Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:44 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

2 full pages of responses and not ONE mention of lemon pledge? What is this place coming to?

carl

The following 2 users liked this post by carlgrover:
Mad Jasper (05-05-2018), SteveB1971 (04-18-2021)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:03 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by woodthumb2
my thoughts... keep water away from anything electrical or moving parts if possible... cant always avoid the rain but sure can the hose... water infiltrates switches, contacts,sensors, bearings and more...sometimes i will sponge off wheels , fenders and tour pak with clean bucket water only then blow off and wipe down...if u must hose down do gently and stay away from fairing and handlebars... i will blow off dust then wipe down with harley spray clean and polish... i have tried all and really think it's best... besides it smells good..laugh..also their polish in a bottle is amazing stuff... bike spirits ok never did like the honda spray.. but then again... who am I ?

I seriously doubt you have tried all cleaning products. Pinnacle? Wolfgang? Gyeon? BlackFire? Lots of stuff out there

To POLISH paint you need abrasives. Does the harley spray have abrasives? I doubt it. It might clean well but polish, no.

If you don't want to use a hose, rinseless wash is a very good option. If you would rather spray a product on, waterless wash. More economical, cleans better than some of the options mentioned

Last edited by eaglefan1; 05-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Lots of good ideas, dry with leaf blower then microfiber.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 PM
philly48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Never washed my bike with a hose, I just use waterless wash.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Mad Jasper
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGamecock
How do you guys wash your bikes? Soup and water and spray it off?
What kind of cloth?
Chamois to dry it?
What do you use to keep the wheels clean?
What kind of chrome polish?
What kind of wax?

My house is on a well and we have hard water. Was thinking about taking the bike to the car wash so I dont have to worry about hard water spots.

Thanks
Wade
Spray detailer and microfiber.
Follow with TopCoat F11.
Typically, I don't use water.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Cold water and a clean wash mitt. I shower the bike in one hand wiping it down with the other then shower it down again. I take a leaf blower or compressor blower and blow all the water off then down the road for three or four miles. Its been said, never to use water it can get into the bearings. Yes so can the air that you use to blow it off and the wind right after. Been using this for 11 years and only ever once replaced a wheel bearing and never a switch yet. Wheel bearing was pooched due to some filings I somehow got into it when I was mocking up a brake bracket on a shovelhead.

randy

Old 05-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Mine only gets washed a few times a year on average as I only wash it if I have ridden in rain and its covered with road film. The majority of the time I use Wizards or Meguiar's quick detailer and a microfiber to shine it up, remove bugs etc.. When I wash it I use a quality auto soap, cold water and a clean wash mitt then blow dry with leaf blower

Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Away from home I have many times used a car wash self spray with zero ramifications. Just use common sense. At home depends on how dirty the bike is. If filthy I use car wash soap and water, rinse and use my HD bike dryer. Leaf blower??? Okay, shoot particles of dust and dirt at your paint. Not a good idea. If it just needs dusted and bug splat removed I use a spray detailer. But I hate cleaning bikes.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I wash with lots of low pressure water and soapy water. I never wash unless I can ride it immediately afterward in order to burn off moisture from motor, exhaust, and brakes.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:14 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i let the service guys do it during my 5000 mile service. in between, i use detail spray for the paint and Windex for the chrome. when i first got the bike, i would wash it with s-100 but after a year or two, i'd just ride the pii$$ out of it and not worry about it....lol

Quick Reply: Washing your bike?