Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have Swapped Hand Controls on Police Road Kings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:31 AM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Those Who Have Swapped Hand Controls on Police Road Kings

if anyone has swapped the police hand controls on a road king to the regular style in pursuit of cruise control or whatever, what did you do about the aux/running/fog light controls?

I'm considering a FLHP purchase and am researching all the caveats first

Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done this. I took delivery of my 09 FLHP with the police controls swapped out for civilian control so I'd get cruise control. That worked great and when this swap was made they used the left aux toggle switch for the passing lamps. That did mean that that switch was now dedicated to the passing lamps. I have since done some mods on this setup...I will try and dig up those links.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:35 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

14 & up gonna have cruise on the police hand controls, if you are looking a Rushmore bikes.

So I got that and a few extra switches. I'll hook some up one day to something.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:05 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

If you end up with a <14 bike and enable factory cruise, I'd recommend at least getting the right civilian control that has the set/resume/accelerate switch. What I soon hated about the left factory control is that whenever I went for the high beams, I'd get the horn, or, when going for the horn I'd hit high beams. I think the police horn is in a much more natural position.

In addition, the left police control gives you some extra switches:
1. Siren...it is where civilian horn is
2. Yelp...this is the the opposite side of the horn

I made use of both of these in a mod I detailed on RPB.com which I recommend subscribing to if you go the police bike route...here is that post.

I used the Siren switch for my passing lamps. This put the Passing lamps right next to the High beams. I used the Yelp to toggle my odometer so that my hands don't leave the bars when changing settings. I even tracked down how to get the Pursuit "P" to come on in the tach... a feature I lost this when the right police control was swapped out for Cruise. I had a post on this but I can't find it in RPB after that forum had an update.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidRik_Von
If you end up with a <14 bike and enable factory cruise, I'd recommend at least getting the right civilian control that has the set/resume/accelerate switch. What I soon hated about the left factory control is that whenever I went for the high beams, I'd get the horn, or, when going for the horn I'd hit high beams. I think the police horn is in a much more natural position.

In addition, the left police control gives you some extra switches:
1. Siren...it is where civilian horn is
2. Yelp...this is the the opposite side of the horn

I made use of both of these in a mod I detailed on RPB.com which I recommend subscribing to if you go the police bike route...here is that post.

I used the Siren switch for my passing lamps. This put the Passing lamps right next to the High beams. I used the Yelp to toggle my odometer so that my hands don't leave the bars when changing settings. I even tracked down how to get the Pursuit "P" to come on in the tach... a feature I lost this when the right police control was swapped out for Cruise. I had a post on this but I can't find it in RPB after that forum had an update.
I would live to see those write-ups. And chance you would cut and paste into HDF?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:04 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Well, here is a try and BBcode C&P:

Hi All,

I am interested in having my unused Siren switch on my 09 FLHP activate the passing lamps. Has anyone done this mod?

I have been poking around the 09 Sup Manual (THx Gman) and this is the stock police setup:

The passing lamps are grounded in the housing and the GY/BK wires to light them connect to 73A:

The 2 wires are now GY/BN & GY/V and show being connected to the Pursuit Flasher... Since I didn't tear apart the nacelle nor do I know the details of the bike's decommissioning, I took a look a the connection at the back of the switch that enables my passing lamps (67A&B in the above 2 diagrams):

This is a better look a the wires leading to the above 67A connection...they appear to be GY/BN & GY/V:

It appears that when the bike was decommissioned the GY/BN & GY/V wires were removed from the Pursuit Flasher, paired together and inserted into 67A. When the nacelle switch is enabled, the O/R wire powers the passing lamps via the the GY/BN & GY/V wires. FWIW, the passing lamps work with both high and low beams which is different than the stock FLHR.

This is the back of the left controls showing the red Siren switch:

That is the O/W and PK/BK for the Siren switch shown here:

Now, to enable the passing lamps with the Siren switch, I believe I need to do the following:

1. Since the O/W wire is shared and powers many thing, cut the O/W wire just after its slice to the Siren switch
2. Splice a separate run of wire that would allow me to connect the O/W wire from the Siren directly to the O/R wire that currently powers the passing lamps
3. Connect the PK/BK wire on the Siren switch to the GY/BN + GY/V pair

For 1-3 I would use the proper connections within the existing plugs.

Does anyone see any problems with this approach? The passing lamps are stock Wagner sealed beams (one white and one yellow) and will not be upgraded.

THx!

~~~~~~

gorillaman wrote:
What operates the pass (aux) lamps now?
The stock toggle switch shown at the bottom of the first diagram. It is located just behind the fork lock on the left side opposite the Mic jack.

You can just see it here:

~~~~~~~

amsmith170 wrote:
Looks like an OK thing to do - When making noise, the siren draws nearly as much current as the passing lamps, so that's not an issue. Mine is running from the Pursuit switch on the right... I still have an available Aux on that switch, on the middle section. The full on is for the lights. That way I get the "P" indicator on my tach when they are on. Not sure if that's an issue with your setup.

Thanks for this amsmith170. When I took delivery of my 09 FLHP I had factory cruise installed and with that came civilian controls. I forgot about that P light as I have never seen it work on my bike however I want it to light when my passing lamps are on. If I can get some time this holiday weekend I am going to see if I can get the P to work...more to come.

~~~~~~

OK, I was able to wrap this project today.

My bike has civilian control as it has factory cruise. When decommissioned the passing lamps were wired as described above and the connection was a bit flaky where I had to occasionally jiggle the the 4 place connection to get the lights to come on. I always liked the horn position on the stock police left control so I wanted to add that back to my bike as follows:

• Siren On/Off turns the passing lamps on and "P" comes on in the tach
  • Yelp toggles my odometer
  • Cruise On/Off is the left switch on the back of the nacelle
  • Garage door opener to tank console

Siren On/Off turns on passing lamps
I got some of my wiring questions answered in this thread. I pulled these 2 wires from the right control:
  1. O/V power pursuit lamps and siren amp
  2. G/R pole lamp and is also linked to the tach to illuminate the "P"

And moved them to the left control.

In order to power the Siren switch with the O/V wire, I needed to separate it from the O/W that provides the Siren power:

This is the wire loom showing the O/W wire that powers: left turn, horn, yelp, and Siren

Here I cut the O/W that leads to the Siren switch:

Applied a butt splice:

Then applied the heat shrink with glue on the inside:

Because I could not get matching wire I hit this Orange wire with a purple Sharpie. This wire now connects to the O/V at the junction at the end of the run coming down the bars. The PK/BK coming from the other side of the Siren switch connects to the G/R wire that lights the passing lamps and illuminates the tach "P":

Yelp toggles my odometer
Last winter I did this mod to move my speedo next to my tach. In doing so I kept the odometer switch in its stock location on the left side of the tank console. I liked this position however the yelp switch is a momentary switch like the odometer switch and using yelp for odometer means hands don't leave the bars when toggling between time and milage A/B.

The odometer switch is not powered so I needed to separate yelp from its O/W power. Below, Yelp is the switch with TN/BK, horn is Y/BK and they share O/W power.

I spliced a new run of wires such that the yelp switch was not powered.

Cruise On/Off...
I don't have any photos here other than the left control before this change...cruise On/Off was just below the left turn button:

Because that switch is gone, I used the stock toggle switch on the left back of the nacelle. Previously this was my passing lamps on/off. Here I just used the Accessory power which I believe is R/O rather than splicing O/W power to this switch.

Garage door opener to tank console
A long time ago I wired up an odometer reset switch to trigger my garage door opener and placed this in the right back of the nacelle (where Mic was). This worked well however I need to make a 180 degree turn to get into my driveway and in order to use this switch I had to remove my right hand from the bars/brake... Being that my odometer moved to the left control/Yelp, this position opened up. I leveraged some unused wire to connect the GDO to the left tank console so that I can open the GDO with my left hand. The reset switch that was on the back right of the nacelle now also operates the odometer along with the Yelp.

So here is what it looks like with my chrome switches added:

While I had the hood up on this project I also spliced in a run of wire to the Y/BK so that I can run a Stebel Nautilus horn that is on order. This will need to be run off of a relay so this run of wire will lead to that. The challenge will be where to hide that horn...

Old 04-08-2018, 12:40 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Well I picked up a 2012 police model a couple days ago and despite what I had read online, my running lamps are wired to be on full time, so none of the switches do anything. Hell, the horn doesn't even work. So yeah, I'm gonna need to look through the electrical schematics regardless

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Log in at HD.com with your VIN and you get access to your wiring diagrams. Good luck!