Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS center mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018 | 09:59 AM
Meist21
|
Cruiser
Default GPS center mount

Okay I know this has been talked about much but really wanted some advice for options. On my 2013 Ultral Limtied I have the Harley 3 pouch bag set up on the windshield. I want to mount a center GPS mount and I don't want to drill the painted inner fairing. Saw something from T&T fabrications but in their description they say the mount won't work with the part number bags I have (58900-11). Seems silly to spend extra $$ to replace bags as they sell the mount with bags as well. I know Iron Aces has a mount as well it seems you can use with 3M tape. Not sure how well that will hold up. I'm not a fabricator but it seems a piece of steel bent and drilled for the center windshield screw then powder coated might work too. T&T has not answered my e-mails so I was wondering what you guys recommend?????? I don't want to mount to my handlebars as my iPhone will mount there. I have both Bluetooth and ipod interface so I have no music playing issues either. Anyone come up with some good ideas. I still may take a trip to the local hardware store to see what they have that I can bend to make.
Thanks guys for any and all help.

Old 05-15-2018 | 11:15 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

I drilled the rivets out of the center bag and removed it. Then installed the mount to the plate.

Old 05-15-2018 | 02:22 PM
Meist21
|
Cruiser

Thanks.........I was trying to save that bag as it is the one usefull bag for items like my wallet. The other two bags are kind of useless but the center one isn't. Thanks for the input however. I still don't get what it is about the T&T mount that won't let it fit with that bag. No one has gotten back to me for their site however.

Old 05-15-2018 | 02:36 PM
Grady10
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Meist21
Thanks.........I was trying to save that bag as it is the one usefull bag for items like my wallet. The other two bags are kind of useless but the center one isn't. Thanks for the input however. I still don't get what it is about the T&T mount that won't let it fit with that bag. No one has gotten back to me for their site however.
It is a pain to get the middle pouch latch closed. I made one myself and only put things in the middle pouch that I don't use that often. You also have to order a sur-grip clip for whatever you are going to put there. I have my phone mounted there and LOVE it. I've got tunes, GPS, etc and mines an 08.

Old 05-15-2018 | 04:40 PM
harleybob815
Supporter
Default t n t

t n t is a pain. they take forever to respond. they did however give me a full refund on the mount i bought. they do offer a 2 bag version, i believe . the mount is a good idea but the bags kinda look homemade. i ended up getting a deal on a 14 with boombox so i never followed through with mounting. in fact i just listed my never used zumo roadtech 590 lol

Old 05-15-2018 | 06:54 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Okay I know this has been talked about much but really wanted some advice for options. On my 2013 Ultral Limtied I have the Harley 3 pouch bag set up on the windshield. I want to mount a center GPS mount and I don't want to drill the painted inner fairing. Saw something from T&T fabrications but in their description they say the mount won't work with the part number bags I have (58900-11). Seems silly to spend extra $$ to replace bags as they sell the mount with bags as well. I know Iron Aces has a mount as well it seems you can use with 3M tape. Not sure how well that will hold up. I'm not a fabricator but it seems a piece of steel bent and drilled for the center windshield screw then powder coated might work too. T&T has not answered my e-mails so I was wondering what you guys recommend?????? I don't want to mount to my handlebars as my iPhone will mount there. I have both Bluetooth and ipod interface so I have no music playing issues either. Anyone come up with some good ideas. I still may take a trip to the local hardware store to see what they have that I can bend to make.
Thanks guys for any and all help.
I think I agree with you about a steel bracket that uses the center windshield screw. Biggest potential issue I can think of is you might get quite a bit of vibration at the GPS, since it's got a little weight to it, and is out a couple inches from the mount point (assuming you're extending it out too allow the bags to sit behind it). Though maybe the bags would dampen the vibration? My concern there would be putting that vibrating load on the lip of the plastic inner fairing. And it might be hard to read the GPS, too 😀

Please post back if you put something together - I'm definitely interested.

Old 05-16-2018 | 03:47 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have the TnT center gpd mount with the there bag pouch. Kinda squished the center bag. Not a big deal as I carry my riding glasses there. Works fine. I am a taller rider and I did have to change the angle of my Zumo 550. I did that by making a plastic wedge.

Old 05-16-2018 | 09:05 AM
Meist21
|
Cruiser

Goose......................so was the center mount you received with the bags they make or did you buy just the center mount and add it to bags you already have? I really don't care if the center bag is pushed in a little. Also are the bags t&t makes Velcro close or magnetic or what? Just curious. I am going to call a buddy and see if we can make something. We'll let you know how that turns out. If the mount is secure with the center windshield bolt and then secured on the bottom with like industrial Velcro I would think vibration will be kept to a minimum. I plan on putting some type of protection on the top of my inner fairing under the bags like I have now (just a 3M type of film) to protect the paint from scratching. Its a great idea and place to put a mount. I can't believe to my knowledge only a couple places (T&T and Iron aces) offer a solution. I'll probably end up getting a different GPS unit as well. Probably bite the bullet and go Zumo. I'll see if I can get this thing mounted first however. Thanks for all the feedback too this is great!!!!!

Old 05-16-2018 | 09:33 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Goose......................so was the center mount you received with the bags they make or did you buy just the center mount and add it to bags you already have? I really don't care if the center bag is pushed in a little. Also are the bags t&t makes Velcro close or magnetic or what? Just curious. I am going to call a buddy and see if we can make something. We'll let you know how that turns out. If the mount is secure with the center windshield bolt and then secured on the bottom with like industrial Velcro I would think vibration will be kept to a minimum. I plan on putting some type of protection on the top of my inner fairing under the bags like I have now (just a 3M type of film) to protect the paint from scratching. Its a great idea and place to put a mount. I can't believe to my knowledge only a couple places (T&T and Iron aces) offer a solution. I'll probably end up getting a different GPS unit as well. Probably bite the bullet and go Zumo. I'll see if I can get this thing mounted first however. Thanks for all the feedback too this is great!!!!!
I have the Harley three pouch dash before I bought the mount.

Old 05-16-2018 | 02:35 PM
Meist21
|
Cruiser

Hey Goose not to drag this on but is your Harley 3 pouch the one with the center bag and the two useless outer bags that hold very little? Mine also slides in the fairing on the back side of the windshield and gets held in with the same three windshield screws. Also the bags are held closed by magnets. So if the center bag is squished and that is the whole problem then I don't mind having that issue. Just wanted to clarify. I am not sure about the sure grip thing talked about above but will see if I can pull something up on the internet on that. I just don't get why it says it won't work with that windshield bag on their website.

Quick Reply: GPS center mount