Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 to 103 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018 | 07:20 PM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I remember test driving one of those way back, it set my head back good...
Kinda like this ... watch the orange one .. that's mine..

Old 04-08-2018 | 09:43 PM
paddywagon
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbo38gn
Kinda like this ... watch the orange one .. that's mine..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTfTDRoAgM
you might be a lil faster if you keep the wheels on the ground

Old 04-08-2018 | 10:01 PM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

Originally Posted by paddywagon
you might be a lil faster if you keep the wheels on the ground

Like this one ...

Old 04-09-2018 | 05:53 AM
paddywagon
|
Advanced

Yes, like that one.
Always loved the Grand Nationals. They were blacking **** out before blacking it out was cool.

Old 04-09-2018 | 06:31 AM
Turbo38gn
Advanced

Yes, like that one.
Always loved the Grand Nationals. They were blacking **** out before blacking it out was cool.

Yaaa, didn't know anything about them 25yrs ago, other than I had a few customers that I did maintenance and upgrades on. They kept telling me how fast they were, the more I worked on them, the more I liked them. Today, we build them for customers all over the country..

Ok, I need to get back to the thread ...

So I'm about to cam my 09 FLHCU .. got the 570 cam, can get some 2014 103 stock cyl, pistons.. already have the Fuelpak, rhineharts and SE open air filter... anything else I need besides the .030 head gaskets ..

Old 04-09-2018 | 10:50 AM
paddywagon
|
Advanced

I’m going down the same road. It’ll be about a month before I have my parts, and I’m going a little taller on the cam.

And a thought just occurrd to me. The placement of the exhaust ports are the same fon the ‘16 jugs as on the ‘09? I’d hate to have to replace the exhaust on top of everything else.

Old 04-09-2018 | 03:00 PM
Mike07roadking
Cruiser

RE: "I cant check the run out to see if it's in spec until the bike is apart, which would add up to extra time down which I'm really not looking to do".

It is amazing how this starts out as just a $500 part... $500 turns into $5000 fairly fast. on these upgrades.

If you bought the parts its kind of late now. But depending on your mileage, that run out could be a show stopper for making a torque monster.

If you go with a cam you will need the compression releases per all the responses I got back on my quest for knowledge on this conversion. This is because. that displacement and a tall cam will put you over 10:1, stock is 9.2:1 and that still will fry a starter.

Not to pour cold water on this, but It would be a good idea to look inside that cam-chest 1st before going into total rebuild, especially if you were not the original owner..

If you open the cam chest & the wear shoes, cam plate bearing look good you are probably good to go but, I would take a run out reading for peace of mind.. If you pull the cover and can see wear in that outer shoe, you may have some run out issues and some need for concern. . .

I'm in the middle of this conversion now on my 07 RK, but I am using the SE factory kit with SE 255 cams and having manual CR's installed.

Other parts you may want to conceder would be: Heavier clutch spring or beefier clutch.
I would also conceder doing the compensator and chain tensioner, if I am going to play around with that clutch.

Good luck... I wish I knew how to make it stop...... Oh, you may want to upgrade the brakes too..

. .

Old 04-09-2018 | 03:18 PM
paddywagon
|
Advanced

So far I haven’t bought any parts yet, and won’t buy the cams until I get it apart to see what I’m dealing with. While I’m not the original owner, I bought it with only about 1500 on the odometer. I’m going with the easy start cams, but may wind up doing compression releases on the heads as the 103 heads are already set for them.
But like you said...this started out as $125 LED headlight upgrade😖

Old 04-09-2018 | 03:55 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

So far I haven’t bought any parts yet, and won’t buy the cams until I get it apart to see what I’m dealing with. While I’m not the original owner, I bought it with only about 1500 on the odometer. I’m going with the easy start cams, but may wind up doing compression releases on the heads as the 103 heads are already set for them.
But like you said...this started out as $125 LED headlight upgrade😖
Wow, all I can say is you changed my mind about buying an LED headlight...

Old 04-09-2018 | 03:57 PM
paddywagon
|
Advanced

But it’s a great headlight

Quick Reply: 96 to 103 questions