- serious airplane stuff. I was looking real hard at the H-D one, since it was so close the the 295, but ended up with the SEUC that has the HK GPS..

Tim
Hi Tim,

No need to apologize. I only asked because I was pretty happy riding with a buddy that has the 2610. It seemed to have all what I needed and the price is right.
But now I find that even though the zumo550 is more money, the facts are that you get alot more than what a refurished 2610 will give.

Funny you mention the "serious airplane stuff", sometimes I feel like I'm flying and wish I had auto-pilot on some of those got to get there kind of rides.

thanks for your reply

chappy

Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
cyclegod
2nd Gear

buydig.com 686.49 for a zumo 550 to your door Free shipping and in stock.

Quick Reply: TOMTOM rider