Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerostich

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 AM
nhbubba
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought my first Harley. I've been riding "something else" for 20 something years now. I have a 'stich. I ride it 90% of the time, even on my Harley. I also wear a full-face Shoei helmet, gloves and specialized motorcycle boots. I wear all the gear almost all of the time, even in the heat. I get the "aren't you hot in that" comment all the time. It was old about 10 years ago and hasn't gotten any more desirable to hear over and over again.

I'm a motorcycle dork and I don't care what anyone thinks about that. Style wise I should probably be on a BMW R1200GS or something. But I don't trust the BMW to run and was scared off by the asking price. So, here I am; on a harley rocking the ATGATT look.

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter 2-piece suit. I bought this suit new in 2013. I bought a 48R jacket and wear it as delivered. The pants are 46S and were altered to remove an additional 2" of material from the thighs. I now-for the first time ever-have a suit that fits well in the shoulders AND in the inseam at the SAME TIME! It's amazing. Nothing else fits off the shelf. I've been mixing and matching gear and dealing with pant legs dragging on the ground for decades. No more! Custom fit!

I added all of the armor that Aerostich offers including the beefier back pad from the Transit suit. Armor and protection are really important to me. In 2015 I was in rural West Virginia on day 2 of a 10 day camping trip when I mis-judged the gravel in a corner and crashed at about 40 MPH. The bike and I slid for about 20'. I sheared off a foot peg, twisted a pannier and generally rashed the crap out of my motorcycle. I was fine. No road rash. No broken bones. Not even a bruise! The suit protected me VERY well. It is damaged, but not terminally so. I intend to send the suit in for repair someday but haven't gotten to it. This is NOT "one and done" gear. It can survive a crash and still be effective.

I use the suit mostly for commuting and touring in 3 seasons, rain or shine. In the winter I occasionally ride my dirt bike on frozen lakes with ice screws and wear the Roadcrafter jacket for that as well. (I wear motorcross gear under oversized work pants on my legs on the ice.) The suit is super versatile. I find the suit extremely comfortable. For me the biggest advantage is how easy it is to put the suit on/off. Two zips and a snap and I can step in/out of the suit when commuting. It is warm, but not excessively so. It actually flows a lot more air than you would think. The shell does not insulate much and definitely requires a layer underneath in the fall and winter. Heated gear compliments the suit nicely. In the summer it can be very hot if not moving. I find the heat of my new big twin exacerbates this. When moving the heat is okay up to say 90-F or so with our humidity. After that I'm reaching for the mesh summer gear instead.

Water resistance has been disappointing. I feel aerostich advertises the roadcrafter as "waterproof" and I bought it specifically because it uses goretex fabric. I justified the price by figuring I could ditch the rain oversuit. This isn't the case. The suit leaks in moderate to heavy rain. Mine suffers from "roadcrafter crotch" which is pretty embarrassing. It looks like I peed myself. I have not cleaned or treated the suit in a while. It's on my todo list. I intend to use the special waterproofing wash Aerostich recommends. But the suit has never been really waterproof. Not to my expectations anyway.

The suit was expensive as sin. But I figure it paid for itself in the crash in WV by itself. That I was 100% uninjured and able to finish an epic vacation was worth the ~$1000 up front all-day, every day. Highly recommended.