Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many have continued riding after a bad accident?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many have continued riding after a bad accident?

Just wondering who here has had a bad motorcycle accident and continued riding.I just had one, and most of my friends think I am crazy for wanting to get another bike and continue riding. I do feel a little apprehensive, and definitely don't want to experience another accidnet like I had, butI stil have the "bug" to ride. Am I nuts, or have most others here continued to ride after they healed up? The moreI think about it, asking this question on this forum is probably stupid. If your are reading this forum, you are probably a rider.Any words of wisdom.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: how many have continued riding after a bad accident?

First, take time to heal. Second, get back on. I was once told that "The measure of a man, is not how many times he falls, but how many times he gets back up". It is also said there are two types of riders. "Those that have wrecked, and those that will."

It may take time to get comfortable again. But you will. And you will be more respectful for the bike and your life. Better for the experience, as bad as it is.

I have had a few wrecks. None more than a few broken bones, and road rash. But I still ride. And I hope to until the good Lord sees fit to call me home. JMHO

Glad you are healing. Safe riding.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

My son continues to ride after a fairly bad accident. He slid up under an oncoming car. Thankfully the car was going slow. Lucky to be alive. Foot peg opend his leg at the knee about 12" long and shattered the femur at the ball joint and of course road rash, and concussion where he hit his head on the bumper. Thankfully he wore a full face Shoei.1 month after accident I have picture of him working on his bike while standing on crutches. There is no cure for the riding disease. Bike is totaled. Broken frame and many other parts.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I was a kid, I crashed three differen't dirt bikes the first time I rode them.
Each time I wanted to ride the bikes again.

As I got better at riding and got my own dirt bike I crashed many times. I broke both thumbs and an ankle in three different accidents. There were many times I wiped out and didn't break anything bit the bike.

On street bikes, I've crashed twice. Once going about 40 mph and once going about 10 mph. I got seariously banged up during the 10 mph crash.My last wipe out on a bike was about 20 years ago when I was still a wild man!

I don't know why but I always want to get ona bike and ride!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know why but I always want to get ona bike and ride!

There is no known cure for the riding disease. Sometimes it can be fatal, but most of the time people live a long happy life with the disease. The mortality rate of all humans is 100%. Some tell me that the bike will kill me, but my response is we all live till we die, so I will LIVE until I die. If I can't ride, I may as well be dead.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In 1980, while stationed at Camp Pendleton in the Marines, I went down on Oceanside Blvd and broke my ankle amoung other injuries. Back at base the corpsman put my right leg in a cast. The next day my buddies and me put the bike back together down at the motorpool(mostly cosmetic damage). By the 3rd day I was ridin around base again. Someone told the C.O. I was ridin and I was standin tall in front of the man next thing I knew. C.O. He says If I'm seen ridin with my cast on again I'll get busted. That afternoon I ripped the cast off with a pair of vise-grips and was ridin again(hey no cast, no bust). Now I'm payin for that cause the ankle is sore all the time....

Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 AM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: garcon

The moreI think about it, asking this question on this forum is probably stupid. If your are reading this forum, you are probably a rider.Any words of wisdom.

Glad you weren't hurt bad enough to not be ABLE to ride again! I've had one pretty bad accident since getting my Ultra, broken collarbone, but a lot of people will tell you if someone has a wreck in a cage, most will not give up driving and the same applies to bikes. The ones who may reconsider most likely are the ones who 'may' not belong on two wheels anyway. I don't mean that as negative,I just think a veteran rider will ride regardless unless they are to the point where the risks don't outweigh the enjoyment.

We all accept some degree of danger and if we're competent enough in our skills, we have a comfort level we can abide with. Some people just aren't cut out to do certain things. I probably could never be a tight-rope walker or a lion tamer because I don't have the skill nor desire to do so. If someone rides to try and prove themselves orthey're not comfortable doing so, they most likely will be hurt very bad one day or danged lucky if they don't.

As PapaTravis said, heal up, respect your skills and learn from the experience. Let us know what happened and why, there may be others on here who could learn from YOUR experience. It might savea life.........ride safe......

Old 06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Fearless1
Tourer

Get back on and go you can get killed in a car just about as quick.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

wideglide95th wrote: There is no known cure for the riding disease. Sometimes it can be fatal, but most of the time people live a long happy life with the disease. The mortality rate of all humans is 100%. Some tell me that the bike will kill me, but my response is we all live till we die, so I will LIVE until I die. If I can't ride, I may as well be dead.

I like that, wideglide95th. I hit a deer on my Super Glide Wednesday June 20. My bike is at the dealer waiting for an estimate. I spent Wednesday night in the hospital with a couple of busted ribs, a punctured lung, and road rash on my face, head and knees. Then I was at my sister's house a couple of nights and got home yesterday Saturday. I got off lucky. My gloves, boots and jacket protected me but my jeans went thru at the knees and I wasn't wearing a helmet.

So now I'm planning to get some Draggin jeans and a good half helmet. Maybe next time I can walk away with just the broken ribs.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 AM
garcon
Cruiser

The partof my accident that bothers me is that I am really not sure what I did wrong to lose control and go down. I know the edge of the road and gravel played a roll, but things happen so quickly that it'sdifficult for me to figure outmy mistake and learn from my acccident. I wish I could say I did this or that wrong and thats why I went down, but I really don't know why. All I know is thatI don'twant to make the same mistake again. Problem is, I'm not sure what that mistake is.
I also have a broken collar bone and it take weeks(months) to heal because at my age, bones don't mend as quick as they once did, but as soon as I can, I plan to ride again.

Quick Reply: how many have continued riding after a bad accident?