Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018 | 03:06 PM
Kennebec
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Plenty of great companies to buy from, Most give you a better experience than stock,.
Sounds about right. My current stock setup is

Old 04-12-2018 | 04:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Not really. I had the 2.5 adjustables and did not like them. Definitely better than stock. But still, fairly harsh on our terrible Wisconsin roads. I spent quite a bit of time adjusting them and spoke with Howard a couple of times to get it sorted. Based on the "tie wrap" test I was set up properly.

After that I was pretty discouraged. I mentioned it to a friend who had a similar bike with Progressive 444HDs. When we traded, I loved how his bike rode. I immediately bought the 444HDs and put them on the bike - night and day difference.

That said, I sold the Ohlins to a HDF member who said he loved them.

My point - some people like Ohlins. Some people like Legend. Some people like Pro Action. As for you and I (and a LOT of others), we like Progressive. Ohlins are extremely well made shocks. But so are Progressive. The obvious advantage to the Ohlins is that they are rebuildable. Progressives are not. But they do have a lifetime warranty. And I feel they are very well made.
You're right, it's not a one size fits all deal... Kinda like seats, bars, pipes...

Old 04-12-2018 | 04:20 PM
Softy 103
Banned

I would not waste my money on the budget Ohlins from Howard, I have them and I'm not impressed

Old 04-12-2018 | 04:29 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
Not really. I had the 2.5 adjustables and did not like them. Definitely better than stock. But still, fairly harsh on our terrible Wisconsin roads. I spent quite a bit of time adjusting them and spoke with Howard a couple of times to get it sorted. Based on the "tie wrap" test I was set up properly.

After that I was pretty discouraged. I mentioned it to a friend who had a similar bike with Progressive 444HDs. When we traded, I loved how his bike rode. I immediately bought the 444HDs and put them on the bike - night and day difference.

That said, I sold the Ohlins to a HDF member who said he loved them.

My point - some people like Ohlins. Some people like Legend. Some people like Pro Action. As for you and I (and a LOT of others), we like Progressive. Ohlins are extremely well made shocks. But so are Progressive. The obvious advantage to the Ohlins is that they are rebuildable. Progressives are not. But they do have a lifetime warranty. And I feel they are very well made.
Well said, Nevada. In a perfect world, before we made a major investment, we would have friends who had our exact bikes and we could check out all "their" mods at length and then be able to make a very educated decision on how to spend our hard earned money. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and sometimes, this and other forums can over complicate the issue. I have replaced bars, seats, backrests, suspension and tires trying to get a better ride. Is is better? You bet. Is it the best? I seriously doubt it. No matter what some say here, a Harley is not the epitome of comfort or handling, nor should it be. If you want comfort? Come sit in my Natuzzi recliner. Now that is comfort. Handling? Lots of better choices for that too. Sometimes we just have to be happy, grateful and blessed that we have what we have and move on.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018 | 06:24 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I would not waste my money on the budget Ohlins from Howard, I have them and I'm not impressed
Really, and you adjusted and tweaked them already? I am curious, that is all. My first impression was good ... I still need to put miles on them.

Old 04-12-2018 | 07:02 PM
Softy 103
Banned

They are adjusted. They have been rebuilt, they have been resprung, with new springs. Quite honestly my buddys bike has the H-D premium adjustables and it rides just as good as mine. I just put legend axeos on the front, and if they are half as good as every one says they are I will be buying their shocks for the rear also. Everybody talks about Howards Ohlins shocks, I have never been impressed with the magic he supposedly performs on them, maybe I should have just dealt directly with Ohlins.

Old 04-12-2018 | 07:21 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok now I remember the posts...

Old 04-12-2018 | 07:49 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Ok now I remember the posts...
Yep,

Old 04-13-2018 | 10:53 AM
Kennebec
|
Novice

Found some 444's on Amazon for $50 less than just about everywhere else. I'm sure that they will make the ride 100% better.

Old 04-13-2018 | 10:53 AM
Kennebec
|
Novice

Found some 444's on Amazon for $50 less than just about everywhere else. I'm sure that they will make the ride 100% better.

Quick Reply: 944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle