Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018 | 09:28 AM
Kennebec
|
Novice
Default 944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle

I am a proud owner of an (used, but fairly well taken care of) 06 electra glide ultra classic (with over 87,000 miles on it) and the I want to upgrade the rear shocks. I'm looking at the 944's but do not necessarily need/want the rear-end of my bike lower.
​​​​​​
1. If you lower the rear do you need to lower the front as well?
2. What other options would the HDforums hive-mind suggest to improve the rear shocks.

I would like to keep the cost around 700.

Thank you in advance for your patience and assistance in helping out this first time harley rider.

​​​​​​​I know that this has been asked before. But I'm on mobile and am finding it difficult to properly search.

Old 04-11-2018 | 10:39 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kennebec
I am a proud owner of an (used, but fairly well taken care of) 06 electra glide ultra classic (with over 87,000 miles on it) and the I want to upgrade the rear shocks. I'm looking at the 944's but do not necessarily need/want the rear-end of my bike lower.
​​​​​​
2. What other options would the HDforums hive-mind suggest to improve the rear shocks.

Thank you in advance for your patience and assistance in helping out this first time harley rider.

​​​​​​​I know that this has been asked before. But I'm on mobile and am finding it difficult to properly search.
You can get Ohlins from Howard, well within your listed budget, give him a call.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/contact.html

Old 04-11-2018 | 10:44 AM
head
Road Captain

You don't have to lower it unless you want to. I put my 944s on my '06 Road King and love them. The bike had 13" shocks from the factory. I went with 13.5" 944s. Rides like a dream to me.

Old 04-11-2018 | 10:44 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member

You don't need to lower the front if you lower the rear one inch.

I have the 944's on my 03 RKC right now. I have a pair of ohlins 3-3's as well. Just need to be re-valved. Ohlins are 5x better than stock air shocks. The 944's are 3x better than stock. I don't like the lowered 944 though as I will scrape in aggressive riding.

For $700, I would contact howard and pick up his budget Ohlins. Not sure what they can be had for with forum discount, but not much more than that. And by budget, they are still going to be leaps and bounds better than most of what can be had.

Otherwise, I'd look at Revo, Pro-Action ($800), and Bitubo from DK Customs are a solid shock for a heckuva price around $500.

I'd by and large skip the 944's. Only reason I got them is for the down time when I send my Ohlins off for re-valving and I picked them up used for $200 on the forum here.

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:51 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
You can get Ohlins from Howard, well within your listed budget, give him a call.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/contact.html

Spent much less than your budget getting Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal. Custom high end stuff to boot. Howard at Motorcycle Metal knows his stuff.

Old 04-11-2018 | 11:00 AM
seanl
Road Master

Last summer I picked up a set of the Ohlins Blacklines from Howard (#2-3b) and the bike sits a just a hair taller than stock without rider--these shocks are 13 5/16" with 97mm of stroke. Ride height feels about the same as stock when I'm rollin....but the ride is so much smoother vs. those rough air shocks. Plush and comfy on the freeway but plenty firm for the backroads.

I've got 1000, maybe 1200 miles on them now. Very happy with my upgrade for under $700 (not counting the cost of the floor jack I bought to do the swap myself!).

Last edited by seanl; 04-11-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2018 | 11:33 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

A friend suggested Pro Action which is what I put on my Road Glide. $820 I believe and a choice of 12 or 13 inches. They like I guess Progressive or Ohlins set them up for you by your and passengers weight.

Old 04-11-2018 | 11:47 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

944s kind of suck IMO.
Like they said, you can get ohlins matched to your weight for less than your budget. contact howard.

Old 04-11-2018 | 01:44 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain
Veteran: Navy

Like some others, I would probably not go with the Progressive 944’s, but if you do, it will be much better than the crummy air shocks....

Ohlins and Legend are “arguably” the best, but they come at a higher price point. You can get entry level Ohlins under your price point, but you will likely give up rebound adjustability.

In the $500-$600 range for touring rear shocks, take a look at the Bitubo’s (preload and rebound adjustable), as well as the JRI’s (when found on sale or close out in that same price range).

The Pro Action shocks retail at $795, are made in America, and carry a lifetime warranty. Not sure what kind of deal or discount might be available from forum sponsors, but certainly worth checking into if that’s the choice you make.

Consider this as well - once you change the rear shocks, you will highlight how crappy the oem front fork suspension really is, and you will want to fix that ASAP.....

Also consider staying with the 13” shock length for its better/longer travel, and maybe going with a shock mount lowing kit combination, if lowering is what you want or need.

I was able to upgrade my Road King rear shocks (Bitubo’s) and my front fork internals (Progressive fork cartridges), including having my Independant mechanic doing the fork work swap out labor, all for $850.00.

If you can do the work yourself, you can likely get really close to your total $700 budget for a complete suspension upgrade. If you go with new rear shocks and upgrade the front fork internals with new and better springs and heavier oil, and even some intiminators or cartridge emulators, and do the work yourself, you can save a little bit more over the drop in cartridge setup, if the budget is on the firmer side. If your budget can slide up a couple hundred bucks, I strongly recommend cartridges in the front forks.

Last edited by HM_SanDiego; 04-11-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2018 | 05:53 PM
nsdhoward45
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kennebec
​​​​​​

i have a pair i can let go for 700.00 about 2500 miles pm for more info these are the -1 inch models

Last edited by nsdhoward45; 04-11-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: wrong model

Quick Reply: 944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle