Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 RK oil cooler worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2013 RK oil cooler worth the cost?

Living here in the desert of Las Vegas we get to temperatures above 100 degrees. Never had an oil cooler on my 2004 RK but considering one for my current 2013 RK. Using Harley synthetic oil but thinking an oil cooler would help with the larger engine.The Harley oil cooler is about $275 online and I would have to have it installed so figure another few hundred(?) to install. Anyone done it and see the benefit?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

The 2013 Road King already has an oil cooler. 🙁

Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Also they are not hard to install. Would have been funny to bring it in and have them install.

As to the topic, I think the newer bikes run hotter due to tight heads and cams, plus bigger engine. You can debate it, but if I lived in desert I would. I have added to both my bikes as it is

Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Well...if your scooter didn't already have one, I'd say oh yeah, there's benefit to an oil cooler. If you think it's getting hotter than you like, there's always the option of a larger unit, or a larger one that mounts on the downtube to get it out in the breeze.

If you spend a lot of time riding slowly, you might think about a fan. But I'd maximize my oil cooler size first.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Though we all really want to know, if it already had one.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Kastsmak
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take a look at this sight

I have been looking for Oil cooler and found this
https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com

Worth a look at

Old 05-19-2018, 12:09 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Default HD oem oil cooler

Originally Posted by subgunner
Living here in the desert of Las Vegas we get to temperatures above 100 degrees. Never had an oil cooler on my 2004 RK but considering one for my current 2013 RK. Using Harley synthetic oil but thinking an oil cooler would help with the larger engine.The Harley oil cooler is about $275 online and I would have to have it installed so figure another few hundred(?) to install. Anyone done it and see the benefit?
My 2013 FLHTK Limited has the factory thermostatically controlled oil cooler. I was searching around trying to find a replacement thermostat / eliminator
to no avail. Living in the desert like you I would purchase an aftermarket one and skip the thermostat altogether - just me as I don't ride freezing cold.
Worthwhile - for sure as my oil is stone black after just 1000 miles running hot. Single cylinder idle kicks in at 262 degrees oil temperature and happens
regularly in the summer for me. I buy oil and K&N filters by the case from amazon - way cheaper than an engine.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:59 PM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2013 Road King does have an oil cooler. Just got it so I haven't figured it all out yet. It does not have the mid frame heat shields and even though it has the EITMS activated I think I will add them based on previous experience.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:20 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

The best move I did to reduce heat was to get rid of the cat.
Considering the desert, full synthetic and oil coolers are always a great idea - especially if a lot of stop and go traffic come into play.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,299 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
The best move I did to reduce heat was to get rid of the cat.
Considering the desert, full synthetic and oil coolers are always a great idea - especially if a lot of stop and go traffic come into play.
10-4 On getting rid of the cat!
I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I also added the Wards Fans and my highest oil temp (LED dipstick) readout was 241 just after exiting the freeway in 85+ degree weather.

I usually use SYN3 but one year I was going south and I used Red Line 20w-60w synthetic and although I didn't see much difference in oil temp my engine seemed to have less "ticking? in the valve train.

Those engines can and will take more heat than we can endure but the mid-frame heat shields and possibly the Cap'n Itch cover that fits beneath the seat may be worth looking into especially for those of you in the hotter climates.

Quick Reply: 2013 RK oil cooler worth the cost?