Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 AM
MtnJarhead
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of clutch

I have a 2017 RGU, The other day riding, I notice what seemed to be a loss of power on the scoot, I kind of chalked it as to the heavy winds i was riding in. Yesterday I was riding home and the same thing kind of happened on the freeway, went to pass and just didn't have the zip. Well I found out what the issue was, when I got off the freeway. I had no clutch when I went to downshift, luckily for me the light was green and i just forced the downshift. Got the scoot on the sidewalk and did not see any leaks anywhere, started playing with the clutch and the pressure started building up some so i got home. The bike sat outside for about 25 mins when out there to put it in the garage and i had full clutch again and still have it. Just seems like when things warm up after a bit that I lose it. Anyone seen or heard of this?

Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 AM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Hydrolic or Cable Clutch?

Sounds like you need to do a clutch adjustment...

Wait 24hrs for things to cool and settle down follow your maintence manual do a clutch adjustment and RIDE!!!

Last edited by rgrecco; 04-14-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,110 Likes on 3,652 Posts

Might need fluid or bleeding or the pack needs adjusting.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

2017 is hydraulic...get into the dealer for a check...should be under warranty, if something's amiss.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

It sounds like the engine was sumping. That generates a ton of heat that can overheat the clutch slave cylinder and fluid which shows up as "no clutch".

Definitely need to get it into a dealer. You're not going to fix any of that at home.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Wow, good thread.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:24 PM
jbweaver
Stage II

What was it?

Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Originally Posted by jbweaver
What was it?
Looks like the thread was started before the recall. HD recalled the slave cylinders on these bikes for the symptoms the OP describes.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM
jbweaver
Stage II
Default shifting from 5th to 6th clutch lever pressure gone? Not always but enough. 130k 14SGS though!

I see sumping and the recall. I took mine in and still have problems. Now shifting from 5th to 6th clutch lever pressure gone? Not always but enough. 130k 14SGS though!
Have had one secondary actuator lock up on me also. On my third.

Last edited by jbweaver; 07-08-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by MtnJarhead
I have a 2017 RGU, The other day riding, I notice what seemed to be a loss of power on the scoot, I kind of chalked it as to the heavy winds i was riding in. Yesterday I was riding home and the same thing kind of happened on the freeway, went to pass and just didn't have the zip. Well I found out what the issue was, when I got off the freeway. I had no clutch when I went to downshift, luckily for me the light was green and i just forced the downshift. Got the scoot on the sidewalk and did not see any leaks anywhere, started playing with the clutch and the pressure started building up some so i got home. The bike sat outside for about 25 mins when out there to put it in the garage and i had full clutch again and still have it. Just seems like when things warm up after a bit that I lose it. Anyone seen or heard of this?
My bike did that to me 3 times. The first two times I just let it cool down, pumped the lever a few times and it started working again. The last time, the 3rd time, it just completely failed. I made it home barely. I did have enough clutch the next morning to ride it into the Shop. They had to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder to fix it. Your issue sounds exactly like mine.
As others have said, take it to the Dealer Shop. You can't fix that issue at home.

Quick Reply: Loss of clutch