Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Loctite confusion....which one? 262? 271? 277?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:55 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

263 is primerless!

But most applications you can use blue!

Old 04-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I am also in Wisconsin. You can find loctite at WW Granger. Most Ace Hardware. Fleet Farm and Farm and Fleet. Also any bearing shop or store. Walmart sells both I believe as well. Side note Permatex is made by ITW Corp. That company's Headquarters is located in Illinois. Maybe it's a geographic issue lol. Good luck

Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by jammerx
263 is primerless!

But most applications you can use blue!
for a compensator bolt...I'll stick w/ the red.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Budda109
I am also in Wisconsin. You can find loctite at WW Granger. Most Ace Hardware. Fleet Farm and Farm and Fleet. Also any bearing shop or store. Walmart sells both I believe as well. Side note Permatex is made by ITW Corp. That company's Headquarters is located in Illinois. Maybe it's a geographic issue lol. Good luck
yea, true Ace may have it....may be by one today. FFarm is hit/miss....though I like browsing there so may swing in today. Worst case get a 50 lb bag of cashews for $14.99

Grainger is typically pricey but in a pinch a go to place & can pickup there too. I bought a bunch of c-clips there few years back (for clutch handle). HD wants like $1 for each one so bought a whole bag at Grainger for a few bucks.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:54 AM
FLAMED96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, i get my oil plug o-rings by the hundred at Mcmaster.com for like $5 bucks when Harley wants a buck a piece for them.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:14 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
for a compensator bolt...I'll stick w/ the red.
Last year I had some "klanking" in my primary case. Got it back to my garage. When I tore it apart I found the compensator bolt had come loose!

When I inspected it I didn't notice any damage. Cleaned it up and used RED permatex (don't know #) thread locker. When I torqued the bolt I added a little more for good measure! I have put 6000 miles on it since, all is well.

My comment for permatex: In your packaging for red, don't put it in a BLUE tube! When I was in ACE hardware I almost walked out thinking it was blue locker! Looked closer and the package did say red.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:18 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Last year I had some "klanking" in my primary case. Got it back to my garage. When I tore it apart I found the compensator bolt had come loose!

When I inspected it I didn't notice any damage. Cleaned it up and used RED permatex (don't know #) thread locker. When I torqued the bolt I added a little more for good measure! I have put 6000 miles on it since, all is well.

My comment for permatex: In your packaging for red, don't put it in a BLUE tube! When I was in ACE hardware I almost walked out thinking it was blue locker! Looked closer and the package did say red.
yea the red in a blue tube thing is super confusing....I concur.

the loose comp nut is why I want to find the 262 and go by the manual. (I've used Permatex blue and even with that I've not been convinced by its quality.)

For the life of me, no one around here carries 262. Just called Ace, Fleet Farm, Napa....no one.

Looks like Amazon it is....but its $10 there. I found that kinda high so thought I could get it locally for $7ish? no go.

Even called the local dealer....they only carry 271.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by glasspilot
... My comment for permatex: In your packaging for red, don't put it in a BLUE tube! When I was in ACE hardware I almost walked out thinking it was blue locker! Looked closer and the package did say red.
I guess the marketing geniuses at Permatex didn't think of that.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

I have used all kinds of thread lockers in industrial applications and with heavy equipment. I have never seen much use for Red or Green thread lockers. For most applications if Blue is not adequate, the threads on the fasteners are worn out and need to be replaced. In this situation a higher strength may help.

I quit buying Loctite brands simply because there are too many formulations of the same colour for too many different applications. It looks like Permatex is starting to go the same way. They used to just have Red, Blue and Purple. Purple for small screws. Blue for serviceable applications of normal size fasteners, never needed anything more than Blue, even for large bolts. I see their Red now has applications for smaller bolts, larger bolts, then high heat. I think if I had to use Red I would avoid the high heat and just choose by fastener size. But I would probably still stick with blue unless I was having issues with the fastener coming loose all the time.

If I had to choose Red or whatever other strength I need, I would just pick up whatever is available no matter what application they recommend it for. Plain and simple, Purple for tiny screws. Blue for serviceable applications you can remove with standard tools. Red for permanent applications, you must use the heat from a torch to release it. I only keep Blue in my shop. Purple in the hobby room for RC cars and airplanes.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:26 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I have used all kinds of thread lockers in industrial applications and with heavy equipment. I have never seen much use for Red or Green thread lockers. For most applications if Blue is not adequate, the threads on the fasteners are worn out and need to be replaced. In this situation a higher strength may help.
In this case the Harley service manual specifies Locktite red 262 on the compensator nut. Following the manual is always a good idea.

Quick Reply: Red Loctite confusion....which one? 262? 271? 277?