Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harleys...how to service air filter on 2011 FLHTK 103

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:47 AM
rfulford
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New to Harleys...how to service air filter on 2011 FLHTK 103

I'm relatively new to Harleys. Used to ride Road Kings at work, but never had to do any of the service. Now that I have bought a 2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited, I am thinking about doing some of what looks like the more simpler service things. I need to know about air filter service and what I'm gonna find when I unscrew the screw in the center of the 103 Air Filter cover. It seems like the cover would come loose from the rubber gasket that holds it and then there would be the air filter. Is it just being held in by the cover, or is it screwed into the base behind it? Does the 2011 model 103 have hoses or anything in there that I would have to be careful of putting back on? What type of lock tite do you use on the screw when you put it all back together? Would the stock HD filter be the better replacement, or the K&N made for this model?

I guess I could take it to the dealer and have them deal with it, but I would think its simple enough. I just didn't want to take it apart and get into something that I wished I hadn't dealt with.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

You really ought to invest in one of these - it's worth every cent and then some.

The air filter is pretty straight forward. If you can replace a car's air filter, you can replace the Harley's too.

Personally, if it were otherwise stock, I'd keep the air filter stock also.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

Once you remove the center bolt, and pull the cover you will see 3 bolts holding the filter on. Paper ones are not serviceable. If you find a K&N filter in there, there is probably a Class one upgrade. (aftermarket air filter, catalytic converter removed, slip ons) K&N are serviceable, you clean them with their cleaner and apply their oil. (not too much)

Most of us will recommend you to buy a service manual if you are going to start doing service work, or watch some youtube videos. Good luck

Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 AM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 717 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Just one suggestion

Even with a service manual, here is one suggestion. If it still has the stock air breather plumbing there is probably a small black rubber hose/fitting that enters the back of filter housing. Its the crankcase breather vent. As you take it apart note the orientation of that hose into the housing. When you put it back together position it the same so it is free and clear, not pinched or bent. On my 2014 Limited I serviced mine in a hurry and put it back together, not realizing I had slightly pinched that breather hose. Next day on a short ride I noticed I was running 45 psi oil pressure, 15 above normal for my bike. On retracing my steps I found I had bent that hose slightly, restricting its flow. Its not hard to get together right you just have to pay attention, and I didn't!

Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 PM
rfulford
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

AussieDog...thanks, that's one of the reasons I sort of hated to take it apart as I couldn't tell where the hose went to. Didn't know if it connected onto something or was just open.

QNman...thanks...I have a older version of a Harley Touring Service Manual, but I thought they may have updated something and that I wouldn't have to deal with any extra breather hose or whatever. That's one of the reasons for my post.

Magnut1...thanks....what type lock tite do you put on the center bolt when you put it back?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

Blue locktite.

don't use red or it will be a **** to get back off.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Blue won't hurt anything, but I actually don't use Locktite on the air cleaner cover itself. I've never had an issue with it backing out either.