Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018 | 07:44 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puglia10
944s kind of suck IMO.
Like they said, you can get ohlins matched to your weight for less than your budget. contact howard.
Yea this. I bought a set new never could get them adjusted to my liking. Sold them at a loss. Next time I get the extra cash I'm giving Howard a shout.

Old 04-11-2018 | 08:28 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhuff
You don't need to lower the front if you lower the rear one inch.

I have the 944's on my 03 RKC right now. I have a pair of ohlins 3-3's as well. Just need to be re-valved. Ohlins are 5x better than stock air shocks. The 944's are 3x better than stock. I don't like the lowered 944 though as I will scrape in aggressive riding.

For $700, I would contact howard and pick up his budget Ohlins. Not sure what they can be had for with forum discount, but not much more than that. And by budget, they are still going to be leaps and bounds better than most of what can be had.

Otherwise, I'd look at Revo, Pro-Action ($800), and Bitubo from DK Customs are a solid shock for a heckuva price around $500.

I'd by and large skip the 944's. Only reason I got them is for the down time when I send my Ohlins off for re-valving and I picked them up used for $200 on the forum here.

Old 04-11-2018 | 11:36 PM
Kennebec
|
Novice
Default Thank you

Wow, what a response. I contacted motorcycle metal, and will probably go that route. I forgot to mention that I am already getting the front end replaced with progressive cartridges. I was just thinking about getting the rear-end done also. Thanks again for the great feedback. Appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2018 | 03:56 AM
NELS
Road Master

FWIW : I had progressive mono's in the front of my '10RK and did-liked them so much I switched then to Axeo cartridge. A much better ride.
Ohlins in the rear . Front and rear dropped one inch with no problems.

Old 04-12-2018 | 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kennebec
Wow, what a response. I contacted motorcycle metal, and will probably go that route. I forgot to mention that I am already getting the front end replaced with progressive cartridges. I was just thinking about getting the rear-end done also. Thanks again for the great feedback. Appreciate it.
I just did the front progressive cartridges and the Ohlins 2-#2 , I kept stock height...I looked. At Progressive, Bitubo, Pro action, legends and in the end for me I decided on Ohlins. Only have a handful of miles on them but I could tell in the first 10 miles I had done good.

Old 04-12-2018 | 06:25 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned

Agree on the stuff Motorcycle Metal offers.

Originally Posted by Kennebec
But I'm on mobile and am finding it difficult to properly search.
If you have an iPhone, you can request desktop site for this forum site (or any web site really). Not sure about the Android stuff though.

Last edited by Ex-Leftcoaster; 04-12-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2018 | 07:47 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Why would you even consider 944s if you don't want to lower the bike? - that's what they are for - lowering.

Take a look at the Progressive 444s. They are well under your budget (easy to find under $500) and work great. I had Ohlins and didn't like them. I tried a buddy's bike that had 444HDs on it and liked the way it rides so I got myself a pair and sold off the Ohlins. I love my bike now.

Old 04-12-2018 | 09:48 AM
Crimson
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72
Why would you even consider 944s if you don't want to lower the bike? - that's what they are for - lowering.

Take a look at the Progressive 444s. They are well under your budget (easy to find under $500) and work great. I had Ohlins and didn't like them. I tried a buddy's bike that had 444HDs on it and liked the way it rides so I got myself a pair and sold off the Ohlins. I love my bike now.
I got the 444's as well and like them. I also put in the progressive front spring replacements as well to go with it. Very happy with it. I'm sure a customized Ohlins setup would be better but the Progressive's were good enough for me and improved things tremendously over the stock setup. Also relatively cheap.

Old 04-12-2018 | 10:14 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crimson
I got the 444's as well and like them. I also put in the progressive front spring replacements as well to go with it. Very happy with it. I'm sure a customized Ohlins setup would be better but the Progressive's were good enough for me and improved things tremendously over the stock setup. Also relatively cheap.
Not really. I had the 2.5 adjustables and did not like them. Definitely better than stock. But still, fairly harsh on our terrible Wisconsin roads. I spent quite a bit of time adjusting them and spoke with Howard a couple of times to get it sorted. Based on the "tie wrap" test I was set up properly.

After that I was pretty discouraged. I mentioned it to a friend who had a similar bike with Progressive 444HDs. When we traded, I loved how his bike rode. I immediately bought the 444HDs and put them on the bike - night and day difference.

That said, I sold the Ohlins to a HDF member who said he loved them.

My point - some people like Ohlins. Some people like Legend. Some people like Pro Action. As for you and I (and a LOT of others), we like Progressive. Ohlins are extremely well made shocks. But so are Progressive. The obvious advantage to the Ohlins is that they are rebuildable. Progressives are not. But they do have a lifetime warranty. And I feel they are very well made.

Old 04-12-2018 | 12:33 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Plenty of great companies to buy from, Most give you a better experience than stock,.

Quick Reply: 944's or how I stopped worrying and loved my motorcycle