Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing "Premium" about these shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 02:40 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Nothing "Premium" about these shocks...

So to make a long story short, I was at my buddies on Wednesday. We were in the garage where I noticed what looked like a brand new pair of the Harley 12 inch Premium Hand Adjustable shocks. So I asked where he got them? He said they came on his new bike and they sucked so bad he immediately replaced them, and they were just sitting there. He said.... "you want'em?". I've been running the factory stock length air shocks with Pingel billit lowering blocks since my bikes been pretty much new. So I figured, heck yeah, I'll take 'em!

So I went out yesterday and installed them. I pretty much know absolutely NOTHING about these shocks, so I backed the **** all the way out to the softest setting, then turned 2 clicks. I hopped on and went for a test ride. I didn't make it a mile, and had to stop. It was like riding on a brick, compared to the stock air shocks! So I jumped off, backed the adjustment **** all the way out and hopped back on. After a second or two the shocks seemed to loosen up and be working, but were still ridiculously hard riding. And even on the softest setting, do not ride as smooth as my stock air shocks. Man, calling these things Premium, is a gross misscharacterization. They pretty much suck.

I totally get the lowered version with the much shorter stroke than the full length shocks, comes with a sacrafice in ride quality. And many on this board complained about them, but I guess I was more hopefull than most. And given what I hear about Ohlins, it sure sounds like for the couple hundred extra they cost, the Ohlins would be money well spent. Cause had I paid even 5 cents for these, I'd feel like I overpaid. I've also read the standard length Premium Hand Adjustable are a whole nother animal, and people enjoy them. But I definitely see why there's so many of the lowered versions FOR SALE.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experiences with the lowered version of these shocks in the event potential buyers start searching for opinions.
End of rant.

edit: these shocks literally were removed when the bike was brand new. In people's experiences, do they soften up over time? Have I just not given them a fair shake? After a few hundred or thousand miles, do they settle nicely in?

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:57 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

You may have made a mistake & made them TOO soft.... riding on the bump stops. My '15 Limited Low came with those shock & it was OK for what they are.... a shock with 2" of travel. I needed them cranked up high for my 230 pound solo riding.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Installed on mine, they are fine, way better than the stock air shocks. Some love them, some hate them. You get similar comments on the air shocks whom I am one of them.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:19 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm 350lbs and came off a Ultra. Have my RGS set @ 11, rides fine. I commute on it every day. They definitely soften up.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Those shocks are nothing but short sticks with springs on them.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:54 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

My 2 Cents. They are stiff. I only weigh 190 and had 13" (free) on my 89 FLHTCU and had to put a 20lb dumbell in each bag to make it ride ok. Brother in law blew Air shock and called to see if I had something he could use, couldn't get them off fast enough. Well the 89 be old and I don't really ride it much so I was just waiting for a good deal to come along. My son brought me a pair of 12s yesterday, so at least the bike has shocks again.
That makes 5 pair that have been in my shop - take offs - free. There is a reason.
To be fair my 09 Ultra has Legend AXEO and Ohlin 3-3's, so I may be spoiled.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

"I pretty much know absolutely NOTHING about these shocks" Well that says it all right there.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (05-16-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I am 175 lbs. The shocks are definitely way better than air shocks for handling and getting in a corner a little hot. Solo I like them about a half a turn to one turn. Zero turns feel like the rear the bike wants to wiggle a little bit in a harder corner.

The problem I seem to have with them is they do not do dips very well. My wife and I together are about 280 lbs. We have run them at one and a half turns or 1 turn or no turns. Anything past two turns way too stiff. This would be our third year with them.

I just ordered some Legends Revo A's. I should have them in the next week to week and a half.

There's a video on YouTube where Big Bear Choppers cut the spring off of the right premium shock. The Piston just goes back and forth and collapses with no resistance at all. I think the premium shocks are better than the air shocks but for me it's time to try something else.

The following users liked this post:
secular (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:19 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I am 175 lbs. The shocks are definitely way better than air shocks for handling and getting in a corner a little hot. Solo I like them about a half a turn to one turn. Zero turns feel like the rear the bike wants to wiggle a little bit in a harder corner.

The problem I seem to have with them is they do not do dips very well. My wife and I together are about 280 lbs. We have run them at one and a half turns or 1 turn or no turns. Anything past two turns way too stiff. This would be our third year with them.

I just ordered some Legends Revo A's. I should have them in the next week to week and a half.

There's a video on YouTube where Big Bear Choppers cut the spring off of the right premium shock. The Piston just goes back and forth and collapses with no resistance at all. I think the premium shocks are better than the air shocks but for me it's time to try something else.
Post of that video would be good, I can't find it, thanks

Old 05-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Yeah, they SUCK!!!!

Quick Reply: Nothing "Premium" about these shocks...