Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stronger starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018 | 10:49 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

I just picked up some new cables from Sumax.
A new starter clutch is next. www.spraggusa.com , I've used this in my old fxd.

Old 04-01-2018 | 11:27 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by brohoss
Hopefully they are. When i hit the button, there's a slight hesitation before the motor turns over. Would that be an indication their working?
to me that’s an indication your battery is starting to fail. Sounds like your symptoms your battery has lost cold cranking amps or whatever it’s called. Still holds value when connected to a tester but when you need real power from it there is nothing. Soon it will just go completely dead and leave you stranded. Couple weeks maybe. I think the reason it helps to hit start before the fuel pump is cause that puts a load on the battery seconds before and kills ant initial burst of energy when a load is first drawn. You know how a battery will recharge itself or stabilize and have more juice after it’s gone dead..it’s dead but after the demand on the battery is gone the battery will regain power. The regained power is gone in the first burst when a load is placed on it. So if you hit the start before the pump primes you get some of that initial burst that is available.

Last edited by SnoRider; 04-01-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2018 | 10:51 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Id check the battery first but sounds more like a starter clutch or compensator to me.

Old 07-06-2018 | 01:14 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by EdwardK
My 2013 Limited has the ACR's so yours should too.

All above is good advice. Especially both ends of the battery cables. One thing I'd like to add that may or may not help. Make sure you press hard on the start button and don't let off until it's fully started. I had a similar issue and realized I was being a little light on the start button and also letting go before the bike was really started. It would hit once and I'd either let off too soon or not have it pressed hard enough, the starter would disengage and I'd get the kick back.

Good luck
Maybe Im guilty of this as well. My 01 Intruder 1500 LC would start in a split second with a strong battery. Sometimes I get weird noises & a clunk on my 09 ultra classic. Maybe Im not giving the starter enough time to get going.

Old 07-07-2018 | 03:59 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dave grider
first thing first CHECK YOUR BATTERY

Second thing is CHECK YOUR BATTERY!

Old 07-07-2018 | 05:20 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

I know this is an older thread, but between the last post and now, I had similar symptoms to what some are describing. A hesitation, slow cranking...didn't know the age of the battery, and I don't trust load tests all that much...have done MANY load tests in my time while working at an auto parts store, and they ain't always reliable...so I replaced battery, within a coupla three starts on the new battery, no cranky. Time for new starter.

Figgered the extra forty bux or so for the HD starter out of the P&A catalog was worth it, but my local dealership couldn't find the one they had in stock. Well, of course! The service bay no doubt had it! So I got an OE starter, works fine, will find someone to rebuild my original takeout to heavy duty specs and put it away until the next time. And we KNOW there will be a next time, don't we, class?