Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 AM
c4mac
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
I think you need to check again. P/N 71621-08. Brake light switch turns off ABS and turns on rear brake light.
I see it in my parts catalog, saw it earlier today and assumed it was for the non-ABS models. Just checked my service manual and sure as **** the stoplight switch is part of the Road King Classic Right Hand Control! Hell, this project just got simple. Thanks FXDX!

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,792 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Cab Lizzard
Think about this before you delete anything.
Some states check the ABS for their state safety inspection in order to get plates renewed.
If you take it to a dealer to be worked on and they see it has been disabled it would be against federal law to work on said bike. Much the same with emissions also.
So, some states do a safety inspection of a feature that is optional? And it’s against federal law to work on it? Sorry, but I find both hard to believe.

The following users liked this post:
c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 AM
Lostrider
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

So, some states do a safety inspection of a feature that is optional? And it’s against federal law to work on it? Sorry, but I find both hard to believe.
I agree with you there. I have a 2012 as well and while I am non ABS I can clearly see the ABS light in my instrument cluster. Obviously I do not have the ABS visible on my wheels but in the end it is an option that you do not have to buy so therefore I find it hard to believe that any state would enforce anything while inspecting the bike. I live in a state that does require a yearly inspection. It is a safety inspection and the only check concerning brakes is pad wear and function, not optional features.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Well now that everybody knows where the front brake light switch is, I have a question. If all you do to a bike like the OP's 2012 RK is change the brake lines to non-abs lines, thus by-passing the abs module, would the ABS light stay on. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know it does check that the wheel speed sensors are working as the bike hits 3 mph. So without changing anything else would you get an ABS error. I would think that you could plug the openings on the abs module and not get any errors.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM
KCHD1
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Some states check the ABS for their state safety inspection in order to get plates renewed.
If you take it to a dealer to be worked on and they see it has been disabled it would be against federal law to work on said bike. Much the same with emissions also.
It would be "against Federal Law" Is there anything the Feds don't stick a finger in ( I never heard of such a law). I also can not think of any shop or even a dealer who would first of all realize you deleted it much less give a crap. And I also do not know of many shops that would turn the work away? They may not want to ever work on your brakes that I could understand.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Emissions are covered by both state and federal law. ABS is required on most bikes sold in the EU. I'm not aware of any law in the US that requires ABS on motorcycles. In fact many bikes still don't have it. It would be no more illegal to delete than it would to change out your seat.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I don't know why you would have to change the front brake light switch. ABS & Non-ABS use the same part which is in the hand controls.

https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson....SWITCHES,_HAND

All you need is a short brake line to jump around the module (I think) and you should be good to go. If it were me I'd just buy a new module and do it right. I actually have seen one that was done that way but have no idea how well or if it worked, Good luck!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:10 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
All you need is a short brake line to jump around the module (I think) and you should be good to go. If it were me I'd just buy a new module and do it right. I actually have seen one that was done that way but have no idea how well or if it worked, Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I was just speculating about whether or not the ABS light would come on if all you did was replace the ABS brake lines with Non-ABS lines and plug the ABS module. I have no intention of disabling the ABS on my 14 FLHTK nor am I advocating that the OP disable his. My original reply was to let the OP know that the ABS & Non-ABS models use the same brake light switch.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Thanks for the info. I was just speculating about whether or not the ABS light would come on if all you did was replace the ABS brake lines with Non-ABS lines and plug the ABS module. I have no intention of disabling the ABS on my 14 FLHTK nor am I advocating that the OP disable his. My original reply was to let the OP know that the ABS & Non-ABS models use the same brake light switch.
Pull the abs fuse and the light can't come on. No power to that system.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
I saw that bypass on this forum somewhere. As I recall it worked well. That is what I'd do if I had AND and it failed.
As for buying a new module, that's not gonna happen. HD has made the new ones dealer only. EBay does have a few used ones but I'd rather bypass than gamble on a used one, as prone as they are to failure...

Quick Reply: ABS delete