Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKC leather bags getting torn up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018 | 06:05 PM
ajnigli
|
Tourer
Default RKC leather bags getting torn up

Hey All,
I got a 2013 RKC with leather bags.. I ride as often as I can and that includes to work. I used my saddle bags to bring my lunch and other items so specifically my right side bag gets used daily. I just noticed that the inside lip of the lid is getting torn up by the mounting screws from the 4-point mounting dock. I do my best to open the lid slowly but after review there is no way for the inside lip to Not rub against the screw. It is starting to tear up the leather. I know there is the hinge stop kit for the bags but I don't want to lose accessibility into the bags which has been reported with that kit.
Also, the rivet that holds the side emblem on the leather bag is gauging the top of the inside of the bag.

Is this just par for the course with these leather bags? Any ideas to avoid these beyond the hinge kit? Anybody have the hinge stop kit installed and can snap a pic of the lid fully opened? I know wear and tear will happen but if I can slow it down I'll certainly try.

Old 05-07-2018 | 06:23 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

And this is what happens over time when you drag your boot across the outer top edge too many times and rip the seam just a little.

I too ride every day and open that saddle bag constantly. So much the front buckle gave up a long time ago. My Road King is ten years old now and has 127,000 something miles on it. The majority of them from commuting daily. Lucky me for me I have two bikes. One I keep decent for trips and rides with momma on the back. The Road King is relegated to commuting only so I don't care so much about the looks any more even though it is my favorite of the two. I stay on top of the maintenance but gave up on trying to keep it pretty a long time ago. When people tease me about the looks, I just tell them I bought it to ride it, not polish it. That's what they look like when they get ridden.

My answer to your original question... in my opinion....There's not much you can do. Nature of the beast with the leather bags. The hinge kit would be a pain if you are in it everyday and the only other option is being very careful every time you open and close. Also a pain.

Old 05-07-2018 | 08:34 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

The solution for me was to place some washers behind the 2 metal brackets on each side that attach to frame and are your saddle bag bolting points.
But my bike is a 1998 but the idea is the same.
When you purchase a back rest it sometimes brings some thick spacer washers that would be as thick as 4 USA quarters to space the metal brackets away from frame when that metal bracket is bolted to frame.
What that does is that it angles the top of the bags away from the bike by having the saddle bag mounting points further away from frame.
Since bags will be angled out/away at the top, it will not cause lids to rub.
On your year, i believe you can use washers under the the front metal bracket saddle bag mounting point to place bracket away from bike but the rear will require you to remove the DZUS fastner and convert to u-nuts and a bolt (or ****).
So on the rear you would use a spacer between the actual leather bag and bracket.
I guess you could make life easier and just go to Lowes, hardware section, to the drawers....get 4 u-nuts, 4 bolts, 4 spacers , 4 spring washers and re-use the washers in bag.
That way you are only working on the 4 bolts and it would be rather quick.
Down side is you need to remember spacers every time you remove bags... if you are someone who removes bags all the time to clean.
Spacers to be sandwiched on bolt between bag and mounting point.
Link to thread that has u-nuts
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-thingies.html

Old 05-09-2018 | 08:23 PM
ajnigli
|
Tourer

I like the spacer idea. I switched to the u-nuts and bolts last year for a little security. I will be looking into this option for sure. A simple washer and longer bolts may be just the ticket.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!!

Old 05-12-2018 | 05:04 PM
roost812
Tourer

Just get hard bags and call it good...

Old 05-12-2018 | 05:19 PM
T Man
Road Captain

I have a 2012 RKC, same bags, mine aren't doing that, not sure what the difference would be.

Old 05-12-2018 | 06:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine are still in good shape. I put the hinge kit on and hated them, but I guess I got used to them as I don’t notice anymore?? I normally run run bags now anyway. I still like the look of the leather bags better though...

Old 05-13-2018 | 11:06 PM
ajnigli
|
Tourer

So I got longer bolts and put 2 fender washers per attachment points and I got the clearance I need. Probably could have gotten by with 1 washer but I'm happy with 2. Simple fix. I just wish I noticed it sooner before I tore the leather but such is life.

I posted a picture but not sure what it's not showing.

Last edited by ajnigli; 05-13-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2018 | 08:14 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad it got resolved easily.
A little regular shoe scuff stuff applied to just the cut will help to hide the nick in the leather
It happens rather often and most folks let it go with no action causing bags to get destroyed.
Not familiar with rivet damage that holds the side emblem on the leather bag gauging the top of the inside of the bag.
Does rivet have a sharp edge? Maybe you can grind the edge down a little and then use some adhesive to attach some felt, rubber washer or corn pad.
Kinda make a tiny doughnut around the rivet...or to make it easier just use a corn pad dyed black and glued to surround the rivet.
The corn pad is basically a piece of thick felt like material with a hole in the center..if you use a sharpie on it then it could be turned black and blend into the bag.