Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FLHTK Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018 | 10:05 AM
reno55
|
Cruiser

I did take it to an auto parts store and it tested at 12.5v. But only 130 or so cca

Old 05-25-2018 | 02:20 PM
reno55
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the help!!!! Put a new battery in and boom fired up like a champ!

As a side note I was very nervous about anything under the seat as it is far more complex than my Yamaha Raider was but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be!

Old 05-25-2018 | 04:43 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing I noticed reading your thread.
In your first post you said your Amp guage read 14 to 16 Amps. First I'm guessing you meant voltage not Amps. But more importantly are the numbers you posted.I know the dash volt meter is not all that accurate but your top voltage when running should only be around 14.6V. If your actually getting 16V then you could have a regulator failing. A regulator that is letting too much voltage past can damage a battery.
I would suggest that you use a DVOM and check the voltage at the battery with the bike running just to be sure. Again, you dont want to see over 14.6V.

The following users liked this post:
OkieBill (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018 | 05:21 PM
cass
Road Warrior

i went out to go to work today, jumped on my 2013 flhtk and everything turned on....lights guages and turned the key....it turned once then nothing. drove the jeep in and checked when i got back...nuttin. checked fuses and all looked good. used an old battery tester and i got about 3/4 green and a red light. tried it again, nothing. jump started it and it started up. got it back into the garage under its own power and turned her off. i'll check it again tomorrow. i replaced the battery once a couple of years ago. i have 62000 miles on it and was just on it yesterdy. new batteries are a pita, they can leave you stranded in a heartbeat. i have to check at auto zone or wally world and see if they have a replacement or do more research here and get the number. i don't really want to spend the $$$ for one from the stealer.

Old 05-25-2018 | 06:54 PM
buckmc
Tourer

Batteries,esp on a newer bike,have a load on all the time be it a small draw,but has to run the ECM. Don't get a battery from the dealership. If they have a sale on them they are still overpriced. the best battery;is always changing too. Meaning a few years ago Interstate,was the top of the food chain,as far as batteries go,then it was Battery Warehouse,but now it's Napa,that's what I'm running now,but experience,has taught me that won't stay the same. A word of caution on Battery Tender's. spend your cash for a good one,they are really important that you do so. Also don't leave it on your bike while your sleeping.Do it if possible while you can watch it from time to time. I had a schmaker tender a good one, and it completely burnt up from plug to battery so take care tending your battery. Last is about every 1000 miles esp if your riding alot do a tighting up on your battery cable's positive and negative.You will be happy that you did.all this make's me miss a kickstart.

The following users liked this post:
cass (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018 | 06:54 PM
buckmc
Tourer

Batteries,esp on a newer bike,have a load on all the time be it a small draw,but has to run the ECM. Don't get a battery from the dealership. If they have a sale on them they are still overpriced. the best battery;is always changing too. Meaning a few years ago Interstate,was the top of the food chain,as far as batteries go,then it was Battery Warehouse,but now it's Napa,that's what I'm running now,but experience,has taught me that won't stay the same. A word of caution on Battery Tender's. spend your cash for a good one,they are really important that you do so. Also don't leave it on your bike while your sleeping.Do it if possible while you can watch it from time to time. I had a schmaker tender a good one, and it completely burnt up from plug to battery so take care tending your battery. Last is about every 1000 miles esp if your riding alot do a tighting up on your battery cable's positive and negative.You will be happy that you did.all this make's me miss a kickstart.

Last edited by buckmc; 05-25-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: double posted
Old 05-25-2018 | 07:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I replaced the battery last year on my 2013 FLTRU due to slow/labored cranking. A nice feature from HD would be a power system that turns off the lights if the ignition is accidently left on and the run/stop is used to turn stop the engine, but then they wouldn't sell as many batteries would they? I'm seriously of buying one of those small zero gravity battery pack to jump start the bike if I need it.

Old 05-25-2018 | 07:40 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Default Fuse ?

There is a 10amp fuse on the positive side of the cable used to trickle charger ? If blow, replace....
solved my problem

Old 05-26-2018 | 07:54 AM
cass
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I replaced the battery last year on my 2013 FLTRU due to slow/labored cranking. A nice feature from HD would be a power system that turns off the lights if the ignition is accidently left on and the run/stop is used to turn stop the engine, but then they wouldn't sell as many batteries would they? I'm seriously of buying one of those small zero gravity battery pack to jump start the bike if I need it.
thats what i used to start my bike yesterday. about the size of a paperback and fits nicely in the sadlebag. forget what model it is but it was relatively cheap and works pretty well.