Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOMTOM rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TOMTOM rider

ORIGINAL: Wags1

ORIGINAL: PlanoRider

How do you use these things on a motorcycle? Do you try to use headphones to hear the voice or do you just watch the screen? On a long trip I would think you would forget about it and miss a turn????
Pretty simple to use earbuds if you want to hear the directions. But it is very usable without as well. It tells you how far to the next turn in a small window in the lower right of the screen so it is pretty easy to keep track. If it says 10 miles to next turn then you know you don't really have to glance at it for some time. Also, a big white arrow shows up on your track when you get close to a turn.
HiWags1,

Can you plug into cigarette lighter for power source?
If so, will the speaker type cig ligther power pluggive voice prompt like the one used by the street pilot 2610?
Thanks
chappy

Old 06-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: chappy

If so, will the speaker type cig ligther power pluggive voice prompt like the one used by the street pilot 2610?
Thanks
chappy
The Zumo 550 comes with a car mountcradle as well as the motorcycle mount cradle. The car mount cradle has built in speakers and microphone and also comes with a power cord that you plug into a cigarette lighter. The motorcycle mount comes with a power cord that you hardwire into your bike.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:37 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

How do you use these things on a motorcycle? Do you try to use headphones to hear the voice or do you just watch the screen? On a long trip I would think you would forget about it and miss a turn????
When I used the Garmin 330, I just watched the screen and had no problem. Now that I have the Garmin 550 I use headphones to hear, can also listen to mp3 songs, answer my phone, get XM radio. I like it better than the 330, because it does more and is water proof.

Hack

Old 06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Pretty simple to use earbuds if you want to hear the directions. But it is very usable without as well. It tells you how far to the next turn in a small window in the lower right of the screen so it is pretty easy to keep track. If it says 10 miles to next turn then you know you don't really have to glance at it for some time. Also, a big white arrow shows up on your track when you get close to a turn.
HiWags1,

Thanks
chappy
I took the motorcycle power cord (meant to be hardwired) and attached a 12 V cigarette lighter to the end. Now I just plug it in and at the end of the day, unplug it, crable and all, and remove it from the bike.

Hack

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Thanks
chappy
The Zumo 550 comes with a car mountcradle as well as the motorcycle mount cradle. The car mount cradle has built in speakers and microphone and also comes with a power cord that you plug into a cigarette lighter. The motorcycle mount comes with a power cord that you hardwire into your bike.
Thanks Wags1
Can the voice prompt be plugged into the "AUX" on my Ultra Classic radio so the sound will come thru on my fairing speakers or the plugged in headset?
many thanks
chappy

Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: btefft

HiWags1,

Thanks
chappy
I took the motorcycle power cord (meant to be hardwired) and attached a 12 V cigarette lighter to the end. Now I just plug it in and at the end of the day, unplug it, crable and all, and remove it from the bike.

Hack
Thanks Hack,
I like the idea of total removal when not in use.
Besides, I don't smoke so I would like to use that cig lighter for something. LOL
Have you improvised the voice prompt to come over the radio speakers or plugged in headset?
Can the "AUX" plug be used for the voice prompt?
thanks in advance
chappy

Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: btefft

HiWags1,

Thanks
chappy

Hack
Thanks Hack,
I like the idea of total removal when not in use.
Besides, I don't smoke so I would like to use that cig lighter for something. LOL
Have you improvised the voice prompt to come over the radio speakers or plugged in headset?
Can the "AUX" plug be used for the voice prompt?
thanks in advance
chappy

Chappy, I have the RK CLassic - no radio, so everything I do is through the 550 via my headset. I no longer do the cell phone thing, I just check for calls now and then. I don't smoke either and use the cigarette light to charge my cell and/or power the 550. I installed the female part of the cig lighter into the side cover so that it is below and behind my left thigh. I got the power for it from the AUX under the seat - got to be sure the toggle switch on the left side of my forks is in the up position to get power to the cig lighter.

Hack

Old 06-26-2007, 12:33 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi Hack,

Thanks again for all the info.
I think it's time to start shopping.

chappy

Old 06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Wags1
Tourer

Thanks Wags1
Can the voice prompt be plugged into the "AUX" on my Ultra Classic radio so the sound will come thru on my fairing speakers or the plugged in headset?
many thanks
chappy
Short answer is yes. Long answer below was taken from the "Installation" section over on the Zumo forum (a great resource for all things Zumo) - http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/

The complete FLHT installation guide can be found here - http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=226

D. GPS VOICE NAVIGATION HOOK-UP

1. The audio voice navigation information comes out of a 3.5mm stereo jack on the left side of the motorcycle mount under the rubber cover there.

We used this patch cable to connect the GPS audio navigation information from the GPS to the bike radio Aux input jack (covered by a small rubber plug), part number SP-SPSC-7 from:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSC-7 This cable has nice right angle connectors and has gold plated ends.

NOTES:

a. This cable is available in various lengths, get the one that seems right for your installation.

b' Using this cable will result in GPS navigation audio to all four speakers on your bike and a nice looking right angle connector going into the radio.

c. We routed the excess audio cable thru the fairing handlebar opening.

2. GROUND LOOP/HUMMING & BUZZING SOUNDS: If after connecting the GPS audio output to your radio you have humming/buzzing sounds coming from your speakers you likely have a ground loop problem.

To fix a ground loop problem you will need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm isolating patch cable to replace the patch cable from paragraph C.1. above from here:
http://www.tesseractcorp.com/products.html

I have not heard of or seen any posts confirming ground loop problems with the Zumo thus far but there have been ground loop issues with other Garmin GPS units mounted on FLHT’s.

NOTES:

a. There are two different isolation cables, make sure you get the correct one which is: 3.5mm to 3.5mm.

b. With this cable alone you will have the GPS navigation audio sound in your two left speakers only. If you want the audio navigation sound from all four speakers you can add Radio Shack adapter part number 274-374 to the end of the cable that goes into the radio Aux plug.

This cable color is gray, you can use a black Magic Marker to darken it.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
nightglide
Road Master

I use the Garmin Nuvi 360, same as the Zumu 550 (options) but not water proof. I run it through the radio to hear it. or head phones.

Quick Reply: TOMTOM rider