Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering the rear with stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering the rear with stock shocks

I'm toying with the idea of taking off my air shocks and going back to my 13" stock shocks for a better ride. The upside to this is I have a 12 volt compressor already wired so I can change air pressure while riding. The other plus is the lines I used for the air shocks are the exact same lines Harley uses so they just plug right in.

I am looking at those lowering kits on ebay..anywhere from an 1" to 3"

Is anyone using one of these kits?

The only down side I see is it changes the angle of the shock.

Need feedback.

Thanks Brett

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lowering the rear with stock shocks

I used the white brothers lowering kit on the stock shocks it came with looks great, but now that I put the bag extensions onI ended up dragging the bottom of the bag on the ground on a left trun. Oh well.

Pete

Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thought of the same thing but wonder though if it would be way too easy to blow out the stock shocks? Anyway, before the air stuff I used 1.5" lowering blocks by TRW and really liked them. Never tried them two up, but for solo they were great.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the 1.5 in lowering kit by TJ Products. I ride 2 up from time to time - and generally, have no problems. The occasional deep chuck hole or manhole cover that I should've avoided in the first place causes that awful bottoming out sound/feeling...but its rare. I mostly ride solo though - so its not a problem. Just need to keep a little more air than normal in the shocks.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:13 PM
deford
5th Gear

I boughta kit off ebay that'll adjust infinently from 0" to 3". It does change the angle of the shock but dosen't cause any trouble there. The prob is I went too low(about two inches but who could resist) and shorted out my tailights on a few bumps that I too should have avoided. I also have Millwakee Bagger bags and scraped the bottom of my right bag a couple of times. Be thoughtful of that when you set the drop on whatever kit you get.
The kit itself is real easy to install...about half an hour, but now I've got to find the short a fix that....the price I pay for Draggin'.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If yours is like mine, the rear wiring harness runs right down the middle of the fender, so when you go too low the tire rums the harness, wears through and there's your cut wires. I just re-routed the wires through the vertical saddlebag support, across the frame under the chrome trim and in under the seat. No more problems...

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,628 Likes on 2,096 Posts

On older models you could flip your swing arm and put the shock mount below the swing arm. Not sure if it's possible on the newer models.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I started out LOWERING my RG 2 1\2" riding solo was not a real problem but needed to keep air pressure in the rear @ around 40psi - Lost alot of the soft ride..
With 2-up Needed to jack the air pressure WAY UP as to not bottom out!!!
Re-adjusted the lowering cam to a -1 1\2" drop and needed less air and improved the ride a bit and used far less air pressure in the rear even 2-up
Finally went with Progressive 440's - same drop but improved ride!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
precisionworks
Cruiser

I bought an eBay lowering kit (1.5") for my 2000 FLHTC.

It felt funny at stop signs. The ride was horrid & rough. Despite all this, kept it on until the day I leaned hard into a fast left-hand turn ... the frame scraped the pavement hard enough that the bike straightened up in the middle of the curve. First time my heart ever stopped during a ride. Went home, changed underwear, removed the kit & sold it on eBay. God help the person who bought it[:@]