Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing "Premium" about these shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw

So to make a long story short, I was at my buddies on Wednesday. We were in the garage where I noticed what looked like a brand new pair of the Harley 12 inch Premium Hand Adjustable shocks. So I asked where he got them? He said they came on his new bike and they sucked so bad he immediately replaced them, and they were just sitting there. He said.... "you want'em?". I've been running the factory stock length air shocks with Pingel billit lowering blocks since my bikes been pretty much new. So I figured, heck yeah, I'll take 'em!

So I went out yesterday and installed them. I pretty much know absolutely NOTHING about these shocks, so I backed the **** all the way out to the softest setting, then turned 2 clicks. I hopped on and went for a test ride. I didn't make it a mile, and had to stop. It was like riding on a brick, compared to the stock air shocks! So I jumped off, backed the adjustment **** all the way out and hopped back on. After a second or two the shocks seemed to loosen up and be working, but were still ridiculously hard riding. And even on the softest setting, do not ride as smooth as my stock air shocks. Man, calling these things Premium, is a gross misscharacterization. They pretty much suck.

I totally get the lowered version with the much shorter stroke than the full length shocks, comes with a sacrafice in ride quality. And many on this board complained about them, but I guess I was more hopefull than most. And given what I hear about Ohlins, it sure sounds like for the couple hundred extra they cost, the Ohlins would be money well spent. Cause had I paid even 5 cents for these, I'd feel like I overpaid. I've also read the standard length Premium Hand Adjustable are a whole nother animal, and people enjoy them. But I definitely see why there's so many of the lowered versions FOR SALE.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experiences with the lowered version of these shocks in the event potential buyers start searching for opinions.
End of rant.

edit: these shocks literally were removed when the bike was brand new. In people's experiences, do they soften up over time? Have I just not given them a fair shake? After a few hundred or thousand miles, do they settle nicely in?
Yeah, they are not so great...but when properly adjusted, will be a bit of an improvement over the same size OEM air shocks.

You may find this REPORT useful/interesting.

We tested a bunch of shocks, including the "Premium" ones you installed.

Here's an excerpt from the above report.

Rear Suspension Components.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 AM
paddywagon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For all the people hating on the 12" version of the adjustable shocks, I'd be happy to take them off your hands for you.

The following users liked this post:
mrbreezeett1 (02-01-2020)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:25 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

So I've heard there are different versions of the Premium shocks. Pre 2016 vs 2017/2018. The 2017/2018 are different (and better)? Does anyone have experience with the different years? Are the newer take offs much better? I've got an option to get 12" ones from a 2016 CVO to replace my 12" air shocks. Should I do that or continue looking for 2017/2018 take offs?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by paddywagon
For all the people hating on the 12" version of the adjustable shocks, I'd be happy to take them off your hands for you.
there you go you seem to reinforce there good for free. They literally are sticks with springs on them.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
So I've heard there are different versions of the Premium shocks. Pre 2016 vs 2017/2018. The 2017/2018 are different (and better)? Does anyone have experience with the different years? Are the newer take offs much better? I've got an option to get 12" ones from a 2016 CVO to replace my 12" air shocks. Should I do that or continue looking for 2017/2018 take offs?
i have experience with the 2014s and the 2016s. There’s no difference. To get a better ride out of them, I’ve found it best to ignore the HD recommended settings and adjust them so they’re stiffer.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 AM
paddywagon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
there you go you seem to reinforce there good for free. They literally are sticks with springs on them.
Everybody likes different things, that's what makes the world go round. My buddy has a new street glide special, I've ridden that and I've also ridden the bikes we have at work on a fairly regular basis. I like the way the feel better than the air shocks on my bike.
I find it surprising that with two pages of hate, I don't see more of them for sale in the classifieds.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

When adjusting push the rubber stop up on the shaft, then ride it. If it is all the way down the shaft push it up again and turn the adjuster in a couple more clicks and ride again. Do this untill there is about a 3/8 left from the bottom. If there is more than that the shocks are set to stiff so back them off a couple clicks.
When it is at the bottom after a ride the shock is bottoming out.

Last edited by timbo141; 05-14-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I just cant understand the logic of some on here that actually think more pre-load is a better ride?? Surely would be if you weighed 500#.
As I said earlier I spent an entire day riding the countryside testing and in the end the more you compress that spring down the worse it gets as it should.
Me and gear weigh around 300# and I have yet to bottom out on the lowest possible setting. What really needs to happen with these shocks is to have lighter springs installed so you can then put the adjuster to some use.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM
01rkclassic
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Rick58
There is a chart in the owners manual that shows suggested settings for the shocks with and without tour pack based on rider weight and additional weight of passenger, cargo and accessories, it's a good starting point to get them dialed in. And they will soften up after awhile.
ahh some body can read!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,487 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Originally Posted by 50pannmore
I think those shocks are the biggest piece of **** Harley ever made they do not even match from one side to the other I put a set of legend shocks on my 15 road glide and it made an incredible difference
Clearly you need to read up on suspension technology, each shock serves a different purpose. I went from the air shocks (which are truly terrible) to new take off 2017's and the improvement was dramatic and at $200 how could I go wrong?

Quick Reply: Nothing "Premium" about these shocks...