Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Drag

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Front Brake Drag

Hi Guys,

How much brake drag is normal on an FLHX?

I just had my brakes serviced (thanks, recall!) and the ABS module replaced (boo, recall!). I brought the bike home about a month ago and it's pretty much sat since then.

Yesterday, I jacked the bike up and detailed it. While cleaning the front wheel I noticed the front brake seemed to drag more than usual. When I took it for a ride, I could actually hear a wishing noise from the front, that went away when I squeezed the front brake. I think I could actually hear the pads dragging on the rotor.

I decided the best course of action was to turn the radio up and head home. I expect the pads will wear off sooner or later, but do you think the HD shop gakked my brakes up somehow? The headers are in tight and I see no signs of an exhaust leak. Motor mounts are tight.

Thanks,
PPearl

Last edited by PPearl; 05-02-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Drag on the rotor is perfectly normal for disc brakes. It shouldn't be excessive or cause the rotor to overheat. You'll notice this as it will turn blue from the heat.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

On my 09 FLTR I've had to clean the front brake caliper pistons a few times to free them up to reduce the brake drag. There's no protective boot on the piston so over time you'll get a build up of brake dust and road grime that can impede the movement of the piston and cause varying amounts of drag. They're not hard to clean if you're slightly mechanically inclined. Remove the calipers one at a time and install a paint stirring stick between the brake pads to prevent the pistons from coming too far out. The paint stirring stick is a little thinner than the brake disc so the pistons will extend further out to allow better cleaning when you squeeze the lever. Keep an eye on your brake master cylinder when cleaning them since the brake fluid level will drop as the pistons extend. Spray the pistons with brake cleaner and brush with a tooth brush . Pretty easy.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:16 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 425 Likes on 258 Posts

My ‘03 FLHTCI requires front brake calipers be cleaned every 30-45 days depending on trips. The brake dust and grime will cause “sticking” you’re feeling.

With the bike outside, grab some brake cleaner and spray onto a clean rag then wipe those rotors. Quick and easy and should quiet it down and free them up a bit.

Slight drag is normal.

The following users liked this post:
Sauls (05-02-2018)