Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chubby WO575 Install ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 AM
mnbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chubby WO575 Install ???'s

I am in the process of installing a set of WO575's on my 04 Ultra. I alsoput on some Arlen Ness grips during the install. When I put everything back together my throttle cable does not snap back to idle position. It feels like it is binding on something but I can't see where anything is wrong, other than maybe the throttle cables are pulled too tight?? Did anyone have to reroute their stock cables to get them to work properly. I had to stop working on it to get to work $$$but I would appreciate your insight before I start on it again in the AM. I need to be riding by noon. I also installed a Sony GT510 with thebiketronics kit, Ipod controller and the new JM speakers.(my stock stereo died) Willgive an update after the weekend's ride if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Default RE: Chubby WO575 Install ???'s

Could be binding. Other things to check is the tension screw on the bottom of the throttle and check the cable ends at the carb/intake. When I swapped my grips and bars out I inadvertantly had the end of the cable come out of the thing-a-ma-bob that it goes in and it was tight and binding as you describe.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you have your throttle pushed too far onto the bars making the end of the grip contact the end of the bar on the inside? I've done that so I know its possible. Goodluck

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 AM
mnbagger
Advanced

Thanks for the replies so far. I work until 6AM and then will be heading right for the garage so this helps. I will check the carb out and make sure everything is ok there. The end of the grip has a roller bearing, so that is not it, the grip rolls very smooth without the cables installed.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 AM
gdbro4
Cruiser

Hello everyone. I'm interested in getting a set of Chubbys W0575's for my '07 Ultra. Wherecan I findthe best prices?
Does anyone know if the wiring can be run through the bars instead of outside the bars with zip ties?
Anyone install these on there bike and how difficult was it? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 AM
mnbagger
Advanced

The bars are set up for internal wiring andthat is the onlythey will work without modification. There is no groove on the bottom side of the bar for the wires to sit in.The install and the wiring was pretty easy, but I am having a little trouble with my throttle cable as you probably read. I am sure I will figure it out, I didn't have any time to look at it after I finished the assembly. I found the prices on the WO575's to be pretty consistent, just find a reputable dealer.I paid $200 including shipping.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

http://www.kenandjudy.us/Harley%20Pi...Bars/index.htmHere's a link explaining the swap over. I would also use a full top clamp instead of the two stock clamps. I work parts at an HD and know that they pre-released an 08 part number top clamp that is designed to fit under the radios in the baggers. If you want the part number I can PM it to you tomorrow evening as I don't recall it off the top of my head.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 AM
mnbagger
Advanced

I had that link printed out when I did the swap. SUPER HELPFUL!! Anyone looking to do this swap, print it out and have them with you. I like the idea of a one piece clamp, I will pm you for the part #.Not sure what the throttle is up to, but I will figure it out.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM
screemnjay
Cruiser

You very well could have short cables. +2 or +4willlikely free you up.
I've installed a few sets of Chubby's that said they were stock cable compatible. If you have to be creative with the routing, in my opinion, it's really not worth it. In the end, if you replace the cables, it looks right and functions as it should with no issues.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer

I installed 575's a few weeks ago. My throttle cables are rerouted but still a little tight. I have ordered longer cables I think will take care of the problem. wires wer easy to run through bars but disasembling the plugs ar trickey until you have done one. It took me a little while to complete but very happy with result.

Quick Reply: Chubby WO575 Install ???'s