Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seat, Tallboy, Mustang SuperTouring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts
Default New seat, Tallboy, Mustang SuperTouring?

Im looking for a seat to sit me back further, off of my tank, on my ‘18 Limited.

I demoed a Tallboy and I liked how far back it was, and I liked that it was lower and lowered the center of gravity. It felt like a different bike. What concerned me was the passenger pillion being narrower and thinner, and my arms were outstretched on the handlebars, with just a slight bend.

Does anyone have experience with the Mustang SuperTouring on the newer Limited or Ultra? How does it compare to the stock seat in height from ground? How is the passenger pillion for comfort compared to stock? Also, for those who know, how does the Mustang compare to the Tallboy as far as height, distance back, and passenger comfort?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:58 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

You're in luck buddy!!! Just did the exact thing. Here is my experience on my 17 Limited. Hated the tallboy and it's hanging up in my garage. PM if you're interested. I put about 200 miles on it. It had me too far back and it took all of the passenger space. I also slid a lot in that seat for some reason because it lacks a "pocket" or a "backstop" sort of speak. Yes, I used a backrest, but the way the seat angled, I slid back into what was a very minimal backstop, which angles up and back towards the passenger area. Wife never road on it because I just didn't like the seat myself.

Now as for the Mustang. Trust me on this one. I called Mustang and I'm so glad I did!!!!!!!!! He talked me into the Mustang Summit which is the same as the SuperTouring, but the passenger area is wider and meant for the Rushmores to current. So, on the 14s and later, the TP is actually further back than 13s and previous. The SuperTouring will fit and look nice, but that Summit will give you full coverag in width and length for the passenger and will have 0 gap. Again.....this isn't me talking. This was Mustang. The Super Touring is 19 inches wide for rider/14 for passenger wide and the Summit is 19/16 inches wide. It's right there on their website ...will fill up that space nicely.

As for the ride. I absolutely freaking love it. I hated the stock and didn't ride with it much. The Mustang got me back off the dang tank but nowhere near as far back as the tallboy. I believe it lifted me just a tad bit. Ever so slightly, but that ended up giving me a lil more leg room down to the floorboards. But I believe the almost 2 inches back just makes things so freaking nice.

The quality is super. I have them both hanging on my wall and it's crazy because the seat pan on the TB is like flexible cheap plastic. The one on the Mustang is thick and supportable. I can't bend the seat. My wife loves the back. She has plenty of room. To me, the seat is firm and I expect it to break in more. I have about 1,000 miles on it. I'm headed to Miami on Saturday...I actually have a small sheep skin on the seat for some cushioning and I have the circulator pad too. For me, I just want some additional cushioning. The TB was mushy....the Mustang, for me, is firm....and I'm just breaking it in....hence the sheep skin, plus it stops you from sweating

Man, it's all subjective .....I like it, you may not. But when I first got it, I went from Tallboy to Mustang back and forth, back and forth to compare sitting positions and the Tallboy had me so far down that my legs were bent more when on floorboards, but it allowed me to plant my feet better on the ground. It made me feel like I was on my Street Glide that had a solo seat---I sat down/in that bike like it was a softail. I'm 5'11" and can flat foot with the Mustang when I have on my riding boots. I didn't think I would like that the seat is as high or a tad higher than stock, but I love it.

This was a long answer, but I was trying to give you all I could think of.

Both you and your passenger will experience the peak of comfort with the Summit Super Touring seat, designed for the 2014 Rushmore line. The one-piece "Super" comfortable touring design provides the rider and passenger with the fullest, most comfortable seat possible. The 19" wide Super front bucket sits the driver 1.75" further back than the stock seat. The passenger seat is a full 16" wide and fits perfectly with the Rushmore speakers and Tour-Pak.

Last edited by sfcmo357; 04-24-2018 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sfcmo357:
dDavid (04-24-2018), probsd (12-07-2020)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 PM
EricsnNC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sfcmo357, will you email me? I have not been a member on here for five days yet so I can’t PM yet. I have a question for you. My email is ericsnnc@hotmail.com. Thank you for your service! I was at Bragg in 2003. I was with the 514th MP Co assigned to the 16th MP ABN.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:46 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I tried several seats and the Mustang was the winner for me. The passenger seating area is about the largest on the market, and the driver area is flat and comfy. My stocker was rounded there and after a few miles it felt like I was straddling a sawhorse. Tried a Corbin and it was way too hard, tried a gel insert in stocker and that made it more firm, but not any more comfortable. Tried a sundowner and liked its memory foam, but not much seat space for mamma. The Mustang was the answer.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
He talked me into the Mustang Summit...
Do you have the optional driver backrest for the Summit? Mustang says the receiver for the backrest is built into the seat. How do you like it? Is it adjustable, or fixed in one position? Thanks!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:41 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
Do you have the optional driver backrest for the Summit? Mustang says the receiver for the backrest is built into the seat. How do you like it? Is it adjustable, or fixed in one position? Thanks!
I have a super tour in my barn, the backrest is built in seat, and adjustable

Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
love it. Very adjustable.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 AM
zeke7142003
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased the Mustang Super Touring seat for my 2912 Street Glide for when I do long rides. I like it. It keeps me back about the same distance as the stock seat, which is great, but puts me up by about an inch. It's comfortable and the backrest is kinda nice. The only downfall with the back rest is it's not secure in the mount, meaning someone could grab it and walk off with it. Also, I'm going to have to get a slightly taller windshield because the airflow now hits me in the head (I'm 6").

Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
Im looking for a seat to sit me back further, off of my tank, on my ‘18 Limited.

I demoed a Tallboy and I liked how far back it was, and I liked that it was lower and lowered the center of gravity. It felt like a different bike. What concerned me was the passenger pillion being narrower and thinner, and my arms were outstretched on the handlebars, with just a slight bend.

Does anyone have experience with the Mustang SuperTouring on the newer Limited or Ultra? How does it compare to the stock seat in height from ground? How is the passenger pillion for comfort compared to stock? Also, for those who know, how does the Mustang compare to the Tallboy as far as height, distance back, and passenger comfort?
I have one , if you would like to mount on your bike, let me know, I'm a little east of Toledo, You could put on your bike, and see how it sits, probably close to 50 mi. from Detroit

Old 04-28-2018, 07:52 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,787 Likes on 1,350 Posts

How tall are you? The Harley stock seat on the limited is pretty good if you are in the 5'10 to 6'2 range. The cvo's have the heated hammock as oem and that is a fantastic seat but very pricey.

Quick Reply: New seat, Tallboy, Mustang SuperTouring?