Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift lever tension

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:20 AM
clhollister
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift lever tension

2017 FLHXS purchased new January 2018. The shift lever is very tight. The reach and amount of effort needed to pull clutch lever to shift gears causes hand fatigue. What are options to help decrease tension?

Last edited by clhollister; 04-25-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

SHIFT lever or CLUTCH lever? If it is the clutch lever, many have complained about the higher effort of the hydraulic clutch system. This is such a personal evaluation that a trip back to the dealer is about the only sure way to find out. Squeeze the lever on several similar machines on the display floor and see if they are similar. The unfortunate answer may turn out to be "They all do that". There may be a few after market fixes, but they won't be covered under warranty.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

The clutch pull may loosen up slightly over time as parts wear in (I found this to be the case with my ‘16 RGS). I’ve also read some people have liked the clutch pull better than it came stock after some miles and then flushing the clutch fluid out with new stuff. (Which I will be doing a clutch and brake flush this weekend).

Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

That lever is hard effort when new. As you get milage on the bike it will ease up some. Whether it is still to hard to work it is personal. Do a search on easy levers...I believe someone makes a replacement.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
The clutch pull may loosen up slightly over time as parts wear in (I found this to be the case with my ‘16 RGS).

More likely the musculature adapts to the load. OP, the clutch pull is what it is. Get some hand squeezer exercisers and ride more; it'll work out

Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
[/LEFT]

More likely the musculature adapts to the load. OP, the clutch pull is what it is. Get some hand squeezer exercisers and ride more; it'll work out
So the human must adapt to the machine, rather than the other way around. Perhaps Harley indeed needs new management. How can a piece of new equipment which is harder to use than the old piece, hydraulic vs cable clutch, be considered an improvement?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
So the human must adapt to the machine, rather than the other way around. Perhaps Harley indeed needs new management. How can a piece of new equipment which is harder to use than the old piece, hydraulic vs cable clutch, be considered an improvement?
More HP and TQ require stronger clutch springs; you can't have it both ways. Customers demand more of everything without the first idea of what goes along with it. Can't blame Harley for that. The hydraulic clutch was something a salesman could tell a new bike buyer that didn't need adjusted, knowing it needed fluid flushes at a greater rate than brake systems because it's used more often. Again, this is customer driven because surveys and focus groups showed today's potential and current Harley owner want less maintenance. They never thought they'd get a non adjustable clutch with a harder pull that required fluid flushes.

Cruise around here an have a look at some of the threads in the General and Touring Forums. The sh*t these people want to come standard on a motorcycle rivals what a car has. The moral of the story is this, be careful what your wish for.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-26-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax

Might be but mine had a “catch” that was right around the start of the friction zone which made it a little sketchy when I first got it. I noticed that over time it got less and less and eventually went away. Maybe I adapted but the clutch pull doesn’t seem as stiff as it did when new when I pull it out of the garage each spring so something happened. It’s gonna get a flush in the next few days so I'm interested to see what the fluid looks like.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:21 AM
clhollister
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks all. I am riding and exercising my hand to help with this, and fluid flush will be discussed during next maintenance.