Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda buying Harley!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Honda buying Harley!?

Well guys, I ride a Harley and sell Yamaha's and Suzuki's. Our sales are way down this summer. The Yamaha crusiers are not selling. The Suzuki crusiers and sport bikes ( gixxers ) are not selling. People are not parting with their money. On the other hand. ATV's are selling very good as are used bikes. Harley is not the only manufacturer having selling problems.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:50 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAVETHEBUILDER

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

I think Harley is running on borrowed time actually..It's a simple case of demographics. The average age of a Harey buyer is something like 46 or 48! and that number has been climbing. Go to a dealer and look at the people browsing, most are middle age(us). We grew up with Harley as the bike to have, and for us it's stil the bike to have, but my kids(15 and 17) are part of the next gen to buy, and Harley's are seen by most young ones as an "older guys bike). These kids today want Hyabusa's and GSXR's. Harley's market share is literally dying-off, and so the number of sales will continue to drop in my opinion. It's a business cycle that is starting to run it's course. Look at what GM Ford and Mopar are up against. 3-5 years and Toyota will be #1 for the next 20 years. It's still a beautiful looking bike in my world, but between the EPA and the You-Tube generation Harley is gonna have a tough time in the next 10 years. I think we will at some point see some kind of major gamble by the Moco in a new type of machine, maybe not right now, but probably within the next 5 years....just an opinion...
Your probably right for the most part but my son who's 19a all his buddys ride metrics but they all want Harleys I told him today about a older road king 4sale cheap and he was pumped but hes been riding seens he was 8 and he got his Mc lisence before his operators
Ya Dave, there are a few youngin's that will make the switch when they get older, but it's not just Harley's. there is very little loyalty to anything American anymore as a general rule. Man, I remember back in the 70's and early 80's, if you drove a foreign car you took crap
from a lot of your friends..now?..it's the norm...Harley clothes?..all made overseas...accesories?..Taiwan. That nasty little strike they just had is only a warm-up..as health care, and pensions kill off the American auto manufacturers..it will be Harley's turn next. The day my 15 year od boy told me that the coolest car he wants some day is Subaru WRX, I knew that times they are a changin, I mean I know that car is quick, but man is it ugly..

Old 06-23-2007, 11:00 PM
precisionworks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other bikes have no soul. Quiet as death, no vibration, no potato-potato, much like a two-wheeled car - and every bit as boring.

If you want more than that, buy a Harley. My local dealers cannot keep them in stock, for whatever reason.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soichiro Honda, of the Honda Motorcycle Corporation, died and went to heaven for judgement .
At the gates, St. Peter told Mr Honda, 'since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want in Heaven.'

Mr Honda thought about it for a minute and then said, 'I want to hang out with God. I have a question for Him'.
St. Peter took Mr Honda to the Throne Room and introduced him to God. He then asked God,
'Aren't you the inventor of women?'
God Said, 'Ah, yes. Indeed I am'.
'Well,' said Mr Honda, 'Professional to professional, you have some
major design flaws in your design.'

1- There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusion.
2- It chatters constantly at high speeds.
3- Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much.
4- The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust.
5- Plus the monthly down time and aggravation are outrageous, and I don't even wanna start talking about the maintenance costs.

'Hmmmm, you do raise some good points 'replied God, 'Lets have a wee look.' God went to his Celestial super computer, typed in a few things and waited for the results.
After a moment God said, 'Well, it may be true that my invention seems to be flawed, but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than yours..'[/align]

[/align]

Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Unclenuts
Intermediate

If this ever happens I definately buy a Victory . All I hear about them is how dependable they are anyway.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:17 AM
wrustywrench
Cruiser

I priced a gxr and a kaw soprt tourer,,,,the insurance was over a grand a year,, I am 46, clean record,,the harley FLHT ws 250 a year,,,adn has some soul.....not the best bike,, and overpriced.....but I love it.

I want looking for a bike,,,not some plastic covered rev rocket...I wanted bag, floor boards, hell toe shifter, radio and a fairing....got it in a flht....I would have bought a vidtory if they had a flht clone,, the new tourer is ugly...

I like my Harley, but there are things that will happen to them....and I bet its not too good. Things have to change..

Old 06-24-2007, 02:13 AM
kolja
Cruiser

Maybe I was an aberration as a 20 something, but I never had any interest in dirt bikes or crotch rockets, and the other bikes out there just held no interest for me (I learned to ride on a Shadow, but it wasn't mine...). Like someone else said - no soul. Crotch rockets just looked uncomfortable, and even as a 19-20 year old I never saw the appeal of having a plastic bike that sounded like some sort of kitchen appliance. The only bike I've ever owned is a Harley. The next one (ADDITIONAL, not replacement) will be a Harley - unless of course they're Honda by then.

The only non-Harley bike that's even managed remotely intrigue me is the BMW 1150GS - because you can load it full of stuff and take it pretty much anywhere on the face of the earth... but that's an entirely different kind of riding, and has more to do with my liking to camp as far out in the middle of nowhere as you can get.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 AM
DAVETHEBUILDER
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DAVETHEBUILDER

I think Harley is running on borrowed time actually..It's a simple case of demographics. The average age of a Harey buyer is something like 46 or 48! and that number has been climbing. Go to a dealer and look at the people browsing, most are middle age(us). We grew up with Harley as the bike to have, and for us it's stil the bike to have, but my kids(15 and 17) are part of the next gen to buy, and Harley's are seen by most young ones as an "older guys bike). These kids today want Hyabusa's and GSXR's. Harley's market share is literally dying-off, and so the number of sales will continue to drop in my opinion. It's a business cycle that is starting to run it's course. Look at what GM Ford and Mopar are up against. 3-5 years and Toyota will be #1 for the next 20 years. It's still a beautiful looking bike in my world, but between the EPA and the You-Tube generation Harley is gonna have a tough time in the next 10 years. I think we will at some point see some kind of major gamble by the Moco in a new type of machine, maybe not right now, but probably within the next 5 years....just an opinion...
Your probably right for the most part but my son who's 19a all his buddys ride metrics but they all want Harleys I told him today about a older road king 4sale cheap and he was pumped but hes been riding seens he was 8 and he got his Mc lisence before his operators
Ya Dave, there are a few youngin's that will make the switch when they get older, but it's not just Harley's. there is very little loyalty to anything American anymore as a general rule. Man, I remember back in the 70's and early 80's, if you drove a foreign car you took crap
from a lot of your friends..now?..it's the norm...Harley clothes?..all made overseas...accesories?..Taiwan. That nasty little strike they just had is only a warm-up..as health care, and pensions kill off the American auto manufacturers..it will be Harley's turn next. The day my 15 year od boy told me that the coolest car he wants some day is Subaru WRX, I knew that times they are a changin, I mean I know that car is quick, but man is it ugly..
Yea the funny thing is that me and my son built a 72 SS chevelle for his 1st car and all his classmates maid fun of it said he needed to be driven some kind of little 4 cylinder car with big stereo and exhaust system that looks like someone welded a coffee can to the pipe. Times do change but give me American made any day

Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 AM
B dog
Banned

"HONDA BUYING HARLEY"[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]"WHATEVER"
Tell me your joking . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA. Quit ! my side hurts.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 AM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This cracks me up. I am shopping for my first Harley. It will be afew months before I can pull the trigger, so I am getting to know what I can from the boards. I currently own a Honda VTX1800R. It is a great bike. It has plenty of noises and hauls a$$. It falls short of being the touring bike I want. The Wing is a bit too refined and like most guys that have been riding for over thirty years, there is just something about a Harley that you cannot deny. You reach a point where you just gotta have one.

What makes me laugh is the conversations on the board. The Honda guys constantly knock Harley-Davidson. It seems to me to be a clear case of Harley envy. Deep down I think they feel like they are missing out. I get here and what do I hear? "I would rather walk than ride a Honda (or Harley-onda)". Or "buy American".

As most of you know, the Wing and the VTX are made in Ohio, keeping many of our brethren employed. Check the parts list and you will find a lot of American parts on a Honda and a lot of foreign parts on a Harley.

When I finally get my new ride I will post pics of both my horses because I will be a proud papa of two great machines.

Quoting that great American, Rodney King; "Can't we all just get along?"

spiz

Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

The future is for sure an Unknown... for those of you that think it will not change much..

Can you imagine going back to say the 50's or 60's in a time machine and telling the Harley crowd that in the 21st century that Harley would have a radiator a bike??? and that the Large full Touring bikes would be a top seller?? Think not!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Honda buying Harley!?