Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dielectric Grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dielectric Grease

Since I'm chasing an electrical problem, I came across a thread about dielectric grease.

How many use dielectric grease on their electrical connections?

Is this something that should be put on the ECM connector to help keep moisture out?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dielectric Grease

I would only recommend it if you are willing to deal with the absolute mess it will create. The stuff I've used for outdoor wire nuts essentially never dries or even skins over, and is a royal pain in the *** to get off your hands.
There may be varieties out there that don't exhibit this behavior but I don't know of any. I would recommend RTV or other style caulking if you want to create a flexible yet watertight joint in your connector headers.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. It's the same stuff. And yes, by all means use it when connecting the ecm plugs. An electrical engineer told me this years ago and it has never failed me....or him.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

So even though the ecm connector has a boot, I should use a dielectric grease? How much should I use -- slather it on so it fills the holes or use sparingly -- I'm unclear on this part. Still seems odd to me to be adding a non-conductive material into something I want to conduct VERY WELL.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

I *always* use dieletric grease. Sure, it will mess up your hands but it will stop corrosion in its tracks. Last time I had a bulb failure the failure was actually in the socket contacts. A little cleaning, a squirt of grease and problem no more.

It's really cheap insurance.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

yeah EJC you can buy in tubes. I agree with all above.... I use it all the time..... in work and on bike.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Should I spray an electric contact cleaner on any connectors, such as the ecm connector, and let dry for several minutes before applying the grease?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

So even though the ecm connector has a boot, I should use a dielectric grease? How much should I use -- slather it on so it fills the holes or use sparingly -- I'm unclear on this part. Still seems odd to me to be adding a non-conductive material into something I want to conduct VERY WELL.
You don't have to load up the connection, just coat the two halves with some. Get enough on the pins to coat them. No need to get sloppy. The last time I used Vaseline was when I connected the PCIIIusb connections to the HD ECU. No problems. I know it seems weird, but greasing distributor points years ago seemed really crazy the first time I did it.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

Should I spray an electric contact cleaner on any connectors, such as the ecm connector, and let dry for several minutes before applying the grease?
That certainly won't hurt and, as a matter of habit, is a good thing to do.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM
beemer737
Tourer

use the dielectric grease sold in a small tube, dab a small dlop on each female connector slot, like very little, dab a little and spread around seal, put the parts together, wipe off excess. Best part of Di grease is it makes it really easy to pull apart the parts later. If you use to much, it will be messy.

Quick Reply: Dielectric Grease