Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax or DTT??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thundermax or DTT??

I know this has probably already been asked, but I'll throw it out there again.

Which of the closed loop/auto-tune systems is the best at adjusting to our "homemade" engine builds?

What about timing, which one adjusts the timing the best to avoid pinging?

Which one is the most user-friendly?

The basemap database for the Thundermax is pretty limited, and there is really nothing that is close to my build. Is there a basemap list for the DTT that I can view?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax or DTT??

well i have the DTT and it adjust on the fly, the TMAX you have to turn off and on to adjust. Any thing that is close or not for the DTT will work and adjust... Now the DTT is not the most user friendly but if you can get through the setup your done with it. Neither adjust timing that is a manual adjustment. i like the DTT have never used the TMAX but I keep reading about how peeps have issues with the base map. Other then that its a judgement call.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The DTT is much more tuneable, espically from the perspective of ignition timing.

As I understand it, the TMax is easier to setup.

For folks that are PC literate, engine savvy, and have the wearwithall to read and re-read when necessary, the DTT is not nearly as bad as some might lead one to believe.

DOwnload the PCLink tuning software here: http://www.daytona-twintec.com/downl...TCFI2D_V10.htmand install it. The base MAPs are included, so you can see them there. Once you set the IAC & TPS, the DTT tunes itself in very quickly so base MAP is reall not that big of a deal.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with PhilM and Spike, much moretuning capabilities with the DTT TCFI IID. I installed the 96" map and tuned, and was sure there was more in the engine so went back to the original map, entered an entire new tuning curve based on the 95 high performance map, and rode again, letting it tune. My bike is spot on now, no pinging, good fuel mileage, great throttle response and easy starting.

I think the T-mas Autotune is a good system but with the mild to wild builds with mix and match components, I think the DTT has the edge.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Has any body done a before and after test on the dyno when switching to thundermax or DTT to see what you gain? Another question for you guys is, how much cutting of the factory wiring do you do for the install?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rideon

Has any body done a before and after test on the dyno when switching to thundermax or DTT to see what you gain? Another question for you guys is, how much cutting of the factory wiring do you do for the install?
I have not dyno'd after my DTT, but I can say for sure that it rides better than B4. Most of my pervious justification for dyno was that it was a requirement for tuning. Now, that;s not the case at all.

The DTT is plug & play. ZERO cutting of anything. It would be quite simple to pull one out and put the stock ECM back in if one was so inclined.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

Steve, look at Map 283....that's what I'm going to use as soon as my new FatCat gets here.

I chose the TMax because it's very simple to setup ...plug and play if you have O2 bungs....and it's capable of creating an excellent tune. How close the map is to your build does affect how long the tune might take, but not the final outcome. If you have properly matched components and program it for proper AFR's across the rpm and throttle position ranges, you will end up with your perfect tune. Timing can be changed, but not with the accuracy and range of the DTT, but certainly enough in capable hands to stop pinging, etc.

The TMax tunes all the time and doesn't require a new download from a computer like the DTT....just a stop and restart for constant tuning....no laptops on trips etc.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either system.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Is anyone using the updated TVII from Terry Components? Without having to cut the wire harness it seems like a good alternative. A friend of mine installed it on his 07 RG and it seems to work damn good. I am almost considering it myself instead of a PCIII. We will have to wait and see.

Neil

Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

new download? since when? you can apply the BLM to speed up the process... There is no need to bring a laptop on the trip but us motorheads like to tweek what can we say..... Yes it is good to connect up every once and a while to apply but it's also nice to see how things are running.... the first trip out it will run like crap but apply the BLM's 3-4 times and as ROncosays set it and forget it.

As for a before and after Ill try to get over this weekend to throw it up on the dyno to get a PCIII to DTT comparison. I need to do it before I do my HQ build

Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not dyno mine after the engine build, prior to installing the DTT. I do know that when I did dyno it I was disappointed, so that is why I went back and remapped the timing across the board, and then reset the Alpha N tables and cylinder trim tables, then just rode it, and reset the tables again. It is spot on now with good hp and tq. Don't think I could have done that with the Tmax and gotten the results I have. I also changed from Rinehart TDs to a RB Racing Blackhole 2-1 exhaust, and the amount of self tuning that went on in the system was incredible. I have also been able to "detuned" it a bit for more mileage

I am not knocking the Max as there are a lot of people who swear by it, and I have no personal experience with it, but for my money , I am more than satisfied with the DTT .

Quick Reply: Thundermax or DTT??