Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:51 AM
13RKC
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

To stop hard water spots get a new, clean garden sprayer and fill it with distilled water. After a regular washing and rinse, use the distilled water for your final spot free rinse. Use a leaf blower to get the excess off and finish drying with a micro fiber.

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (04-18-2021)
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 664 Likes on 408 Posts

Lots of good advice. I, like others use car care products..waxes, detailers, microfiber cloths, plenty of water IF it's really dirty......BUT NEVER EVER USE A PRESSURE WASHER! Pressure washers can force water to go where you don't want it and cause damage to painted surfaces.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM
.:eMETAL:.
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My method which is pretty simple...
  • Meguiar's Gold Clash Wash on my vehicles and motorcycles;
  • Bleach white and nylon scrub brush for white walls;
  • Then blow off with electric leaf blower;
  • Finish dry with microfiber;
  • And up until recently used Lucas Slick Mist spray wax, but my father and I decided to pull the trigger on F11 Topcoat and have to say I was skeptical of all the hype but it's pretty nice stuff! Plus I hardly have to use any in comparison to other spray waxes so the price is now justified a little more knowing the bottle will last me;
  • Finish up with S100 when the engine needs it but not every time (maybe like every 3rd time)

Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 AM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

my thoughts... keep water away from anything electrical or moving parts if possible... cant always avoid the rain but sure can the hose... water infiltrates switches, contacts,sensors, bearings and more...sometimes i will sponge off wheels , fenders and tour pak with clean bucket water only then blow off and wipe down...if u must hose down do gently and stay away from fairing and handlebars... i will blow off dust then wipe down with harley spray clean and polish... i have tried all and really think it's best... besides it smells good..laugh..also their polish in a bottle is amazing stuff... bike spirits ok never did like the honda spray.. but then again... who am I ?

Old 05-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

I try avoid hosing it down with water and hand clean everything. If you are careful with the paint and keep the dust off or major dirt off I see no need. I sometimes use a hose for cleaning the spokes due to brake dust.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:30 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I have washed my Bike twice since new, and probability needs another one.
Most of the time I detail it with the same thing I use on my 56 Chevy BelAir.
that the last repaint was done in 1995. A leaf blower is the Bikes best friend.

John

Old 05-05-2018, 12:35 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 802 Posts

Wash with a quality soap. Microfiber mitt or a wool mitt, I use a wool mitt.
Leaf blow dry. Waffle weave drying towels
Don't use wax anymore, ABSOLUTE dust magnet. Sealant or coating. Last longer, better water angle and stays cleaner longer.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 4,694 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by GOGOBECK

I try not to touch the paint or chrome without water... dust is extremely abrasive!
allow me to clarify. I blow all dust off with air line first. If it is especially dirty, then I use the auto wash and rinse, other wise I go straight for the meguirs spray cleaner.

Dust is never wiped off, and towels/applicators never touch bike dry. I just usually do not use water wash.

With a good coat of wax, and compressed air you can get the dust off.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Peace Frog
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I like using Vegetable Beef Soup

Seriously though I use Ice Turtle Wax Soap and dry with a microfiber cloth. Then use Turtle Carnauba Spray Wax

Old 05-05-2018, 01:52 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Mike

allow me to clarify. I blow all dust off with air line first. If it is especially dirty, then I use the auto wash and rinse, other wise I go straight for the meguirs spray cleaner.

Dust is never wiped off, and towels/applicators never touch bike dry. I just usually do not use water wash.

With a good coat of wax, and compressed air you can get the dust off.
You won't get it all off,. Dust, dirt sticks to wax. Touch the wax in the jar, it is tacky for lack of a better word. Like I mentioned previously, this is why I use a sealant or a coating. I detail as a side gig and always steer my customers away from wax unless its a show car/garage queen
If you don't want to use a hose there are 2 preferred options. Rinse less wash or waterless wash.

Quick Reply: Washing your bike?