Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 05:41 PM
c4mac
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ABS delete

2012 FLHRC original owner, ABS crapped out and I've decided to delete the ABS from my bike. I have already purchased the non-ABS front and rear brake line assemblies which are pretty straight forward. My issue now is a front brake light switch. The part can be ordered but I don't know that my ABS bike will have the plug available on the factory wiring harness. I know the ABS and non-ABS wiring harnesses are different. What will I need to do/buy to finish my ABS delete project?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh boy for a 1st post these guys are gonna give you a hard time for this even though I understand your frustration with your ABS.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:01 PM
c4mac
Novice

Yeah I've seen a couple other threads and honestly the responses are pretty surprising. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some experience with the project, otherwise I will just finish it myself and post the how to here.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by c4mac
2012 FLHRC . My issue now is a front brake light switch.
I don't know why you would have to change the front brake light switch. ABS & Non-ABS use the same part which is in the hand controls.

https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson....SWITCHES,_HAND

The following users liked this post:
c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Think about this before you delete anything.
Some states check the ABS for their state safety inspection in order to get plates renewed.
If you take it to a dealer to be worked on and they see it has been disabled it would be against federal law to work on said bike. Much the same with emissions also.

Yamaharley (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM
SkyMaster1
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Please keep us updated
If my pump fails the ABS get eliminated

cue the "OMG you're all going to die" posts

Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 PM
c4mac
Novice

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I don't know why you would have to change the front brake light switch. ABS & Non-ABS use the same part which is in the hand controls.

https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson....SWITCHES,_HAND
There is no brake light switch on the hand controls for the ABS version, I believe the front brake light switch is part of the ABS module which is kind of weird because the rear brake light switch is an actual pressure switch on the brake line. The non-ABS model front brake should mount right to the ABS version hand controls, like you said they are the same controls. If push comes to shove I will just hardwire the switch myself, a light bulb circuit is about as basic as it gets.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Yeah I've seen a couple other threads and honestly the responses are pretty surprising. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some experience with the project, otherwise I will just finish it myself and post the how to here.
Mechanical's would be fairly straight forward I'd think , dealing with the black boxes, sensors and all the electronic tie in's would be fly in this project. Never done one, I'll follow this.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,505 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Not correct. No brake lamp switch in the ABS. The rear BL switch operates by pressure, front by lever position, and the ABS module operates by the pulses from the tone ring built into the wheel bearing.

c4mac (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:43 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

There is no brake light switch on the hand controls for the ABS version, I believe the front brake light switch is part of the ABS module which is kind of weird because the rear brake light switch is an actual pressure switch on the brake line. The non-ABS model front brake should mount right to the ABS version hand controls, like you said they are the same controls. If push comes to shove I will just hardwire the switch myself, a light bulb circuit is about as basic as it gets.
I think you need to check again. P/N 71621-08. Brake light switch turns off ABS and turns on rear brake light.

The following 2 users liked this post by FXDXTSport:
c4mac (05-18-2018), Campy Roadie (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: ABS delete