Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Service Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Service Manual?

I've heard that there are electrical service manuals for our bikes. I've got the regular service manual which as electrical service and schematics included.

Is this something I really need to buy?

Old 06-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrical Service Manual?

Yes, there are. I bought the electrical service for both my SE Ultra and my Sporty. (Actually they are called Electric Diagnostic manuals). They are over half the thickness of the regular service manual and go into electrical troubleshooting of the various systems in detail. Plus, they provide a complete listing of the diagnostic code and tell you how to get to them without having to have the dealer hook up their Digital Technician BS.

Expensive, like all manuals but worth it INMO. While you're at it, you might want to pick up a parts manual too. Then, with the part umbers it's easy to order discount parts from Chicago HD or Zanotti's.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Crazie. If you do your own work both parts and electrical manuals make it so much easier.

Arvid

Old 06-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the parts manual. Guess I'll get the Electric Diagnostics manual too.

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

My 01 electric manual covers all the families, touring, softail, ect.I am seeing 2007 stuff on internet for touring family. Has it changed or is this bootleg?

Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Zerk
My 01 electric manual covers all the families, touring, softail, ect.I am seeing 2007 stuff on internet for touring family. Has it changed or is this bootleg?
Zerk, you've woken up a 2007 thread from it's deep slumbers! What do you mean by '2007 stuff'? If it is anything other than a proper book, published by H-D, then the answer is probably yes. The MoCo don't publish any service literature in a digital form, only as books.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:17 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,173 Likes on 4,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Taterdog
I've heard that there are electrical service manuals for our bikes. I've got the regular service manual which as electrical service and schematics included.

Is this something I really need to buy?

If you have your owner's manual, way at the back, it will list the HD part #s for the Service, Parts, and Electrical Diagnostic Manuals for your model/year bike.

You can then search the part number on one of the online HD parts dealers' sites to see if it's still available from the MoCo (you'd be surprised how many older manuals are still available). After checking the new price, you can search on eBay to see if there's a good used, or cheaper new, manual available.... be careful, I've seen used manuals being sold for more $$$ than a new one..

FWIW.... I buy all three: Service, Parts, and Electrical manuals for all my bikes. I use the electrical manual the least... but it's worth it's weight in gold when I DO need it...!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Zerk, you've woken up a 2007 thread from it's deep slumbers! What do you mean by '2007 stuff'? If it is anything other than a proper book, published by H-D, then the answer is probably yes. The MoCo don't publish any service literature in a digital form, only as books.
I say CD for 2007 electrical touring. I like paper for notes, but I don't use the electric that much. Drawings are in the factory service manual which I use more. So I was wondering if the factory went away from electrical manuals that covered every model made that year, to ones made for family, such as touring or softail.

I guesed the factory may have went to CD by now, but wasn't sure either. Was hoping to find used hardcopy on ebay.

I havn't used my electric manual all that much. Codes are on the internet. Not impressed with some of testing practices. But I was considering one.